Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LHW title contenders

Go down 
+4
SOKO
NoRegret
LA
Farmer1906
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

LHW title contenders Empty
PostSubject: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 3:01 pm

Current Title Fight: Machida vs Shogun

#1 Contender: Evans vs Rampage

Next in line:

A) If Jones beats Vera then the winner of Jones vs Couture

or

B) Lil Nog is he can beat Griffin
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Should be Page/Shad winner, then Nog if he beats Forrest
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 3:06 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Should be Page/Shad winner, then Nog if he beats Forrest

+1
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 3:11 pm

agree with la
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 4:28 pm

I doubt they would make a matchup between Jones and Couture. Jones isn't a big name yet and Dana knows that fight would end via massacre
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 4:45 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
I doubt they would make a matchup between Jones and Couture. Jones isn't a big name yet and Dana knows that fight would end via massacre

If Jones beats Vera that'll be the 2nd free fight he's headlined and won. Then what better way than smashing a MMA legend to gain even more popularity and make a name for yourself.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

If Jones beats Vera that'll be the 2nd free fight he's headlined and won. Then what better way than smashing a MMA legend to gain even more popularity and make a name for yourself.

Technically he lost to Hamill last fight.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 4:48 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

Technically he lost to Hamill last fight.

I forgot that. I don't hold it against him. He beat Hamill and Hamill knows it just like we all do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 5:19 pm

I would like to see Randy Couture take on Rich Franklin while he waits for Machida and Shogun to finish their business.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Dana's official line was after the winners of Shogun/Machida and Rampage/Evans are decided they will see how "Randy fits in the puzzle". Most analyists think this means that Couture gets the nod if the Evans vs Jackson winner looks unimpressive or the fight is controversial.

If you ask me, Minotoro deserves the fight if he beats Forrest immediately and Jon Jones deserves the fight if he beats Vera impressively immediately. But for whatever reason the UFC doesn't want to infuse new blood into the title hunt yet.

I don't know that the UFC wants to give Rampage a title shot at all if things are similar to how they were between him and Dana/UFC when he walked away and announced his return. Rampage says he is just finishing out his contract and doesn't care about the title, and Rampage really cost the UFC in a big way by walking out on that fight, for several reasons. Not only did it waste the momentum for that season of TUF, but it forced them to patch together other cards in the shuffle to fill main events, forced them to make a fight with Silva to give Evans a new opponent that utterly tanked and made Evans look bad even if he won, and it also prevented the UFC from being able to use BJ Penn to counter Strikeforce and Fedor.

Does anyone know what Rampage's twitter says lately?

The UFC is going to weigh options and figure out if they can produce a marketable title fight with the winners of those fights, but clearly they don't have high hopes for what will happen if Couture is still a likely canidate after his bout with Coleman.

Evans can't carry a card on his own, we know that now after the last card he headlined tanked, and Rampage isn't likely to be granted a title shot if the situation hasn't changed. I think though, if Shogun wins, a rematch between Rampage and Shogun would be highly marketable, maybe enough to make the UFC see past what Rampage has done to them.

I am not sold on a rematch between Evans and Machida. Even if Evans knocks Rampage out impressively I don't know how marketable a rematch between those two could possibly be considering how one sided the last fight was and how one sided a potential rematch would appear to be to anyone observing.

Evans vs Shogun is a fight people might like to see. If they end up winning impressively that matchup would legitimately generate intrique.

Machida vs Rampage, should those two pan out might also be something the UFC could consider, especially since Machida is a really really bad match up for Rampage. The UFC could figure that Machida, if he beats Shogun soundly in the rematch, would probably walk through Rampage stylistically. This could milk one more big fight out of Rampage before he walks away.

You must read this wall of text.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 5:26 pm

I agree, but I also agree that if Jone beats Vera that Randy would be a natural next step for him to take. They can't keep trying to hold Jones back forever. He needs to start making leaps instead of babysteps.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 5:37 pm

The UFC is making strides with Jones. He is headlining their pilot card on VS, and the UFC shot down the idea of Jones vs Davis because Dana doesn't believe Davis is ready for Jones yet. This tells me Jones has moved out of the prospect category and into the late 2010/early 2011 contender cycle.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

I agree that it would gain recognition for Bones, I just can't see them doing that to Randy
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:38 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

I agree that it would gain recognition for Bones, I just can't see them doing that to Randy

Doing what? Giving him another headline and #1 contender shot against a inexperienced LHW.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:41 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

Doing what? Giving him another headline and #1 contender shot against a inexperienced LHW.

You could see it that way, or you could see it as feeding him to a younger, faster, stronger fighter that would cause tramatic brain injury to him inside three minutes.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

You could see it that way, or you could see it as feeding him to a younger, faster, stronger fighter that would cause tramatic brain injury to him inside three minutes.

If he's worried about getting hurt then he should quit fighting. Everyone is younger & faster.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:53 pm

I didn't say he was worried. But he should be. Jon Jones would maul Randy Couture and it would be an ugly beatdown.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LHW title contenders   LHW title contenders Empty

Back to top Go down

LHW title contenders
Page 1 of 1