Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Training

Go down 
+6
Cu Bu
franklinfan2
MMAEYES
NoRegret
LTFG
Farmer1906
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

Training Empty
PostSubject: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 11:58 am

Who does it? What exactly do you train? How often do you do it? When's your next fight? What weight class do you fight at?

I train BJJ 2 nights a week with the Texas A&M Team. I'm looking at hooking up with an additional gym to up it to 3-4 times a week. I'm probably going to start working on my stand up pretty soon too. I don't plan on actually fighting, but I do have a grappling tournament at the end of Feb. I'm debating trying to cut the 155. I walk around at the mid 170s.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 12:31 pm

I still box, but do very little rolling unless it's helping my kids out. Cardio 6 days a week and the bowflex replaced weights (Other than some dumbbell work) a long time ago. "Approaching" middle age and a broken neck have forced me to alter my approach to what I do and how I do things. It's all about staying fit and eating right for an old bugger like me. I have never had the urge or need to step in a cage myself... Even if the sport was big when I was of proper age to compete.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 2:49 pm

I did amateur boxing for a couple of months when I was 16.

And up til a few months ago, I had been training at a local gym in Thai Boxing, BJJ and doing their MMAFit cardio program for a few months. I ranked up to a blue belt in BJJ through working extremely hard at it for the 3 and a half months I was doing it.

I had to stop training because I lost both of my jobs and thus I no longer have any income.

I had one amateur fight that I won via submission in the 2nd round.

I want to get back into training but cant til I find a job.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 2:59 pm

I trained full time(5 days a week) for a year and a half at Buckeyemma in columbus ohio. Trainer finally told me I was ready for my first amateur fight and I find out he'd been overcharging my brothers account. To this day he owes my bro over a hundred dollars and I bet he never sees it. It crushed me cause I love that place but I can't train with a guy who ripped my family off ya know.

So now I'm training independent style at the only place with a mat in my town with a couple other amateur fighters that live here. Looking to compete in the arnold classic grappling tournament in columbus on march 7 at 168
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 3:07 pm

NoRegret wrote:

And up til a few months ago, I had been training at a local gym in Thai Boxing, BJJ and doing their MMAFit cardio program for a few months. I ranked up to a blue belt in BJJ through working extremely hard at it for the 3 and a half months I was doing it.

I had to stop training because I lost both of my jobs and thus I no longer have any income.

What did you sub your opponent with?
Back to top Go down
franklinfan2
Green Belt
Green Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rich Franklin duh!

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Like LTFG, I do cardio training cuz I'm old and I'll get fat if I don't.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 3:34 pm

I have cut back on training the last year due to my business taking off and the birth of my first child. I trained 4-5 times a week at USA stars,Tko gym and AMA. I train boxing,Muay thai,Wrestling and jui jitsu.

I have 7 fights(6-1)and prefer to fight at 170 i walk between 195-205

i have 18 amatuer boxing matches from toughman to smokers.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 4:51 pm

MMAEYES wrote:
NoRegret wrote:

triangle choke.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:07 pm

im a bjj blue belt, been training about a year. I started doing muay thai, boxing, and greco roman in the fall. I injured my finger in december and haven't been able to train much since then so i've been working on my cardio and lifting. I plan to return training full time in about a month and then compete in a grappling tournament in April in NJ. the place i train at is called Hudson Valley Jiu Jitsu and it's run by Brian Mclaughlin who is a bjj brown belt under Rob Kahn of Gracie Tampa. There's 3 pro fighters and 2 current ameteures. Got great trainers in all areas and some of the guys train at AMA quite often.
I do plan on fighting at some point but not until i know im ready.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:20 pm

oggy420 wrote:
im a bjj blue belt, been training about a year. I started doing muay thai, boxing, and greco roman in the fall. I injured my finger in december and haven't been able to train much since then so i've been working on my cardio and lifting. I plan to return training full time in about a month and then compete in a grappling tournament in April in NJ. the place i train at is called Hudson Valley Jiu Jitsu and it's run by Brian Mclaughlin who is a bjj brown belt under Rob Kahn of Gracie Tampa. There's 3 pro fighters and 2 current ameteures. Got great trainers in all areas and some of the guys train at AMA quite often.

Thats really cool bro. Alot of times at the amateur level, you will get guys that have little to no training background in several areas of MMA. This was the case against the guy I fought in my first and only amateur fight.

Dude had great wrestling for the amateur level, and had good muay thai but had no jiu jitsu experience whatsoever.

Once we finally got to the ground it was only about 15 seconds or so before I locked in my triangle and tapped him out.

How long did it take you to obtain your blue belt?
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:26 pm

about 6 months. Yea i mean i know i want to at least have an amateur fight by next year. My plan is to do a couple bjj comps and maybe an amateur boxing match or 2 before my first mma fight. If i had to put a date on it i'd plan on my first mma fight being sometime next winter, hopefully.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:28 pm

Yeah dude, im really hoping I land a job soon. I just emailed this lady today about a warehouse job where I would make about $12-15 an hour if hired. Im really hoping to hear back about that.

If I do, im definately going to get back into a gym quickly.

Do you know if I switch gyms if I will have to start back out as a white belt since itd be under new ppl? I never thought to ask about that.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:32 pm

im not sure actually.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:35 pm

but yeah dude, im going to try to make a weight cut down to 155 for fights if I do start training again.

Im at about 180 right now, and I wasnt really big enough for 170 which made it tough for me in my first amateur fight.

cutting down to 155 I'd be a huge LW, but thats alot of weight for me to cut lol

What's your biggest pain in the ass for cardio? haha
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 9:02 am

NoRegret wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:
NoRegret wrote:

triangle choke.

Nice
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 9:11 am

oggy420 wrote:

Smart man. Same here.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 9:15 am

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that buckeyemma is were Jason Riley trains. You know that unknown guy that fought Timmy on HDnet fights that Timmy KTFO in the first. Yeah Jasons a great guy but he def wasn't ready for that step up.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 10:33 am

After practice last night my instructor let us know that Chad Kight, a brown belt under Royce Gracie, is doing a seminar this weekend for us. I'm pretty pumped.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 11:25 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
After practice last night my instructor let us know that Chad Kight, a brown belt under Royce Gracie, is doing a seminar this weekend for us. I'm pretty pumped.

That's sick man. How much do they charge for them seminars?
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 11:36 am

MMAEYES wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

$20 for 2 hours is the plan. I figure its pretty cheap because they guy is an Aggie and most of the people coming are Aggies as well.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 11:38 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

$20 for 2 hours is the plan. I figure its pretty cheap because they guy is an Aggie and most of the people coming are Aggies as well.

Chad Kight used to teach my daughter's BJJ class, he was a purple belt at that time. Now she's trained by different coaches but the owner of the gym is an MMA fighter named Chad Robichaux, he's undefeated and a black belt.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 11:56 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

That's not bad at all. I bet you could learn alot in 2 hours with a gracie brown belt. Worth every penny
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 1:29 pm

Bigs03 wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

Chad Kight used to teach my daughter's BJJ class, he was a purple belt at that time. Now she's trained by different coaches but the owner of the gym is an MMA fighter named Chad Robichaux, he's undefeated and a black belt.

Yeah he's opening a gym in Sugar Land now. I used to live in that area and would probably give it a try if I still did.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

Yeah he's opening a gym in Sugar Land now. I used to live in that area and would probably give it a try if I still did.

Both Chads are really nice guys. Kight is a bit of a surfer dude type but he's very good on the mat. I have no doubt you'll learn a thing or two.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 11:22 pm

Bigs03 wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

Both Chads are really nice guys. Kight is a bit of a surfer dude type but he's very good on the mat. I have no doubt you'll learn a thing or two.

I totally understand when you say he's a "surfer dude type". The guy is skilled though. We worked a lot on tightening up the arm bar from mount & transitioning to a triangle too if they block the armbar. We also learned a neat arm bar from side control. A few other things and some takedowns too. He really crammed a lot of stuff in 2 hours, but not too much where I'll forget it all tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training   Training Empty

Back to top Go down

Training
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next