Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Iceman training again

Go down 
+3
SOKO
bronzehole
acccardinal12
7 posters
AuthorMessage
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

Iceman training again Empty
PostSubject: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 7:39 pm

I just saw John Hackleman tweeted 'Guess who's training again? Hmmm? There was a pic of Chuck hitting a heavy bag. I think it's a bad call for him to fight again since he is half retarded, but I can't say I wouldn't be excited to see him fight.
Back to top Go down
bronzehole
White Belt
White Belt
bronzehole

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 2:29 am

i take it everyone is extremly excited
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 1:35 pm

no doubt, lol. I figured OU would jizz on this thread or be teased a bit
Back to top Go down
bronzehole
White Belt
White Belt
bronzehole

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 3:22 pm

well i know i'm excited. Lets face it, Chuck's never going to cure cancer no matter how many tests he runs in his secret lab
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 2:39 pm

if he would focus on getting in and getting out and does not mind going to a decision he could put up a few good wins but nothing to prove chuck keep what brain cells you still have.
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 4:05 am

Training is an excellent way to keep in shape. Chuck Liddell hitting a heavy bag doesn't equate to a comeback any more any more than Michael Jordon shooting a basketball does.

I was really sad to see Chuck retire, but part of it was bitterness about how he went out. I hated the matchmaking, especially for the Shogun fight. MMA is a total 'what have you done lately sport', except when it comes to these legend-types like Liddell and Couture who were booked into top fights based on name recognition more than actual divisional ranking or ability and end up going out by getting their heads knocked off because of it. I'm sure the fighters themselves are a big part of it, never wanting to accept that they're on the decline, hoping to rebound for another chance at the top, but it still sucks.

If Liddell ever did make a comeback, a suitable opponent would be someone like Vladamir Matyushenko, but they wouldn't do that. They would promote a legends kind of fight against someone like Dan Henderson who is aging but still competitive and dangerous, and when it was over we would be relieved that Liddell was carried out of the Octagon on a stretcher instead of in a body bag.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 1:50 pm

Pretty sure most people expected Chuck to beat Shogun, he was like a 2 to 1 favorite
Back to top Go down
jewzilla
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
jewzilla

Favorite Fighter(s) : GOAT: GSP. Favorite retired: Brock, Chuck. Always supporting: Hendo, Chael, Cerrone, Forrest, Faber.

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 2:13 pm

Chuck should get on that trt like the rest of the dinosaurs and fight a few more times if he has it in him. Not sure where this whole chuck has been beaten retarded shit comes from.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Hope he's just working out and not considering a comeback
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 6:08 pm

Only way this makes sense j's if James Toney's been practicing," checking leg kicks and all that shit."
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 6:57 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Pretty sure most people expected Chuck to beat Shogun, he was like a 2 to 1 favorite

Liddell was -160 against Shogun and only that because of his popularity bringing in so much money on him. Liddell went into that fight having lost 3 of 4, two by ugly knockout, and at 40 years old. Shogun was 27 and had gone 14-1 in his last 15 (excluding the broken arm against Coleman). Chuck is hands down my favorite fighter of all time, but I don't know if many people other than Liddell homers and folks who had never heard of Pride had Liddell as the favorite.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 11:34 pm

Shogun was coming off a couple awful performances. It wasn't that one sided
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 12:49 pm

I remember thinking Chuck was gonna get killed by Shogun
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 1:02 pm

Shogun had gotten choked out by Forrest who people didn't even think that highly of at the time and then looked like crap against ancient Mark Coleman with over a year layoff in between and the beginning of his knee surgeries. Pride was a big enough organization, people knew who Shogun was and he had 2 fights in the UFC already. The books would've gotten crushed if all the sharp money was coming in on Shogun, there were plenty of questions about him going into that fight
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 5:04 am

I don't disagree that there were "questions" about Shogun based on his two previous performances, but I think that made it even worse match-making. If Chuck wins that fight Shogun would have been on the chopping block (at UFC 76 when he lost to Forrest he made more money than Forrest, Machida, Fitch, and Jardine who beat Liddell that night combined) and potentially even cut. What's a win over a guy who would have been at that point a Pride guy who washed out in the UFC do for Liddell or the UFC? Meanwhile a loss, especially a KO/TKO loss which was the most likely way a loss would come against a guy like Shogun, essentially ends Liddell's career. Ignoring the whole hindsight thing that proved it to be true, it was a very high risk/low reward matchup, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iceman training again   Iceman training again Empty

Back to top Go down

Iceman training again
Page 1 of 1