Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje Empty
PostSubject: Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje   Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 6:25 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/1/21/5330716/nick-newell-to-get-wsof-title-shot-against-justin-gaethje

By Nate Wilcox on Jan 21 2014, 11:01am

Saturday night Justin Gaethje beat Richard Patishnock to claim the inaugural World Series of Fighting Lightweight title. WSOF matchmaker Ali Abdelaziz announced that Nick Newell would be Gaethje's first challenger.

Newell talked to Jeff Sherwood about his title aspirations:

I could beat everyone in the world and there would still be people who say I suck, I am not good enough, or they don’t think I could do this or that. I have been dealing with that stuff my whole life and I just don’t listen to them. I just do my own thing. Whether you think I can or can’t it doesn’t really bother me, I am going to try and do it anyway.;

Here's a little bit of background on Newell by way of Ben Popper's in-depth bio on SBNation last month:

Newell was born with a congenital amputation, a shortened left arm that ends just below the elbow. It was a distinction which many felt would prevent him from succeeding in the fight game. Others argued that letting him fight two-handed opponents was downright inhumane, a freak show that shouldn't be allowed. But Newell never listened.

For Newell, the hardest part of fighting has always been finding opponents. He grew up in Milford, a working-class beach town on the Connecticut coast. His mother, Stacey, worked as a nurse and raised Nick on her own. "I always told him he was no different, never let him avoid a challenge or hardship because of his arm," she said. "The more we treated him like everyone else, the more he believed in himself."

These days Newell stands an imposing 185 pounds of chiseled muscle. But when he joined the wrestling squad his freshman year of high school, he was the smallest member of the team. "I was tiny, like literally 90 pounds, so it was tough to find someone my size." In one of his first matches there was just one competitor in his weight class, a girl, so Newell had to wrestle against her, and lost in front of his entire team and home crowd. "A really proud start to my fighting career," he says with a laugh.

That first year as a wrestler, Newell notched two wins and 22 losses. But he never thought about quitting. Wrestling became Nick's primary outlet, a place for him to focus. "For Nick, his coaches became sort of his father figures," explains his mother, Stacey. "They were the ones who helped to shape him and channel his drive." Despite his small stature and shortened arm, Newell improved quickly. His physical handicap forced him to focus on his technique. By his senior year of high school, he set a state record with 53 wins, going all-state.

Newell went on to college at Western New England, where he was captain of the wrestling team. There he befriended a young man named Brian Myers who shared his passion for the theatrics of Pro Wrestling. In fact, Myers, better known as Curt Hawkins, went on to a successful career in the WWE. As college roommates, the pair would obsess over wrestling on TV. Just after Monday night wrestling finished, a mixed martial arts reality show called The Ultimate Fighter would come on. "Seeing that, I knew it was something I had to try," says Newell.

Update by Brent Brookhouse: Not so fast on the title shot, at least until WSOF talks to both camps, per this Bleacher Report article:

I said this is a fight, I think Nick Newell deserves it, but I have to talk to both camps," Abdelaziz told Bleacher Report. "It's going to be a timing issue."

"I don't know if Nick Newell will want to wait this long—until June or July," Abdelaziz said. "I just have to be sure both guys agree and it fits our TV schedule. It has to make sense all around because it's such a big fight. It would go down in the summer, but it's not confirmed yet.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje   Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 5:34 pm

I'm looking forward to this.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje   Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 5:42 pm

The nub would mess with me like bum hands mess with Kevin Hart. Bum bumps and nub bumps
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje   Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Yeah it would mess with me also to be honest but I don't think it will bother justin gaethje.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje   Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm actually looking forward to this.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje   Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 11:40 pm

Same here primetyme.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje   Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 1:03 am

Oh I am also, but I still have a problem with the nub. I once had sex with this chick that had a nub. She didnt have that nasty bend like Newell though. It was just like elbow up. My friend Lindsey hooked us up. Good looking banker chick but had that nub to deal with...Marina was her name. One night stand and that was it. I have a buzz right now and I would probably palm the nub with my right hand while fuckin. Was that too much? True story either way.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje   Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 1:09 am

Great story....nubs are scary looking though.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje   Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 1:35 am

Yep. I remember thinking about that nub while I was banging her. They always have scared me, but this just goes to show what power our balls have over us.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje   Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 7:06 am

Yeah u are right there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje   Nick Newell to get WSOF title shot against Justin Gaethje Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1