Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nick Newell announces new deal with World Series of Fighting

Go down 
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Nick Newell announces new deal with World Series of Fighting Empty
PostSubject: Nick Newell announces new deal with World Series of Fighting   Nick Newell announces new deal with World Series of Fighting EmptyTue May 28, 2013 10:54 am

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/05/ex-xfc-champ-nick-newell-announces-new-deal-with-world-series-of-fighting
Quote :
If Nick Newell really wants to fight top-level guys who could help him get to the UFC, he's found a home to prove he can do it.

The fighter, who's posted an undefeated pro record despite being born with just one fully developed arm, today announced via Twitter than he's signed with World Series of Fighting.

The promotion will soon host its third event, which again airs on NBC Sports Network. However, Newell (9-0) is likely to debut in August or September, according to MMAFighting.com.

Terms of the multi-fight deal were not disclosed.

Newell most recently fought in December, when he submitted Bellator vet Erick Reynold (16-5 at the time) to win the XFC lightweight belt. However, he ultimately turned down a title defense against Scott Holtzman (4-0) and was stripped of the XFC title when the two sides couldn't come to terms on a new deal.

Newell said he simply needed to put his career first.

"Scott is sending me messages, calling me a p---y and stuff, and I don't appreciate that, man," Newell recently MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It has nothing to do with him. Nothing at all. I just had a different vision of what I wanted from my career than XFC had, and I decided to go my separate way. ... I'm past being an up-and-comer. I feel like I'm a veteran, and I'm ready to prove myself. I'm a different point in my career than Scott."

Newell, a congenital amputee, is missing his left hand and most of his left forearm. But eight of his nine wins have come by first-round stoppage, and he's defeated increasingly tougher competition.

The 27-year-old, who's based out of Massachusetts, has said his goal is to eventually get to the UFC. Earlier this year, UFC President Dana White didn't rule out the possibility but suggested it could be a tall task.

"The UFC's tough enough with two arms," he said.

However, with top prospects and proven vets under contract with the WSOF, Newell should get the opportunity to prove he can hang with UFC-caliber competition.
Back to top Go down

Nick Newell announces new deal with World Series of Fighting
Page 1 of 1