Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

FW a better option than WW for Penn?

Go down 
+9
oggy420
redvexx8
LA
Ninja
timthebim
Wolfgangsta
KingsOwn19
captain organic
Farmer1906
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 2:09 am

I don't think anyone at WW could hold him down enough or win enough of the position battle to score real damage besides maybe a Koscheck, maybe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 11:14 am

Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:
I'm sorry, but Aldo is not beating BJ at the present moment. His standup is amazing against fighters at 145, but he is no where Penn in terms of striking. There is reason Freddie Roach said BJ has the best boxing in MMA and add the fact that he has a granite chin he is not getting beat on the feet any time soon. I would go as far to say BJ also is better on the ground than Aldo is and would submit him if he got him there.

Aldo is great fighter at 145, maybe the best. But at the moment he would have major problems with guys at 155 who are bigger than him. The guy does have tremendous upside though considering his age and could be one the best fighter P4P when he enters his prime. At the moment though I am interested to see if he could beat Faber.

I agree. Aldo would have all kinds of problems with ufc 155ers. I also think the bigger fights are at WW for BJ.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 2:00 pm

Damn, it gets under my skin when I have to agree with Wolf. Looks like I will be scratching an incurable itch all day now. Look, Aldo is a very good fighter, but some of his best challenges are against guys that couldn't hang at 155 but are now contenders at 145... We are supposed to believe that the best 155er on the planet (By 10 fold) is supposed to get a challenge from Aldo why again? Seriously? What about Aldo's game screams that he's in BJ's league? Are we so desperate for chatter about challenges to BJ that this is what we are left with?

As far as challenges at 170 short of GSP... Against Alves the second it goes down to the floor, it's over. Against Kos, BJ would do what he did to Diego, and Kos has shown that he wants to trade and doesn't have the chin to take big shots. Plus, I'm not convinced that Kos could take BJ down and man handle him. I have a feeling we are going to see a focused BJ at 170 after he beats up a couple more LW's.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 2:12 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Damn, it gets under my skin when I have to agree with Wolf. Looks like I will be scratching an incurable itch all day now. Look, Aldo is a very good fighter, but some of his best challenges are against guys that couldn't hang at 155 but are now contenders at 145... We are supposed to believe that the best 155er on the planet (By 10 fold) is supposed to get a challenge from Aldo why again? Seriously? What about Aldo's game screams that he's in BJ's league? Are we so desperate for chatter about challenges to BJ that this is what we are left with?

As far as challenges at 170 short of GSP... Against Alves the second it goes down to the floor, it's over. Against Kos, BJ would do what he did to Diego, and Kos has shown that he wants to trade and doesn't have the chin to take big shots. Plus, I'm not convinced that Kos could take BJ down and man handle him. I have a feeling we are going to see a focused BJ at 170 after he beats up a couple more LW's.

Tell me, who has been a "challenge" for Aldo? As far as I can tell he's walked through everyone that's been put in front of him.

Not saying he could beat BJ but I think he'd do better than Diego.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Bigs, re-read my post... I wasn't referring to past fights. Aldo fought a bunch of nobodies and a Cub leading to his title fight against Brown. I was referring to his future challenges at the weight since he's really proven little other than beating Brown. I mean some of the chatter in this thread has made it sound like he is on BJ's level because of him holding a title in the WEC and beating Brown to win it. Let the kid beat Faber, Grispi, Assuncao, Manny, Garcia or Mackens before we start acting like he's the 145 pound version of prime Iron Mike. Again, we are talking about a division in an org where a guy like Manny who couldn't beat the likes of Emerson or Tavares can go and become talked about as a contender after 2 decision wins.

As far as doing better than Diego... My 13 year old would have had a better game plan than looking like an unadaptable statue in front of BJ for 4½ rounds, so that's not saying a lot. Of the LW fights BJ has had, Diego put on the worst performance by far. Sure Sherk, KenFlo and Joe Daddy were finished quicker, but at least they looked like they were in the fight somewhat...

You know what, for argument sakes do me a favor... Please tell me in what aspect of the game Aldo is on BJ's level. Is he as good of a striker? Can he test BJ's chin when the likes of GSP and Machida couldn't? Is he going to beat BJ on the ground? I'm just looking for a well reasoned thought as to why Aldo is being discussed as a legitimate challenge to BJ, especially this version of BJ... I mean we all realize this isn't the same BJ that fought Hughes and GSP at 170, right?
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 6:20 pm

What does Aldo have to do to be deemed worthy of challenging BJ Penn???

Beat Faber? Beat Manny after he wins a few more fights? Beat Edgar when he drops to 145 after he loses to Penn or another 155er?
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Penn vs Aldo is far from a superfight in the way Penn/GSP was. Aldo needs to defend that title at least 3 or 4 times before he should be considered for that kind of burden.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 6:32 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Bigs, re-read my post... I wasn't referring to past fights. Aldo fought a bunch of nobodies and a Cub leading to his title fight against Brown. I was referring to his future challenges at the weight since he's really proven little other than beating Brown. I mean some of the chatter in this thread has made it sound like he is on BJ's level because of him holding a title in the WEC and beating Brown to win it. Let the kid beat Faber, Grispi, Assuncao, Manny, Garcia or Mackens before we start acting like he's the 145 pound version of prime Iron Mike. Again, we are talking about a division in an org where a guy like Manny who couldn't beat the likes of Emerson or Tavares can go and become talked about as a contender after 2 decision wins.

As far as doing better than Diego... My 13 year old would have had a better game plan than looking like an unadaptable statue in front of BJ for 4½ rounds, so that's not saying a lot. Of the LW fights BJ has had, Diego put on the worst performance by far. Sure Sherk, KenFlo and Joe Daddy were finished quicker, but at least they looked like they were in the fight somewhat...

You know what, for argument sakes do me a favor... Please tell me in what aspect of the game Aldo is on BJ's level. Is he as good of a striker? Can he test BJ's chin when the likes of GSP and Machida couldn't? Is he going to beat BJ on the ground? I'm just looking for a well reasoned thought as to why Aldo is being discussed as a legitimate challenge to BJ, especially this version of BJ... I mean we all realize this isn't the same BJ that fought Hughes and GSP at 170, right?

I would say based on what I've seen of Aldo that he is much faster than BJ and his speed is actually his greatest asset. We've not really had the opportunity to see him on the ground much yet but word is he's very skilled there as well.

I don't know, I would pick BJ in that fight of course but it might be one of the better challenges out there for the prodigy outside of moving up in weight.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 8:07 pm

It should be noted that most guys who see Penn vs Aldo as a worthy fight think:

1)Of coarse Aldo needs to win a couple more big fights before the talk gets serious

2)The only reason Aldo is in the discussion is because there are no real challenges left at 155.

Right now is Alves a much bigger challenge for Penn? Yes.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Alvez > Aldo because of 25 pounds

But the a Penn fight with Aldo is a 5 round title fight between 2 greats at their weight class.

A fight with Alvez is nice and might help you get back to GSP, but we've seen Penn at 170 and he's not at his best.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 8:16 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Alvez > Aldo because of 25 pounds

But the a Penn fight with Aldo is a 5 round title fight between 2 greats at their weight class.

A fight with Alvez is nice and might help you get back to GSP, but we've seen Penn at 170 and he's not at his best.

Well yeah weight plays a part. As does age and experience. But good call on the 3 rounder, that is a negative. That does seem like an instance where a 5 round non title fight is warranted.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 8:22 pm

All main events should be 5 rounders
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 8:26 pm

I might agree regarding UFC #'d events, but Im not regarding fight nights, or other org main events.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Some pointers here -

1. Aldo is fast, but his technique in striking isn't close to BJ Penn's. Not even close. His striking is like a Diego or a Belfort, blistering speed. BJ Penn has potentially the best boxing in the UFC. Aldo swings wide open, and Brown rung his bell a couple times at least. Aldo and Penn have the same reach, but Penn throws straighter punches and doesn't employ the Mike Swick-Wanderlei style of speedbrawling. BJ would KO him if he kept it standing and he would do it rather easily.

2. Aldo is a BJJ prodigy from Novia Uniao, but so was BJ Penn ten years ago. BJ earned his blackbelt ten years ago from the same trainers that Aldo trains under. BJ's BJJ then is a much more advanced version of Aldos. Penn would submit dude and he could do it rather easily.

3. Couple that with the fact BJ Penn has the best wrestling south of GSP, period. Aldo isn't getting him down any easier than anyone else. And what would he do once it got there?

4. Aldo was taking about dropping down a couple months ago. He would be the smallest guy Penn has fought in a while.

5. Nobody is as flexible as Penn, period.

6. Who the fuck has Aldo fought, really? A bunch of nobodies and Mike Brown.

Why is this discussion even happening? This is foolish.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 4:18 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Some pointers here -

1. Aldo is fast, but his technique in striking isn't close to BJ Penn's. Not even close. His striking is like a Diego or a Belfort, blistering speed. BJ Penn has potentially the best boxing in the UFC. Aldo swings wide open, and Brown rung his bell a couple times at least. Aldo and Penn have the same reach, but Penn throws straighter punches and doesn't employ the Mike Swick-Wanderlei style of speedbrawling. BJ would KO him if he kept it standing and he would do it rather easily.

2. Aldo is a BJJ prodigy from Novia Uniao, but so was BJ Penn ten years ago. BJ earned his blackbelt ten years ago from the same trainers that Aldo trains under. BJ's BJJ then is a much more advanced version of Aldos. Penn would submit dude and he could do it rather easily.

3. Couple that with the fact BJ Penn has the best wrestling south of GSP, period. Aldo isn't getting him down any easier than anyone else. And what would he do once it got there?

4. Aldo was taking about dropping down a couple months ago. He would be the smallest guy Penn has fought in a while.

5. Nobody is as flexible as Penn, period.

6. Who the fuck has Aldo fought, really? A bunch of nobodies and Mike Brown.

Why is this discussion even happening? This is foolish.

You're such a bandwagoner Wolf. Anytime someone wins you're all over their nuts.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 4:27 pm

Like how I am on Aldo's nuts and somehow think he could somehow challenge BJ Penn? Can you even read fruitcake?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FW a better option than WW for Penn?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2