Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

FW a better option than WW for Penn?

Go down 
+9
oggy420
redvexx8
LA
Ninja
timthebim
Wolfgangsta
KingsOwn19
captain organic
Farmer1906
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

FW a better option than WW for Penn? Empty
PostSubject: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 8:05 pm

There are other potentially interesting super fights for BJ Penn, but they're at Featherweight. Assuming the fights would be on UFC PPV (of course), fights with Urijah Faber, Mike Brown, and Jose Aldo all have a certain appeal that rematches with guys like Joe Stevenson simply don't. The fight with Aldo in particular could be huge in about a year if Aldo keeps up his success. Aldo isn't a name yet, but he will be. Miguel Torres has spoken of moving up to 145 eventually; that's another potential super fight.

Of course, this all hinges on whether BJ Penn can make 145. Joe Rogan seems to think he can, and judging by his physique I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Perhaps it would drain him a bit, but that would only make the fights a little more interesting. Who knows, in 2 years BJ Penn vs. Joe Warren could potentially be a huge fight.

Penn has always wanted to be the first guy to simultaneously hold two belts in the UFC. Perhaps this is the closest he could get. It would also shine attention on the WEC, which needs all the help it can get. If he can make the weight and alternate defenses, he could get more established and credible contenders each time out.

Of course, there's always the option of just staying at 155 and dominating. But this is BJ Penn we're talking about. We know he won't do that. Another loss to St. Pierre could potentially be the end of his career, which is another reason to oppose the third fight. If we assume he will not stay put, and wants to be champion of two divisions, he's better off at 145 and 155 than at 155 and 170.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/12/13/1199016/if-bj-penn-wants-multiple-titles

If Jose Aldo beats Faber and someone else like Manny or Grispi then I think this fight should be made. Maybe a catchweight at 150 if BJ can't make 145. No titles, but still a huge fight I would want to see.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Aldo is the one guy at 145 that peaks my interest. I think Faber is too short and would get Sherked, Brown's one big adv at 145 is his strength, which will not be a factor vs a guy who can fight at a high level at 170.

Interesting opinion in the article is that a 3rd loss to GSP would make Penn retire. at 30 yrs old(which is hard to believe that he is that young) and seemingly entering a new chapter of his career, I'd think he continue to push ahead even if he loss to GSP again.

But as of right now, Aldo is at the top of my list for future Penn opponents.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 8:20 pm

At 32 is it safe for Penn to be dropping 10lb's ?
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 8:56 pm

No.

The point of BJ moving out of LW is for him to get a bigger challenge. While a matchup with Aldo, Brown or Faber at 145 would be something to look forward to. BJ kills those guys. WW would bring bigger challenges for BJ and staying at LW would be a better option than moving to FW. Guys like Aldo can move up to 155 and see if they can fight BJ.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:01 pm

This is not an option. No one knows who these guys are and even if they did, they aren't even close to BJ's level. A guy who is still likely the second best WW isn't ever dropping to fucking 145 to fight a bunch of lesser talented comparative nobodies.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:09 pm

Aldo is far from a nobody.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Really there is nothing to gain for BJ by dropping weight. If he wins he was supposed to and if he loses it could mess up his legacy so why do it? The bigger fights are at 170.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:16 pm

Comparative nobody. Eight out of ten average UFC fans have no idea who he is. The fight makes no sense from any perspective. No one would see a smaller rookie in a weaker weight class as real challenge even if they did know who he was.

Anyway, something tells me BJ Penn favors UFC PPV contracts over 17k a fight in the WEC.

This is a foolish discussion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 10:02 pm

BJ shouldn't have to drop weight for anybody. It's like asking Fedor to drop down to Light Heavyweight to fight super fights.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Comparative nobody. Eight out of ten average UFC fans have no idea who he is. The fight makes no sense from any perspective. No one would see a smaller rookie in a weaker weight class as real challenge even if they did know who he was.

Anyway, something tells me BJ Penn favors UFC PPV contracts over 17k a fight in the WEC.

This is a foolish discussion.

At this point no he isn't known, but when I say he's not a nobody I meant his skills were not meant to be taken lightly. He's head and shoulders above everyone at 145. He just needs some time to prove it.

This fight only happens if 1) The UFC & WEC merge or 2) The WEC lets the UFC use their champion in one of the UFC's PPVs.

The point of this fight is to make a good fight, attempt to find BJ a challenger (Aldo too after he runs through Faber and whoever else), give BJ a chance to hold 2 title (legacy anyone?), and possibly unite WEC or at least get it some huge pub.

This fight makes more sense than GSP-BJ III
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Aldo's next few fights   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 10:31 pm

Aldo's next few fights

1) The winner of Faber/Rafael Assuncao (hopefully Faber)

2) Another top 145 guy (Manny, Grispi, or Fabiano)

3) The WEC LW Champ (Varner, Henderson, or whoever)

4) BJ Penn at 145, 155, or 150
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 pm

Farmer chugging the Aldo koolaid big time. When I first saw him fight I too thought he was special fighter. But I have taken a step back from elevating him to too high a level too soon.

Aldo swings way wide. Now he is young and will improve, but in no way can we say he is "head and shoulders" above other guys floating around the WEC yet. Brown rung his bell a few times in that fight, and Faber is a lot faster than he is. There is a lot more parity at the top in the WEC these days. Maybe Aldo will be the guy, but at this point it is way too early to say.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:24 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Farmer chugging the Aldo koolaid big time. When I first saw him fight I too thought he was special fighter. But I have taken a step back from elevating him to too high a level too soon.

Aldo swings way wide. Now he is young and will improve, but in no way can we say he is "head and shoulders" above other guys floating around the WEC yet. Brown rung his bell a few times in that fight, and Faber is a lot faster than he is. There is a lot more parity at the top in the WEC these days. Maybe Aldo will be the guy, but at this point it is way too early to say.

Its okay you aren't a believer, yet. Most people didn't take me seriously when I told them Mousasi would walk through the Dream MW tourney and challenge Anderson at MW. Now most people rank Mousasi on the same level as Anderson & Machida.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:37 pm

Ya, well I predicted Machida's rise and had him in the p4p since 2007. I also touched your moms ass once.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:51 pm

I'm sorry, but Aldo is not beating BJ at the present moment. His standup is amazing against fighters at 145, but he is no where Penn in terms of striking. There is reason Freddie Roach said BJ has the best boxing in MMA and add the fact that he has a granite chin he is not getting beat on the feet any time soon. I would go as far to say BJ also is better on the ground than Aldo is and would submit him if he got him there.

Aldo is great fighter at 145, maybe the best. But at the moment he would have major problems with guys at 155 who are bigger than him. The guy does have tremendous upside though considering his age and could be one the best fighter P4P when he enters his prime. At the moment though I am interested to see if he could beat Faber.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:52 pm

When I was still a sperm 33+ years ago, I predicted Fedor would be the best all-time
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:58 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Ya, well I predicted Machida's rise and had him in the p4p since 2007. I also touched your moms ass once.

That's kind of awkward.

But not as bad as the time I fucked you daughter.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:05 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

That's kind of awkward.

your*

If you want to make jokes about my two year old, spell them correctly next time k?
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:18 am

Wolfy's talk funny, Farmer's a bit creepy
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:22 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

That's kind of awkward.

your*

If you want to make jokes about my two year old, spell them correctly next time k?

Didn't take the bait. I'll get you next time Razz
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:41 am

I would love to see BJ fight at 145 if he could make the weight with no problems. The UFC and WEC have been talking about completely merging for a while and BJ has already cleared out 155 and he aint beating the top guys at 170.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:49 am

Outside of GSP, BJ could potentially beat Fitch, Thiago or Kos
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:50 am

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Outside of GSP, BJ could potentially beat Fitch, Thiago or Kos

I think Kos and maybe Fitch too could get Penn down and work some GnP.

Plus Alvez and Kos to lesser extend have some serious KO power that could test BJ's chin like never before.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:55 am

I think they could get him down, but BJ has some serious jj for all of them to worry about, GSP just happens to have amazing sub defense. BJ s a better boxer than all of them though.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 1:09 am

Bj wont drop to 145. Not a chance in hell.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FW a better option than WW for Penn?   FW a better option than WW for Penn? Empty

Back to top Go down

FW a better option than WW for Penn?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next