Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alexis Davis wants next crack at Ronda

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Alexis Davis wants next crack at Ronda Empty
PostSubject: Alexis Davis wants next crack at Ronda   Alexis Davis wants next crack at Ronda EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 11:31 am

Quote :
Six years after she started fighting in the cage, Alexis Davis went to her first UFC event.

"It was awesome," she told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I could almost spit at the cage."

To Davis, who grew up in a small town in Ontario, Canada, and nine others in her bantamweight class, the octagon had been a dream of what was possible and a reminder of something out of reach. She could buy a ticket but never fight within its links. Women weren't allowed.

That is, until this past Saturday, when Ronda Rousey and Liz Carmouche headlined UFC 157 at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. She watched the pay-per-view show from just behind press row with her cohorts and several male UFC fighters. Out of all of them, she got a kick out of seeing Ian "Uncle Creepy" McCall.

She wasn't just a spectator, though. She has a four-fight contract that would put her in the cage, hopefully soon.

Davis (13-5 MMA, 0-0 UFC) was both a fan and a fighter that night. She got caught up in the arena's energy and cheered, and her feet twitched when Carmouche tried to take away Rousey's UFC belt (she failed when the champ stopped her with an armbar late in the first round). She was happy that both represented the sport so well.

"The way the crowd was with that energy blasting through the walls, I think we've probably got a million more fans," Davis said.

But she is more anxious than ever to meet Rousey, whom she feels is getting away with moves she shouldn't inside the cage. In particular, Davis said opponents are giving away position when they fight the women's champ.

"[Rousey] does a white belt get to mount where she just throws that leg over and everybody lets her have it," she said. "There's no knee on belly. She just chucks it over. I guess it's hard to think clearly in that position. That's the only thing I can think of. She keeps doing it. This is not the first time she's gotten away with it."

Davis also took note of Carmouche's ability to take Rousey's back, which also happened when the champ took on Miesha Tate (and badly armbarred her in the first round). Carmouche threatened with a neck and face crank but ultimately was bucked off and wound up on her back, where the tables turned.

Rousey is expected to meet the winner of an upcoming bout between Tate and Cat Zingano at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, which takes place April 13 in Las Vegas. But Davis feels she's the best matchup for the champ.

"That's why I tweeted (UFC President) Dana White," she said. "You have a wrestler with Tate. You just had a Marine fight her, and you've got a striker with Sarah Kaufman. I'm a [Brazilian jiu-jitsu] black belt. C'mon. Give me that chance.

"It's killing me, too, because my last couple victories I won by rear-naked choke. I get to the back all the time. I wish I was there."

For now, though, she awaits her next fight. She doesn't know whom she'll face first inside the octagon. Hints at a bout with Olympic silver medalist Sara McMann died down in recent weeks, and UFC matchmakers haven't updated her on their plans.

Davis most recently appeared under the banner of Invicta FC, which provided a large portion of the women's talent that's now making its way to the UFC. She choked Shayna Baszler unconscious this past month, and this past July, she tapped out Hitomi Akano with a rear-naked choke. She boasts seven career wins by submission.

Professionally, that's on par with Rousey, who's tapped out all seven of her opponents by armbar. Davis, of course, has lost fights by TKO and decision, but she boasts twice the champ's prizefighting experience.

What Davis doesn't have is public bad blood with Rousey, whose rivalries with Tate and Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos give them priority in the eyes of most fans.

Davis went into a recent training session with a renewed sense of purpose. She currently trains with the Cesar Gracie Fight Team, whose standouts Nick and Nate Diaz have trained with Rousey.

"I was so disappointed that Dana was saying they might give the (Zingano vs. Tate) winner (a title shot)," Davis said. "I'm like, 'What?' I'm higher ranked than both these girls.' Miesha already had her chance. I don't know if that's going to happen, but I'm hopeful that he reconsiders."
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Alexis Davis wants next crack at Ronda   Alexis Davis wants next crack at Ronda EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 am

Zingano is going to beast Tate anyway and that would be a fresh matchup. But Alexis is the most interesting
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Alexis Davis wants next crack at Ronda   Alexis Davis wants next crack at Ronda EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 11:40 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
Zingano is going to beast Tate anyway and that would be a fresh matchup. But Alexis is the most interesting
Yeah Ronda is in big trouble if Davis gets her back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alexis Davis wants next crack at Ronda   Alexis Davis wants next crack at Ronda Empty

Back to top Go down

Alexis Davis wants next crack at Ronda
Page 1 of 1