Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jon Fitch released from UFC?

Go down 
+5
GDPofDRC
bobbitt15
SOKO
oggy420
OU
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Ninja wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
Outside of Fitch I don't see a lot of guys on that list Bellator would have an interest in. Russow could probably become their HW champ lol, but I think he probably retires and just sticks to cop duty

I don't agree. In division where Dave Jensen and Marcin Held are fighting for a titleshot, is it that crazy to think Bellator would sign Paul Sass, Etim, Volkmann for their next tournament?

Herion by some a fair majority thought he beat Askren.

Bellator's HW and LHW division are so putrid that Russow and Vladdy would actually make nice additions.

Most of Bellator's summer series tourneys were pretty awful as far as talent goes. They usually do better than that. We'll see what they do but they've been the ones to promote that attitude that they aren't all about jumping on UFC cuts. Plus, would these guys rather fight on a more local circuit and pick up a couple wins to get back into the UFC than sign with Bellator? Very possible
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 4:52 pm

I don't think it is a stretch at all when there are tens of thousands of professional fighters in the world to say a guy who is top 40, 30 or 20 is one of the worlds best. I guess that is a matter of opinion.

Also if Heiron and Santiago couldn't get it done against their comp shouldn't today's list have about 300 more fighters on it by that standard? Or is the standard to be picked and chosen by preference?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:04 pm

If I take that list, I keep:
Jon Fitch
Mike Russow
Jacob Volkmann
Che Mills
Jay Herion
Terry Etim
Paul Sass
Jorge Santiago
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:40 pm

I bet Dana was rubbing his hands with glee when he knew Fitch was going to be cut.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:50 pm

lol seems Hardy's been getting abuse because of these cuts.

Quote :
Dan Hardy ✔ @danhardymma

Why is it whenever someone gets cut early by the @UFC, everyone gives me shit? I would have cut me way before @JonFitchdotnet too!
7:19 PM - 20 Feb 13
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Gerald Harris wrote:
I rarely disagree with the UFC but there are more reasons to turn down a fight than taking a fight sometimes. Especially when the risk is to get cut or get cut? For those of you who have never participated in sports it's easy to say "You should always be ready" but unlike football or basketball - fighters have to "peak" for maximum performance. Our second chance will not come the next day, week, or even month later. Other than gettign paid will "If" you win the loss is 10x more devastating. You get half of your pay, depression, and your now possibly on the chopping block - in my case I got cut after one bullshit loss. There's not a man alive that could convince me that I deserved to lose my job. In all I'd say this - when MMA develops some type of loyalty then fighters will take that risk. Until then it's is very unlikely to see guys "Stepping Up" for short notice fights. It's easy to tell people "how to fight" or "You should be ready" when you have NEVER FOUGHT IN YOUR LIFE!
p.s. Jacob Volkmann should still have his job

MMA will never get to the level of other sports until we have some form of loyalty. People tune in to see the athletes NOT the organization. Now don't get confused - The NBA is the best basketball league in the world, but people tune in to see the Heat, Kobe, Durant etc not NBA....Yes the organization has the best production so it has the best athletes, but very few people tune in to see Football, Basketball, or MMA. We love to watch our favorite athletes - but in the sport of MMA fighters come & go like we are a part of a temp agency. Brought in to work hard for the "Organization" but dumped in the trash like diaper after we are shitted on. Imagine if you tuned in to see the Lakers play but it was a different starting line up every game? We are not robots or animals - we are human beings with families and lives outside of fighting. If you have a 3-5 fight contract, you should get 3-5 fights unless you violate some rules. You can not live day to day or fight to fight not knowing if your going to have a job the next day. Fans will not learn to love fighters through a 2 minute interview before the fight - they learn to love them by watching them compete and getting to know more about them with time. Not by exciting fights! Fighters have no rights

I'm venting because I'm sick of people saying be exciting or be cut? When I look into my kids eyes - I don't say "I'm about to go out there and swing for the fences for this company" I say I'm going to fight as smart as possible to finish this fight & keep food on this table. For all of you who think someone "deserves" to get cut - go to work tomorrow to a job you love & have a bad day, get fired - then go home & tell your family you deserved it? It's a job, with a one side commitment. It's similar to the railroad industry with guys losing fingers & limbs to feed their family, but there were no worker rights because it was too easy to replace you.

https://www.facebook.com/geraldhurricaneharris/posts/428174827260102

good stuff from Gerald in the Comment section of his post as well.

Last edited by GDPofDRC on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:17 pm

b
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:17 pm

b
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

b
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

b
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:21 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
I don't think it is a stretch at all when there are tens of thousands of professional fighters in the world to say a guy who is top 40, 30 or 20 is one of the worlds best. I guess that is a matter of opinion.

Also if Heiron and Santiago couldn't get it done against their comp shouldn't today's list have about 300 more fighters on it by that standard? Or is the standard to be picked and chosen by preference?

Okay so they are better than the vast majority of pro fighters, that doesn't make it a bad cut. They are veterans who have been around a long time and aren't going to be fighting guys who are bottom of the barrel in the UFC but couldn't get it done against the competition they did have. That's the way it goes. The UFC puts on so many cards that they have seemingly barely cut anyone for the better part of a year and now just because they release a bunch of people on the same day everyone goes apeshit when there is no reason to other than Fitch
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:34 pm

That fuckin ridiculous.

Maia was an awful matchup for Fitch, but i struggle to name 5 guys i think could beat Jon Fitch in that division...or atleast 5 guys i would pick vs. Fitch.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:37 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:

Okay so they are better than the vast majority of pro fighters, that doesn't make it a bad cut. They are veterans who have been around a long time and aren't going to be fighting guys who are bottom of the barrel in the UFC but couldn't get it done against the competition they did have. That's the way it goes. The UFC puts on so many cards that they have seemingly barely cut anyone for the better part of a year and now just because they release a bunch of people on the same day everyone goes apeshit when there is no reason to other than Fitch

So it's good to cut guys who are better than the vast majority of all other fighters. I see, and I disagree.

If a guy has established notoriety professionally, in the cage, then his peak level is forever where he shall be judged, a top ten guy last year who losses a couple of fights and is now more like top 30 or 20 can't fight guys at that level, he is either top 10 or fired. Again, I disagree.

I don't see everyone having a big problem with this, just MMA fans for the most part.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:40 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:

So it's good to cut guys who are better than the vast majority of all other fighters. I see, and I disagree.

If a guy has established notoriety professionally, in the cage, then his peak level is forever where he shall be judged, a top ten guy last year who losses a couple of fights and is now more like top 30 or 20 can't fight guys at that level, he is either top 10 or fired. Again, I disagree.

I don't see everyone having a big problem with this, just MMA fans for the most part.

Everyone in the UFC is better than the vast majority of pro fighters, that doesn't mean they have room to give that many people 3 fights a year which is the reason cuts are being made.

If MMA fans have a big problem with the UFC making cuts they must have been annoyed for a pretty long time now
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Most MMA fans are not UFC fans, they are fans of certain fighters and good fights.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:44 pm

At the end of the day Hieron is 0-4 in the UFC losing his last by KO in under a minute and Santiago is 1-5 having lost 5 in a row. I'm not going to complain about those cuts
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Hieron and Santiago are better than half of these guys: http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Weight_Class/Welterweight

I am going to complain. I don't like the decision to cut a lot of these guys.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:52 pm

That operates under the assumption that guys who get cut would lose to every other person on the roster which we know isn't true. But Santiago isn't going to bank 36/36 to fight Chris Clements on a Facebook stream when no one but hardcores who spend half their day on MMA forums care about seeing him fight
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:00 pm

So the answer is not re-negotiate but instead simply cut them. There is plenty worth complaining about in terms of Zuffa's fighter exploitation as well. hen was the last time a UFC main event title fighter went home with $7,000, oh four days ago.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:12 pm

That's the contract they have with McDonald, I'm a firm believer that he was pocketing way more than that off the books to main event a title fight

And renegotiation is a fine idea but we don't know when that takes place or if the fighter could make more money elsewhere and doesn't want to stay. And if what is being reported today is true about the huge number of guys they are trying to shave off the roster, they need the space anyway
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Fitch should not have been released. That is a fucking joke.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:42 pm

all i know is Zuffa has to be making a shit load of money. It would be nice to see some of it trickle down to the people who make it all possible, the fighters. Instead of some un-named executive who's job title is who gives a fuck. Any fighter who is good enough to fight in the ufc shouldn't have to live paycheck to paycheck anymore.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 pm

Ninja did say Zuffa are in some financial trouble and to see them making harsh cuts like this confirms it for me. They always claim to sell out venues but I've been noticing more and more empty seats at cards. With the influx of Strikeforce fighters and the creation of smaller/female divisions you gotta figure fighters are going to be very cautious during fights now.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 11:13 pm

I'm not sure I buy them being in financial trouble but there is talk they are looking to shed some bigger contracts for guys who aren't going to be bringing any additional eyes or interest to cards and Fitch would fall under that category. I think his prior relationship with Zuffa had just as much to do with it though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch released from UFC?   Jon Fitch released from UFC? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jon Fitch released from UFC?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next