Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can Diego pull this off?

Go down 
+13
CainVelasquezFan
Farmer1906
Bigs03
MMAEYES
ohiovol62
GolbeZ
LA
captain organic
timthebim
bobbitt15
KingsOwn19
NoRegret
oggy420
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Just watched the countdown special. I usually root for BJ to lose just to bring some parody to the division, but wow Diego is a massive douche bag lol
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 7:08 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
I give him a legit shot as an underdog. He's way better than KenFlo who I didn't give a chance to at all.

Funny... I remember all of the chatter about how amazing Kenny was, how his game was ten times more evolved than Diego's and in a rematch Kenny would school Diego. Here we are a few months later, Kenny in many of those people's eyes is a passing thought that might not beat the Caveman, and Diego is the best LW challenge to BJ so far. Amazing how quickly things change in the minds of the fickle MMA fans.

Oh, I also didn't give Kenny a chance, don't think he beats Diego today, and do think he was as overrated at the time as Lawler was a year ago... But, Diego only wins this fight if he channels his inner Serra.

Yeah I didn't get all the chatter either.

https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net/mma-f1/who-will-win-bj-penn-vs-kenny-florian-t552.htm?highlight=kenny
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net/mma-f1/who-will-win-bj-penn-vs-kenny-florian-t552-15.htm?highlight=kenny
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net/mma-f1/bj-exposed-kenny-florian-t654.htm?highlight=kenny

Shit Farmer, I had actually forgotten how many misguided and ignorant people on here had picked Kenny to win that fight. Isn't there another poll floating around here somewhere about this fight that is a little more realistic (BJ getting tons of love), yet has the OP questioning as to why BJ is such a heavy favorite in people's eyes?...lol. Some people are just slow learners I guess. Again, short of Diego channeling his inner Matt Serra and landing that once in a lifetime shot, BJ will run right through him...
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 7:40 pm

Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Tough fight for Diego. I think he can when with his wrestling. If he is careful he can GnP and win. Hope he doesn't stand up and bang with BJ though or BJ will bust him up.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 11:27 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
Just watched the countdown special. I usually root for BJ to lose just to bring some parody to the division, but wow Diego is a massive douche bag lol

Don't know why anyone would ever want BJ to lose LOL. But I agree Diego did look kinda like a douche. I mean I like Diego so I want to think it was just the show making him out to be like that but when they showed him standing infront of his mirror with nothing in his house but that mirror I thought man I think this guy loves himself alittle to much!
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 11:45 am

I've never been a fan of either guy but I definitely dislike BJ more than I dislike Diego. They are both big time douchers.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 12:22 pm

My feeling is that BJ has too much of both stand up and an even better ground game. Diego will be lucky if he survives past the 1st round.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 1:04 pm

i actually thought Diego has made the transition to 155 perfectly i mean he walked through Joe Daddy in his first fight and put on a fight of the year candidate with Clay Guida. If thats equals "looking terrible" than what does the rest of the 155 class look like because he's easily the 2nd best LW in the UFC.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 1:43 pm

oggy420 wrote:
i actually thought Diego has made the transition to 155 perfectly i mean he walked through Joe Daddy in his first fight and put on a fight of the year candidate with Clay Guida. If thats equals "looking terrible" than what does the rest of the 155 class look like because he's easily the 2nd best LW in the UFC.

+1

Some people see no finish and think he sucks because BJ & Kenny finished those guys.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 2:08 pm

oggy420 wrote:

He coudn't finish a Pre-Greg Jackson trained Joe Daddy and got away with a victory over clay "Geico Caveman" Guida and that makes him the 2nd best? He won't beat BJ, I seriously think he would lose to Kenflo in under three rounds, so I don't know where this great "transition" is suppossed to be.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 2:47 pm

bobbitt wrote:

does anyone have a link to the countdown to 107? I cant find it anywhere
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
oggy420 wrote:

He coudn't finish a Pre-Greg Jackson trained Joe Daddy and got away with a victory over clay "Geico Caveman" Guida and that makes him the 2nd best? He won't beat BJ, I seriously think he would lose to Kenflo in under three rounds, so I don't know where this great "transition" is suppossed to be.

So what if he didn't finish him it was a tough test for his 1st fight and weight cut to 155 and he picked a former title contender apart for 3 rounds. And i never said he would beat BJ but he will be a very good test and this fight could be closer than you think. Man mma fans are really hard to impress now-a-days.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 4:23 pm

GolbeZ wrote:
bobbitt wrote:

does anyone have a link to the countdown to 107? I cant find it anywhere

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTM3MzMzOTU2.html

diego isn't a douche bag, he's just a lil odd.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 5:54 pm

Wow, Frank looks huge and was talking a lot of shit. I won't be surprised if he actually breaks Kongo's arm.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Yeah, I have to root for Mir, because he is an American, but I really like Kongo.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 6:06 pm

If Frank really has put on 20 pounds I'm anxious to see how close to the 265 limit he comes in at. I wonder if he's going to cut to 265 or if he's still hanging around 250...damn I'm ready for the weigh ins now. He really looks like he's put on some mass.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 6:06 pm

Hell, I just want to see Mir rip Kongo's arm off for the thought that it may lead to Wolf having a nervous breakdown...
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 6:28 pm

oggy420 wrote:

You also thought Kenny Florian was gonna beat BJ Penn. I think he looks terrible compared to what he looked like at 170. He used to really be a nightmare he was wrecking guys and I was shocked when I saw him first fight at 155. I thought Rogan was gonna say something about it but I guess he didnt notice either. He looks like the rest of the 155ers way under BJ. So far at 155 he has been slow and lethargic no snap with no power with less stamina. Even Joe Daddy was practically laughing at his punches by the second round it was ridiculous and Diego seemed frustrated at what was happening. Diego would fare better against BJ at 170. Unless he is more comfortable at this weight now he will get owned.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 7:48 pm

oggy420 wrote:
Andrew the Raider King wrote:
oggy420 wrote:

So what if he didn't finish him it was a tough test for his 1st fight and weight cut to 155 and he picked a former title contender apart for 3 rounds. And i never said he would beat BJ but he will be a very good test and this fight could be closer than you think. Man mma fans are really hard to impress now-a-days.

That's a little bit of the X-factor imo. Was the lack of power(Joe Daddy was laughing at his punches in the 3rd), and conditioning(for a guy who is supposed to have great cardio, the 3rd round was his weakest in each fight) due to the weight cut, and this being his 3rd go at it, is he now more acclimated to it?
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 1:36 am

you see it your way and i see it different. I see that he walked through a former title contender in his first fight at this weight class and then out worked Clay Guida for christ sake. Diego has only recently really started to box in his fights anyway. He was always more of a wrestler with good GnP and submissions. Now since he has dropped to 155 yes he has 2 decisions but they were against tough guys. Guida took a round house to the jaw that would have stopped lesser guys in the weight class. I dont know why you would want to rip him for looking horrible when he just beat two of the weightclasses top fighters fairly easily.

That said i did learn my lesson from picking Kenny which was more wishful thinking than anything, and Bj will most likey win this fight but at least Diego is gonna bring it to him and fight hard. Should be very entertaining.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 2:08 am

Stevenson has improved his overall game and gameplan since that fight with Diego, he'd be a much tougher fight for Diego as he is now. Clay while scrappy and tough with alot of heart, isn't a overly talented fighter, he gets by with grit and some HnP. I don't consider either of them that high in the LW ranks. The fact that Diego got this title shot without fighting Gray, Edgar, Griffin, Kenny, Sherk ect still surprises me. I thought it should have went to Gray or Frankie. BJ is a whole different animal for Diego, I expect his jab to be working with his deceptive power and his jj to be the deciding factor. Diego can make it interesting by keeping a fast pace and staying busy, but I don't see him winning, although I do think he is a very good LW.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:07 pm

As far as anyone picking Kenflo(and admittedly I was one of them) remember that Penn went from a flabby guy who thought training required long periods of rest vs GSP, to getting into the best shape of his career for Flo.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:22 pm

captain organic wrote:
As far as anyone picking Kenflo(and admittedly I was one of them) remember that Penn went from a flabby guy who thought training required long periods of rest vs GSP, to getting into the best shape of his career for Flo.

So, you drew a direct correlation of his fight v. GSP at WW to fighting Kenny at LW? What? I get he didn't look great there, but 15 pounds and worlds of talent apart in those fights. I would get that line of thought if he had looked sloppy an undisciplined in his fights against Sherk and Joe Daddy... BUT
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Can Diego pull this off?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2