Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can Diego pull this off?

Go down 
+13
CainVelasquezFan
Farmer1906
Bigs03
MMAEYES
ohiovol62
GolbeZ
LA
captain organic
timthebim
bobbitt15
KingsOwn19
NoRegret
oggy420
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Can Diego pull this off? Empty
PostSubject: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 6:21 pm

Watching his ufc 107 vlog and he looks like he is in tremendous shape. He's already at 160 which means he has just 5 pounds to cut which is practically nothing for him. This is definitley the biggest test Bj will have at 155. I think this definitley has a good shot at being a fight of the year candidate. Im excited for this one!!

Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 6:34 pm

YES!

haha I hope he comes out for this fight saying that. He definately has one of the scariest stare downs to go with it...its intense.

In all seriousness though, Diego has been one of my favorite fighters since i've started watching MMA, and I do firmly believe he can win this fight via UD!
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Never say never...but he's completely overmatched just like Ben Stiller IMO.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 7:48 pm

I think his chances border zero
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 8:38 pm

I think BJ wins but its experience. BJ will know how to handle everything Diego throws at him. Can Diego win?? Yes. Will he? No.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 8:39 pm

oggy420 wrote:
Watching his ufc 107 vlog and he looks like he is in tremendous shape. He's already at 160 which means he has just 5 pounds to cut which is practically nothing for him. This is definitley the biggest test Bj will have at 155. I think this definitley has a good shot at being a fight of the year candidate. Im excited for this one!!

All the bold I agree with 100%, and if the Diego of now had fought the BJ that existed b4 GSP II, I just might have picked him. But considering that Penn is actually in very good shape nowadays, I don't see him losing this one .

But I do not deny that Diego is very good, he has alot of offensive fire power, a good motor, and a solid chin, combine that with Penn's skill's and his tendency to keep fights standing and I also see this as FOTY type fight.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 12:23 am

BJ by RNC
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 1:22 am

i too am going with Bj just thought i would see what people thought of Diego's chances at pulling the upset. I think it's gonna be really exciting while it last. Im predicting a UD for Bj winning 3 rounds to 2. There will be blood!!!
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 2:44 am

I want diego to win pretty bad .. and I think he can .. but I picked BJ to win.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 9:02 am

Short answer... no. Penn won a round with GSP, which means he's a bad man. There's no on the LW level that can box with him IMO, and only Aoki can hang with him on the ground.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 10:10 am

I like Diego as well. I love the way he fights it's great! But he isn't gonna be able to hang with BJ on the feet and he won't be able to take BJ down either. I see only two ways Diego could win

1. Everyone has a punchers chance. Some how some way BJ gets caught

2. Diego keeps BJ hugged up against the cage the whole fight ala randy vs vera and wins by dec
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 10:21 am

MMAEYES wrote:
I like Diego as well. I love the way he fights it's great! But he isn't gonna be able to hang with BJ on the feet and he won't be able to take BJ down either. I see only two ways Diego could win

1. Everyone has a punchers chance. Some how some way BJ gets caught

2. Diego keeps BJ hugged up against the cage the whole fight ala randy vs vera and wins by dec

If that happens Im gonna be pissed.

I think BJ ends a great fight somewhere in between late 2nd and early 4th.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 10:22 am

who has the reach advantage in this?
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 10:57 am

I think the reach is pretty even but I'm not sure. I also think BJ will finish Diego I just think those are the only two ways Diego can win.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 11:13 am

I think the key is Diego's chin. If he can withstand Penn's power he could win this thing. I see this primarily as a standup affair, and I might say Diego, who is a big strong kid, has the more dynamic offensive repetoire. Penn is more fluid, his jab is the best in the sport, his chin, and all of those things that make him great, but if Diego can eat some of Penn's bigger punches I see the fight being very close.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 12:02 pm

I think BJ is going to dominate. Diego is going to come out overly aggressive and get caught. BJ's boxing is far to good for Diego to contend with.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 12:05 pm

I give him a legit shot as an underdog. He's way better than KenFlo who I didn't give a chance to at all.
Back to top Go down
CainVelasquezFan
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
CainVelasquezFan

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cain Velasquez and Diaz Brothers, Urijah Faber, Gilbert Melendez and Jon Jones

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 1:26 pm

Diego by UD!
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 3:24 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
I give him a legit shot as an underdog. He's way better than KenFlo who I didn't give a chance to at all.

Funny... I remember all of the chatter about how amazing Kenny was, how his game was ten times more evolved than Diego's and in a rematch Kenny would school Diego. Here we are a few months later, Kenny in many of those people's eyes is a passing thought that might not beat the Caveman, and Diego is the best LW challenge to BJ so far. Amazing how quickly things change in the minds of the fickle MMA fans.

Oh, I also didn't give Kenny a chance, don't think he beats Diego today, and do think he was as overrated at the time as Lawler was a year ago... But, Diego only wins this fight if he channels his inner Serra.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 3:53 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

Funny... I remember all of the chatter about how amazing Kenny was, how his game was ten times more evolved than Diego's and in a rematch Kenny would school Diego. Here we are a few months later, Kenny in many of those people's eyes is a passing thought that might not beat the Caveman, and Diego is the best LW challenge to BJ so far. Amazing how quickly things change in the minds of the fickle MMA fans.

Oh, I also didn't give Kenny a chance, don't think he beats Diego today, and do think he was as overrated at the time as Lawler was a year ago... But, Diego only wins this fight if he channels his inner Serra.

Yeah I didn't get all the chatter either.

https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net/mma-f1/who-will-win-bj-penn-vs-kenny-florian-t552.htm?highlight=kenny
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net/mma-f1/who-will-win-bj-penn-vs-kenny-florian-t552-15.htm?highlight=kenny
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net/mma-f1/bj-exposed-kenny-florian-t654.htm?highlight=kenny
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 4:01 pm

[/quote]Funny... I remember all of the chatter about how amazing Kenny was, [/quote]

Yeah I remember, not so much anymore...lol
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 4:24 pm

No

Diego has looked terrible at 155. The nightmare is over. I wouldn't even give him a punchers chance in this because BJ has a great chin and at 155 Diego has no power.

BJ might set a record for leaving 3 TUF guys in a row crying when its over.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 4:27 pm

redvexx8 wrote:
No

Diego has looked terrible at 155. The nightmare is over. I wouldn't even give him a punchers chance in this because BJ has a great chin and at 155 Diego has no power.

Terrible? That's a bit strong no?

But lack of power has been apparent.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 5:17 pm

captain organic wrote:
redvexx8 wrote:
No

yeah..

broken hand against Joe Daddy .. and kicked the face off and would have won that fight in the first round from a majority of others than if clay was in there.
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 5:30 pm

captain organic wrote:
redvexx8 wrote:
No

Terrible compared to what he was like at 170 yea. I was never really in favor of adding more weight classes until I saw him fight at 155. He is one of my favorite fighters so maybe I noticed his decline more but he didnt even look like the same guy to me. I'm hoping that maybe he is more comfortable at this weight now and he looks like the old Night mare again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can Diego pull this off?   Can Diego pull this off? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can Diego pull this off?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next