Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?

Go down 
+6
jewzilla
GDPofDRC
Farmer1906
Wolfgangsta
Ludo
OU
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What card will sell the most PPV?
Nothing will top UFC 145(Jones vs Rashad)
What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? Vote_lcap11%What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
UFC 146(All HW main card)
What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? Vote_lcap0%What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
UFC 148(Spider-Sonnen,Faber-Cruz)
What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? Vote_lcap67%What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? Vote_rcap
 67% [ 6 ]
Bones vs Hendo(whatever #card it is)
What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? Vote_lcap11%What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
other(specify why and who will be on it)
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? Empty
PostSubject: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Not knowing exactly what cards will be there at the end of the year. Just use your best judgement.

Last edited by OU on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 2:33 pm

UFC 147
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Isn't 147 still the Aldo card ?

Anyway I went with Sonnen vs. Silva II because it's STACKED!! but I could easily see the all HW card selling the most because you Yanks seem to love big men........teehee.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Yeah sorry, I mislabeled it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 3:46 pm

OU wrote:

What a disgrace, I demand that you receive 100 lashes for such a grievous error.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Ali wrote:
OU wrote:

What a disgrace, I demand that you receive 100 lashes for such a grievous error.
Come at me bro.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 3:49 pm

OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
OU wrote:

Come at me bro.

What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? Tumblr_luyvzfxJQB1r5qrimo1_500
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 8:49 pm

148 will probably do a million buys easily, maybe even 1.5 if Evans and Jones got people going like this. It has the basic formula for the type of super-card which the UFC likes to stage about once a year. Multiple title fights, compelling match making, legend matches, TUF connections and legit grudge matches.

Silva has established himself as a draw finally with American fans, especially when opposite a credible opponent. None is more credible than Sonnen. The pseudo-racially charged antics of Sonnen appeal to the traditional Caucasian UFC fan base who were cold to Silva for far, far too long and want to see him lose. The antics of Sonnen also polarize Silva's fans, and the emerging African American UFC fan demographic, which has come to embrace Anderson increasingly. Grudge matches sell well. Smack talk and controversy sells well. Compelling match making sells well. Historical significance and legacy defining moments sell well. This fight has it all.

On top of that, there is a second title fight between Cruz and Faber. On the plus side ; Their bout is also a legitimate grudge match and legacy defining rubber match. These are TUF coaches. Faber is as legit a draw as you'll find at 135. On the downside ; Cruz has failed utterly to connect with fans. The lower weight classes don't seem to resonate that well with buyers. And this season of TUF is not lighting the world on fire ratings wise.

On its own, I don't know if we could have expected 400k from this rematch but as part of a super-card, it adds a lot of value to the package to a PPV buyer on the fence.

Tito vs Forrest 3 in basically a retirement match also brings casual interest. I've sensed a lot of apathy, and even antipathy from hardcore fans towards this fight, but when discussing megacards, we need to look at what the once-a-year PPV buyer will think when they see this fight on the card on their on-demand info, or when watching the count-down shows.

Franklin vs Le and Bisping vs Botech just add to the depth and intrigue. I'd rather Judo face Le and Franklin face Bisping, but whatever.

I think Maia vs Stun Gun should be moved to FX or whatever and Barao vs Menjivar should be promoted to the maincard. Maia vs Kim is a cool fight and all, but it isn't going to add any PPV buys, so this slot should be allocated for a potential future contender for the 135 pound title. That is a more important fight+probably will be way better of a fight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 8:55 pm

lol I bet it was Josh who voted for Hendo vs. Bones .
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 8:56 pm

Ali wrote:
lol I bet it was Josh who voted for Hendo vs. Bones .

Nah gotta be OU. He's been talking about that damn fight selling for months now.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 9:06 pm

No way that fight out does Evans vs Bones unless something major gets added to the card. There is no grudge-match factor. And I don't think Hendo is seen as capable of beating Bones as Evans was. Hardcore opinion is not consensus fan opinion. Even if this board thinks Hendo's right hand is more dangerous than Evans, the perception of Bones ducking Evans, Evans supposedly being in his head and a former training partner made that fight more credible for many.

I think Hendo vs Bones is going to do pretty good though. 500-600.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 9:10 pm

As long as Bones is champ I don't expect any of his fights to do less than 600K. He's a star now.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
As long as Bones is champ I don't expect any of his fights to do less than 600K. He's a star now.

Maybe. Overall PPV has been significantly down. More than ever compelling match-ups and credible threats are key to selling the public on buying a fight.

I'm gonna just say it - While it is less of an issue now than it was two years ago, it is still a basic fact that black UFC fighters, Anderson included, struggle to connect with a large segment of the core UFC's white base. And when they do sell well, they engage casual black fans like Evans vs Page, Evans vs Bones etc or white fans who think they might see them lose.

I don't know if Bones is that first breakthrough black star who can draw fight in fight out regardless of dance partner. He got showered with boos at the weigh in at in the cage. The numbers for the Hendo fight depend largely on if white fans who embraced GSP, Liddell, Couture and Lesnar embrace Hendo as a legitimate threat to Bones. If they don't think he has a good chance of winning, they won't buy.

I think this fight does well, probably Bones second best performance, but no way does it top 700.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

Maybe. Overall PPV has been significantly down. More than ever compelling match-ups and credible threats are key to selling the public on buying a fight.

I'm gonna just say it - While it is less of an issue now than it was two years ago, it is still a basic fact that black UFC fighters, Anderson included, struggle to connect with a large segment of the core UFC's white base. And when they do sell well, they engage casual black fans like Evans vs Page, Evans vs Bones etc or white fans who think they might see them lose.

I don't know if Bones is that first breakthrough black star who can draw fight in fight out regardless of dance partner. He got showered with boos at the weigh in at in the cage. The numbers for the Hendo fight depend largely on if white fans who embraced GSP, Liddell, Couture and Lesnar embrace Hendo as a legitimate threat to Bones. If they don't think he has a good chance of winning, they won't buy.

I think this fight does well, probably Bones second best performance, but no way does it top 700.

What makes you think that is true?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Because black fighters get boo'd more than anyone else and rather consistently. Evans, Bones, Rampage and Anderson have all been at least unfairly ignored, at worst despised by a good chunk of the UFC's base demographic.

Forrest, Franklin, Chuck, Lesnar, Ken Shamrock, GSP, Randy Couture...other than GSP they're all white Americans. GSP is a Canadian.

I'm not postulating a racist conspiracy or anything, but things are what they are.

Black fighters and their ability to draw depends largely on dance partner. As of yet, there have been no draws in the UFC who on name alone can pull xyz buys who were black.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 10:00 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Because black fighters get boo'd more than anyone else and rather consistently. Evans, Bones, Rampage and Anderson have all been at least unfairly ignored, at worst despised by a good chunk of the UFC's base demographic.

Forrest, Franklin, Chuck, Lesnar, Ken Shamrock, GSP, Randy Couture...other than GSP they're all white Americans. GSP is a Canadian.

I'm not postulating a racist conspiracy or anything, but things are what they are.

Black fighters and their ability to draw depends largely on dance partner. As of yet, there have been no draws in the UFC who on name alone can pull xyz buys who were black.

Tito, Tim Sylvia, Hughes (sometimes), Mir, Bisping, and maybe Shamrock too are booed. I think it has to do personality as much as anything else. Some people aren't likable.

Without actually seeing data, I think you're way off the mark.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 10:13 pm

I donno man, whites are people too. Fight fans like who looks like them. The UFC's popularity boom that came with Forrest and Liddell was nearly all white. GSP and Lesnar fans are mostly white. There hasn't been a black fighter who can draw time in time out.

Ever wonder what exactly it is that makes Evans and Rampage so hated personality wise with UFC fans?

Remember, I am not saying everyone who likes the UFC, or didn't like those fighters was racist, but race certainly plays apart. I've been to enough hooters on fight night, local fights and MMA forums to know that much.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
I donno man, whites are people too. Fight fans like who looks like them. The UFC's popularity boom that came with Forrest and Liddell was nearly all white. GSP and Lesnar fans are mostly white. There hasn't been a black fighter who can draw time in time out.

Ever wonder what exactly it is that makes Evans and Rampage so hated personality wise with UFC fans?

Remember, I am not saying everyone who likes the UFC, or didn't like those fighters was racist, but race certainly plays apart. I've been to enough hooters on fight night, local fights and MMA forums to know that much.

I can see how you like someone who looks like you or is from the same country as you, but no way does that play THAT big of a factor.

Rampage is a moron who says some dumb shit. Plus Forrest and Rashad made him look like a fool on TUF.

Evans was boring and came off arrogant as hell. He's grown up as a fighter and been the "good guy" in the Rampage and Bones fights IMO. He's not booed like he once was.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 10:30 pm

They've all been mercilessly boo'd for nearly no reason at different times. Race is a big factor with UFC fans. It is changing though.

But seriously farmer I am sure you've had conversations IRL about how the UFC is the one sport they don't dominate.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:18 am

Bones vs Hendo could be part of a massive card. UFC 149 rumors include Hendo vs Bones, Aldo vs Koch, Thiago vs Shogun, Alves vs Sexy, Kongo vs Nog. Could be the kind of card needed to top Jones vs Evans.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 12:25 pm

OU wrote:
Bones vs Hendo could be part of a massive card. UFC 149 rumors include Hendo vs Bones, Aldo vs Koch, Thiago vs Shogun, Alves vs Sexy, Kongo vs Nog. Could be the kind of card needed to top Jones vs Evans.

Looks like they are stacking it. You just may be right. Still 148 looks solid too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 12:34 pm

OU wrote:

The card will sell well not because of Bones vs. Hendo but because of.......

What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? 3843639340_70db3f40fd
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
OU wrote:

Looks like they are stacking it. You just may be right. Still 148 looks solid too.
Yeah you have a diverse group of weight classes and countries represented here. Champions and former Champions. You have some exciting style matchups to go with it. Could be a big card.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:08 pm

If the cas crowd knew jack shit about mma then UFC 146 would probably be the best card of the year buy wise. But these questions are really hard to speculate on. Therefore I choose UFC 152.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:31 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
If the cas crowd knew jack shit about mma then UFC 146 would probably be the best card of the year buy wise. But these questions are really hard to speculate on. Therefore I choose UFC 152.
UFC 154 is a more likely date for GSP's return.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?   What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year? Empty

Back to top Go down

What will be the highest selling UFC PPV this year?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next