Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Control a big issue in UFC-Fox deal

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

Control a big issue in UFC-Fox deal Empty
PostSubject: Control a big issue in UFC-Fox deal   Control a big issue in UFC-Fox deal EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:40 am

The Sports Business Daily/Journal had a brief article on the UFC-Fox deal in which both sides indicated that control and opportunity were big issues in the monumental deal for Zuffa.

The article states that control was a big part of Zuffa choosing Fox. Zuffa still controls production of its shows although it takes suggestions from Fox. Overall, Fox was fine with allowing Zuffa to continue with producing its shows.

Via SBJ/SBD:

Fox was OK with letting UFC control production, Eric Shanks, president and COO of Fox Sports. “You wouldn’t have given up control if you don’t trust the guys,” Shanks said. “You want the authenticity that made the sport what it is. Part of what made it authentic was the production.

Still, Zuffa has worked with Fox in addressing some of its concerns. We’ve seen the elimination of weapon sponsors, cleaning blood off of the mat, toning down some of the content and shortening fighter entrances with the UFC’s switch to Fox.

In addition, Zuffa was interested in the fact that Fox had so many platforms to promote the UFC. This factor outweighed other opportunities with HBO or purchasing and rebranding the G4 network.

Payout Perspective:

It’s obvious that control is a big factor for Zuffa. You need only look to the company’s dealings with Showtime to recognize that Zuffa is very protective of its brand and the way it does things. You may recall that Showtime execs didn’t agree to some of the suggested changes Dana White had for Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Tate, which angered White to the extent that he’s hands off of Strikeforce.

As for the changes so far, the blood on the mat and weapon brand ban are things that relate to Fox’s overall standards and practices. The issue with the blood has to do with the perception of the sport and the fact that it is still introducing it to the masses. As Shanks was quoted, ““I don’t want it to look like someone just sacrificed a goat before Fox comes on the air.”

An interesting takeaway from the article is how shortening up the fighter entrances might indirectly hurt sponsors and the sponsorship of fighters. With shorter appearances on the camera, it may hurt the sponsorship value of a patch, t-shirt or hat of sponsor. It will make sponsors and agents think of other ways to get its brands on camera.

http://mmapayout.com/2012/03/control-a-big-issue-in-ufc-fox-deal/
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Control a big issue in UFC-Fox deal   Control a big issue in UFC-Fox deal EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:42 am

Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Control a big issue in UFC-Fox deal   Control a big issue in UFC-Fox deal EmptyFri May 25, 2012 11:07 am

Quote :
"It's not that I have this plan that I'm out in seven years. I know what the seven-year plan is with the FOX deal and I think my place in this sport and in this organization, I've always known what I wanted to do and I absolutely know that we're gonna do it in the next seven years. I know where this thing's gonna go and where it's gonna be and I think that in seven years the sport, the athletes that are competing in this sport, building all the weight classes, doing all the things that need to be done, we're gonna get this stuff done in the next seven years. The one goal that we did set out to do was to get this thing in every country. We're gonna be there in seven years. I'm not saying I'm retiring the day this FOX deal is up, or anything like that, but it is what's kinda on my mind."
-Dana White
[youtube][/youtube]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Control a big issue in UFC-Fox deal   Control a big issue in UFC-Fox deal Empty

Back to top Go down

Control a big issue in UFC-Fox deal
Page 1 of 1