Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV

Go down 
+3
KingsOwn19
GDPofDRC
Wolfgangsta
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV Empty
PostSubject: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 6:49 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/6/8/2214242/ufc-in-talks-to-purchase-control-of-g4-network#comments

The UFC network could happen this year. WEC, Pride, EliteXC, IFL, Strikeforce, WFA and UFC reruns nonstop along with replays of the best TUF seasons and fights. Gangster.

Last edited by Wolfgangsta on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 7:05 pm

I hope it doesn't happen, I don't get G4 anymore.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 7:19 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
I hope it doesn't happen, I don't get G4 anymore.

Why? If the network is rebranded you'd get it again soon enough. Long term this is fucking huge for MMA fans. Also, I doubt the UFC would be ready to switch from the 90 million homes Spike gets to the 66 that G4 has without something else in the pipeline. The UFC has relationships with both NBC and CBS and will be on one of those main line networks soon enough.

Fuck Spike TV.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 7:20 pm

DirectTV and G4 don't do business together any more. But yeah if it turned ZTV they should come back.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 7:28 pm

In other on the surface unrelated news this day ;

The UFC blames Spike TV for TUF's abysmal ratings and no UK shows.

Spike and the UFC are going to divorce.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 7:29 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
DirectTV and G4 don't do business together any more. But yeah if it turned ZTV they should come back.

DirectTV would get the UFC network as soon as it could. No one gives a shit about G4 but the UFC brand is another story.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 7:55 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
In other on the surface unrelated news this day ;

The UFC blames Spike TV for TUF's abysmal ratings and no UK shows.

Spike and the UFC are going to divorce.

Not sure how much blame should be given to Spike. Some surely. TUF and the UFC holding shows in Europe and the reception are not 100% the responsibility of Spike. Will be interesting to see how much more tear is publicly spilled in this disunion.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 8:00 pm

Hope it does not happen...i'd rather have my Cheaters, Ninja Warrior, and Cops marathons.

How about UFC just make their own channel like true champs? WWE did it.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 8:40 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Hope it does not happen...i'd rather have my Cheaters, Ninja Warrior, and Cops marathons.

How about UFC just make their own channel like true champs? WWE did it.

Dana recently(post SF aquisition) said starting your own channel is much harder than it was even a few short years ago. Also, as I have been trying in vein to explain to a bunch of writers and staffers from SBnation that have disappointing reading comprehension suddenly that G4 programming that does good would likely be kept anyway. The UFC blamed no UK shows directly on Spike. Spike execs have been openly talking about TUF 14 as the last season of the show, and Spike execs have been talking to and visiting Bellator events. It's over.

Someone needs fired at Spike. The WWE and the UFC both left and were replaced by TNA and Bellator.

Last edited by Wolfgangsta on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 8:46 pm

I heard one of the main reasons..without reading the BE article which may have mentioned it...one of the main reasons Zuffa bought out SF was so they didnt go on Spike once UFC was done there. That would have been huge for Strikeforce but i guess they didnt have the time to wait...perhaps Showtime probably would have prevented that as well but i read that in other articles.

If they bought out G4...kept the Cheaters, Cops, and Ninja Warrior...and then replaced all that silly gaming bullshit with Pride, Strikeforce, etc. events...then hell yeah.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 8:56 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
I heard one of the main reasons..without reading the BE article which may have mentioned it...one of the main reasons Zuffa bought out SF was so they didnt go on Spike once UFC was done there. That would have been huge for Strikeforce but i guess they didnt have the time to wait...perhaps Showtime probably would have prevented that as well but i read that in other articles.

If they bought out G4...kept the Cheaters, Cops, and Ninja Warrior...and then replaced all that silly gaming bullshit with Pride, Strikeforce, etc. events...then hell yeah.

The BE article missed that point. I did too. Great pull.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:39 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:

The counter to that though is Bellator now could then have an opportunity to get on Spike. MTV2 is working out alright, but Spike already has that MMA reputation built upm even if it is with the UFC. Rebney actually talked about this exact thing in an interview I saw recently.

Now Bellator is solid, but isn't exactly making noise like SF, nor do I really think they will ever before being seen by the Eye of Modor known as the UFC.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:42 pm

On this overall, G4 has some decent viewing, but man it would be insane if the UFC/SF/Zuffa had their own station. I'd hope it'd be used to it's potential if they did pull this off.

Seems like Showtime may be the one that gets the boot from looking at everything, then obviously Spike..

Since G4 is part of Comcast they still leave the door open for big shows on NBC.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:43 pm

Yea LA. Bellator is next for Spike. But Bellator have no legit HW's, a decent MW champ, and a really good LW champ, but that is the only division they have that really could ever make a claim to have any fighters on the UFC's elite level, while SF had many legit HW's including several who could stake a claim as the worlds best once the GP was over. They have a decently legit LHW division. A good MW. A really marketable WW champ and a LW who could argue he is as good as the UFC's champ.

Also Strikeforce's brand is much more significant than Bellator's. Good play by the UFC.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:43 pm

Showtime isn't getting the boot. The UFC has wanted to be on premium TV forever.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:47 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Yea LA. Bellator is next for Spike. But Bellator have no legit HW's, a decent MW champ, and a really good LW champ, but that is the only division they have that really could ever make a claim to have any fighters on the UFC's elite level, while SF had many legit HW's including several who could stake a claim as the worlds best once the GP was over. They have a decently legit LHW division. A good MW. A really marketable WW champ and a LW who could argue he is as good as the UFC's champ.

Also Strikeforce's brand is much more significant than Bellator's. Good play by the UFC.

Seems we're on the same page on this.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:48 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Showtime isn't getting the boot. The UFC has wanted to be on premium TV forever.

You think they'd be all over the place? G4 is Comcast who they've worked with through Vs, then can possibly get on NBC also Comcast.

I'd be fine with it, but have my doubts unless Showtime gives over full production rights.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:50 pm

but isnt Bellator's contract with MTV a multi-year deal?

Strikeforce also had built up their brand recognition to the point where getting on the former home of the UFC may have put them fully in the mainstream of MMA. Bellator is still pretty obscure with underground name value so it's not really the same as if Strikeforce had moved in on Spike TV with a few names recognizable to the casual fans and a good track record of high level fights. It's all moot now though and who knows if Showtime would have allowed it anyway.

I hope the UFC stays on Spike. That is a very good deal for them and Spike has always been committed to the product...G4 has a similar demographic though and if UFC can control it..it would probably turn out better...but please keep the infidelity, crime, and This is Spinal Tap showings on G4 please.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 12:00 am

It was said to expire in 6 months, I read that at least a month ago.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 12:13 am

The ufc and spike are done. As much people say the ufc demands control, Spike is responsible for TUF and picks the prelim fight cards. Probably has a big hand in all Spike card selection.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 12:24 am

Can Spike survive without the UFC? Adding Bellator would be solid but not quite the UFC.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 12:31 am

LA wrote:
Can Spike survive without the UFC? Adding Bellator would be solid but not quite the UFC.

They'll survive. TNA pulls in a couple million viewers a week, and believe it or not...people actually watch their stupid ass original programming like Manswers. The UFC on average pulled in on Spike what TNA does weekly...but obviously UFC did more things on Spike with Tuf, Unleashed, events, countdown shows, but Spike has stuff to fall back on and bringing in Bellator with their weekly show model would be good..not the UFC of course, but they'll be fine.

Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 12:57 am

Will the UFC network position itself as a part time MMA network opposite Spike and HDnet or will it go full MMA like a sports network?
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 1:25 am

Full time if they can fill it, what would they do with the other time slots?

Would it be called UFC Network? if it stayed G4 possibly a mix.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 1:46 am

There is a good thread on BE where I discuss this with Mike Fagan and some of the other SBnation writers. Check it out. Lots of informative posts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV   UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC in talks to purchase control of G4 TV
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next