Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue

Go down 
+8
bobbitt15
cheekynffc
GDPofDRC
timthebim
Wolfgangsta
Andrew the Raider King
KingsOwn19
cascade_run
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue Empty
PostSubject: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Quote :
UFC president Dana White is less than thrilled with a recent ESPN.com story detailing the financial struggles of UFC fighters.

He's downright incensed at the "spin" video he anticipates from the cable channel's forthcoming "Outside the Lines" piece focusing on the same subject.

So as you might imagine, the fiery UFC boss isn't staying mum on the subject. In fact, he's taking full aim at everyone involved in the project and promises a thorough reply that he says will truly set the record straight.

"I don't even have to see the completed piece," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following Friday's UFC 142 weigh-ins in Rio de Janeiro. "They didn't even have to show up for the interview for me to know what they were doing. That's why I didn't do the interview. I refused. I turned it down. They wanted me and (UFC co-owner) Lorenzo (Fertitta). I refused and turned it down.

"I want nothing to do with ESPN's sneaky [expletive] 'E:60' and 'Outside the Lines' and all their crock of [expletive] shows. These guys come out with an agenda."

While White declined to talk to ESPN, Fertitta did accept the invitation, and he's among the featured subjects of the "Outside the Lines" piece, which debuts Sunday morning at 10 a.m. ET on ESPN2.

A preview clip of the episode focuses on UFC Hall of Famer Ken Shamrock, who contends the UFC's practices of eliminating their competition have left fighters with few viable options.

"UFC has gone out and strategically bought out every company, or they cut the knees out from underneath them when they tried to get started by putting on shows while their shows were on, which is fine," Shamrock said. "There's nothing wrong with that kind of business, but when you get in that position, then don't use that position to hold the fighters hostage."

White offered little apology for his organization's practices while detailing precisely what he and the UFC did for Shamrock when he brought the MMA legend back to the promotion in 2006.

"This thing started making money in 2005, 2006," White said of the UFC's growth. "It's 2012. If you look at the money the guys made from 2006 to 2012, it's phenomenal what we've done. These guys are coming out, and they got Ken Shamrock. Are you [expletive] kidding me? You know how much money Ken Shamrock owes me?

"Ken Shamrock filed a bogus lawsuit against us and lost. He owes us that money. Do you know what I've done for Ken Shamrock? Ken Shamrock, when I brought him over, he was broke – flat [expletive] broke. He was in income-tax trouble. His knee was shot. I rebuilt his knee. I got him out of income-tax trouble, fronted him a [expletive]-load of money. We gave him money – literally gave him money – $60,000. We gave him $60,000 just to get him back on his feet. You know how much money he made in the two fights he fought with us? It was $2.5 million.

"[Expletive] you, Ken Shamrock."

Speaking to ESPN, Mixed Martial Arts Fighters Association founder Rob Maysey estimated that the median per-fight income for UFC fighters is currently between $17,000 and $23,000, and that the promotion likely only distributes 5 percent of its total income in the form of fighter pay.

White admitted he couldn't estimate the median income off-hand, but he scoffed at the notion the company issn't appropriately spreading its wealth.

"We're right on par with the NFL, Major League Baseball, everybody, which is up in the 50s," White said.

White contends ESPN went on a mission to track down fighters willing to trash the company. According to the UFC boss, when many athletes instead had good words to say about the company, ESPN declined to air their thoughts.

"They went out and tried to talk to all these fighters," White said. "The fighters were calling us going, 'ESPN is here.' One of them notably was Matt Serra. Matt Serra said, 'They come in, they waste my [expletive] time, they set up all their cameras, and when I started giving the interview, they didn't like what I was saying. They shut the [expletive] thing down and left.' We had numerous fighters say that. They were calling me and saying, 'ESPN is showing up and wanted to do an interview, and when they don't like what we say, they leave the interview.'"

It was this reality, White contends, that led ESPN to Shamrock.

"They had to dig so deep they had to find Ken Shamrock, the guy who ends up getting busted for steroids three times after he leaves the UFC," White said. "You couldn't find a more honorable, honest and great guy to come out and interview than Ken Shamrock? I have absolutely zero respect for Ken Shamrock. I think Ken Shamrock is a horrible [expletive] human being."

The interview with Fertitta was filmed in late July 2011, according to UFC officials. White said UFC cameras were also in the room, and he plans to use the footage to offer a full rebuttal following ESPN's debut of the "Outside the LInes" episode.

"I know how they operate," White said. "I've done interviews with them before. What we did is, when they filmed Lorenzo, we filmed them filming Lorenzo. We have the entire interview right there. It's pretty interesting to see how they're going to spin it.

"What I'm going to do is I'm going to watch their piece. Then I'm going to put out a piece with my interview to show how you can really spin it and make stuff look one way or the other. Then I'll show the interview in its entirety."

White said Fertitta also addresses the revenue-sharing issue during the interview, and he believes the UFC co-owner's words will speak volumes when heard in their entirety.

"When you hear Lorenzo's interview and what the facts really are, yeah, I don't even know how they can do this story without spinning it," White said. "That's why it took eight [expletive] months to do."

As a private company, the UFC is not required to open their accounting books to the public, and there is, of course, little value in such a move for the promotion. However, White said many of the issues he expects to be addressed in the piece have changed greatly since this past summer, and he looks forward to proving his critics wrong.

"A lot has happened since [Fertitta filmed the interview], so we're going to play the thing in its entirety and update everybody on what's going on," White said.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26971/ufc-boss-slams-espn-piece-ken-shamrock-promises-thorough-video-reply.mma
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks to Dan Patrick and all the him telling exactly how the mothership operates, I don't doubt what White is saying, looking forward to seeing both interviews though and making my own well informed opinion, didn't know that about Ken Shamrock, what the hell did he do with all the WWE money, jackass.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm definitely shocked that Dana didnt come out and confirm that everything in the peice is the truth.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:49 am

Well ESPN is a business and they might have an agenda, but who cares. I will enjoy the piece and I think DW is right on, but I will still watch it.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:18 am

This piece sucks. The UFC model keeps fighters hungry. Shut up Rico.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:45 am

Damn I missed the piece Sad
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 12:10 pm

Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 5:02 pm

Pretty good, I like Lorenzo outfront on this one, sometimes Dana comes off as not giving a fuck about what people are trying to talk to him about and gets angry ala Vince Mcmahon when he was interviews by Bob Costas, hey Shamrock if your kids are trying to break in to the sport, they already have it bad enough with all the damage you did, do you really want to make it harder for them, cut your hair too.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Kens flowing locks were the only interesting thing in that story
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:24 pm

Lorenzo is cleaning house

Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Lol, this is just educating newbs what mma people already know. Of course Zuffa takes any and every advantage they can on paying people. They can, they do.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:48 pm

some guys only get $4000.

i bet GSP spends that on one day's training camp.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:49 pm

The pay is fine
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:00 pm

The roles fighters have in a promotion and what players on a team are different. I think prelim guys deserve more now that theyre on TV but overall pay is getting better.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:37 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
The roles fighters have in a promotion and what players on a team are different. I think prelim guys deserve more now that theyre on TV but overall pay is getting better.

At minimum more sponsors will be willing to pay them since they'll be on TV.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:58 am

I go back and forth with my opinion on ufc fighter pay. I do think the fighters should make more money but I do think the ufc has a point when they talk about how little mma fighters made before them. I think the ufc should have to disclose what they are making tho.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:14 pm

MMAEYES wrote:
I go back and forth with my opinion on ufc fighter pay. I do think the fighters should make more money but I do think the ufc has a point when they talk about how little mma fighters made before them. I think the ufc should have to disclose what they are making tho.

Why is that?
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:22 pm

I just want what's best for the fighters that why. I understand why the ufc doesn't want to do that and I'm not saying it's criminal that they don't I just think they should have to for the better of the fighters.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Man a guy on a under card making 8 grand isnt great but its not terrible. I think keeping the fighter pay in check makes for better cards. In boxing the main event fighters make so much 90% of the time the guys on the undercard I have never heard of or the 1s I do know are in such big mismatches they arent interesting. By the UFC paying win bonuses and finishing bonuses I think it makes the fighters go above and beyond to put on a good show.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
Here you go Tim

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7456309

Thanks Drew.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Dana's such a tool at times.

Quote :
Dan Rafael
@ @danawhite FYI: ESPN does not pay the fighters, the promoters do. ESPN pays the promoters a license fee for the card.

Dana White
@ @danrafaelespn yup I know that and they should investigate the guys on their own network that would pay a fighter $200!

Dan Rafael
@ @danawhite My only point was that Lorenzo was mixing apples and oranges.

Dana White
no he wasn't. These guys on ESPN want to say we don't pay fair and boxing pays more!? Who has more $ than ESPN? We pay more!

Dan Rafael
@ @danawhite ESPN spends a limited $$ on #boxing programming. It's one of 1000 sports it shows. Billions on NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA. You know that

Dana White
@ @danrafaelespn when they are raking in the highest fee's in all of TV and 2.8B a year then they should pay more!!

Dan Rafael
If ESPN was paying a license fee of millions it would be reasonable to compare.

Dana White
@danrafaelespn we financed the UFC for 6 years and paid all the fighters out of our pockets!! And yes why doesn't ESPN pay them more/lic fee

Dan Rafael
There is no "boxing" pays more. It would be a specific promoter pays more. In the case of MMA, that would be UFC, the promoter

Dana White
ESPN will make 2.8B this year!!!!!! Guys on ESPN cards make $200 dollars for 4 round fights and they are askn what we pay!?

Dan Rafael
Blaming ESPN for the purses a promtoer pays on an ESPN show is like blaming Fox (or previously Spike or Versus) for UFC purses.

Dana White
@danrafaelespn that's like Nike saying a factory in China makes the shoes not us! How can we be responsible!? ESPN 2 faced liars!!!!
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Matt Serra has turned into a porker!

pig
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:02 am

Ken Shamrock saying u know we made alot of money together was a nice throw in at the end lol.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 10:03 am

Ken Shamrock is pissed off because he feels the sport owes him more than he has garnered in his life. What he doesn't see is the three failed PED test and the ass whoopings he took from Tito Ortiz. And after seeing that million dollar boat that Tito has? I don't ever want to hear him bitching about money again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue   Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Dana vs. ESPN on the pay issue
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next