Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'

Go down 
+2
bobbitt15
MMAEYES
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' Empty
PostSubject: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 am

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/1/4/2682886/mauricio-rua-training-next-fight-2012-ufc

After his brutal and epic back-and-forth brawl that has been labeled by many as the 2011 "Fight of the Year" with Dan Henderson at UFC 139 on Nov. 19, 2011, Mauricio Rua has been as quiet as a Christmas mouse.

Presumably, the former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion has been taking some time to himself to heal and reflect on the tough loss, which saw "Shogun" bruised and battered worse than he ever had throughout his nine years of competing in mixed martial arts (MMA).

Henderson landed one "H-Bomb" after another, punches that would have ended many fighters. However, the tough Brazilian showed his heart and endurance, recovering and even almost ending the fight himself an a couple of occasions, only to come up on the short end of the judge's decision.

With the win, Henderson positioned himself as a top contender for the UFC's 205-pound title, which is currently held by Jon Jones. He might challenge "Bones" in 2012; however, he will likely have to wait and see the outcome of the main event of UFC on Fox 2 on Jan. 28, 2012, between Rashad Evans and Phil Davis.

Rua, on the other hand, will now have the tough task of trying to climb to the top of the ladder once again after his loss at UFC 139. Speaking to Tatame.com, the 2005 PRIDE Grand Prix champion says he is already back to training and hopes to have a fight lined up as soon as next week.

Check it out:

"The expectations are good and I'm already training. I hope I get better soon so I can fight for my fans, family and team. Actually, now I'm taking it slow, just training. I don't know when I'm fighting. Next week I might make some deal, but for now I don't know anything about it, so I'm taking it easy. When I know it for sure, I can set a plan and work on it. This is the most disputed weight class, and I don't have an opponent yet because it's too messy right now. I guess Dan Henderson is getting a title shot and I have no idea of who I'm fighting against. I want to get ready for my next fight. I'm sure it'll be a tough guy because there're only tough guys on the division. I'll keep training to fight the best."

Once hailed as the top 205-pound fighter in the world, Rua has gone 3-3 in his last six fights under the Zuffa umbrella, with a short lived title run sandwiched between.

With the UFC's light heavyweight division crowded with plenty of tough challengers, "Shogun" will undoubtedly have his work cut out for him should he ever earn the opportunity to compete for the title again.

Rich Franklin, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Tito Ortiz are a few veterans currently without opponents. In addition, there is a young up-and-comer like Alexander Gustafsson, as well as an upcoming UFC on FUEL TV 2 event in his native Sweden, who is also looking for his next fight ... and a main event.

Hmmm ...
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Hoping Shogun comes back strong!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 3:35 pm

I expect Shogun to face Rampage again as long as he handles Bader.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:20 pm

The total lack of leg kicks from Shogun against Bones, Forrest, and Hendo is one of the most puzzling things I've ever seen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:21 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
The total lack of leg kicks from Shogun against Bones, Forrest, and Hendo is one of the most puzzling things I've ever seen

Worried about takedowns ?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:28 pm

Ali wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

Worried about takedowns ?

Against Jones maybe but he was getting taken down easily anyway so what's the difference...him thudding against those stick legs was the only chance he had in that fight

The Hendo fight was easily the most puzzling to me. Henderson isn't taking people down and staying on top at this point in his career. He's a standup fighter, and a flat footed one at that. I couldn't believe Shogun wasn't throwing kicks at will
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:50 pm

His knees are shot. It was sad to see how little he was moving against Hendo compared to what he was doing against Machida the first time around but that many surgeries since 2006 will do that.
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:56 pm

bobbitt, I totally agree. There should not have been any fear of the takedown against Hendo. When was the last time Hendo took someone down with a leg attack? Most of his takedowns, which are very few at this stage of his career, come from the clinch as he was an excellent Greco wrestler, but never placed at nationals in folkstyle or freestyle. Leg kicks are a must against Hendo and I think Jones will implement them a lot if Hendo gets a title shot, especially since Jones will have little worry of the overhand right counter to his leg kicks, since his limbs are so long.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Ludo wrote:
His knees are shot. It was sad to see how little he was moving against Hendo compared to what he was doing against Machida the first time around but that many surgeries since 2006 will do that.

Probably right. What a shame, really thought he was primed for a 2nd run of terror after those 2 Machida fights
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 9:34 am

first fight back against Thiago? any thoughts gents
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 9:50 am

Yeah I think it's because his knees are either shot or he is just too scared to injure them again. Missing that much time because of injury must have fucked him up badly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 9:51 am

killerofchicken wrote:

I'd rather see him fight Lawal, Cavalcante or Mousasi.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 9:56 am

freakzilla wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:

I'd rather see him fight Lawal, Cavalcante or Mousasi.
Let's just assume that none of those SF fighters are coming over at the moment and Thiago will be in the UFC. What are your thoughts then?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 9:59 am

I'd rather see Thiago get an easier fight after one scrap in 2 years although I think he could beat this current version of Shogun
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:01 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
I'd rather see Thiago get an easier fight after one scrap in 2 years although I think he could beat this current version of Shogun
Thiago doesn't deserve an easy fight, or any fight where he is the betting favorite. He deserves an ass whoopin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 am

Out of current UFC fighters either Rampage or Forrest.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:18 am

well, considering that Rampage is fighting Bader and Forrest would get his ass beat in a second... who else you got in mind freak?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:20 am

Gus, Machida, Phil Davis when he loses to Rashad...those are guys I know would beat Thiago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:24 am

Machida already KO'd him in the first. No need for a rematch. Thiago wouldn't stop Forrest if Forrest was motivated and in shape. Forrest could even win.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:26 am

freakzilla wrote:
Machida already KO'd him in the first. No need for a rematch. Thiago wouldn't stop Forrest if Forrest was motivated and in shape. Forrest could even win.
This is the last thing Thiago Silva deserves. A favorable matchup vs a name fighter. He hasn't earned that. You can't reward the guy after the shit he pulled.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:31 am

OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
This is the last thing Thiago Silva deserves. A favorable matchup vs a name fighter. He hasn't earned that. You can't reward the guy after the shit he pulled.

Machida doesn't deserve to be put in the cage with Thiago. You are majorly underrating Forrest. I'd agree with Phil Davis, Rampage or Lawal next.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:32 am

freakzilla wrote:
OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

Machida doesn't deserve to be put in the cage with Thiago. You are majorly underrating Forrest. I'd agree with Phil Davis, Rampage or Lawal next.
Do you mean he is above that?
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:40 am

dudes. were talking about shogun and who he'll be fighting next... not thiago silva
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:45 am

killerofchicken wrote:
dudes. were talking about shogun and who he'll be fighting next... not thiago silva
This is where the conversation took us. Atleast we aren't talking soccer...
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:47 am

OU wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:
This is where the conversation took us. Atleast we aren't talking soccer...
bahaha, jew guys are great
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'   Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best' Empty

Back to top Go down

Mauricio Rua resumes training, hopes to have next fight lined up soon against 'the best'
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next