Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shogun got a new conditioning coach!

Go down 
+3
KingsOwn19
MMAEYES
killerofchicken
7 posters
AuthorMessage
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

Shogun got a new conditioning coach! Empty
PostSubject: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 9:34 am

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/8/24/2381281/new-conditioning-coach-believes-shogun-is-gonna-tear-forrest-griffin

One of the key factors in Forrest Griffin's original victory over Mauricio Rua nearly four years ago was an issue with cardio.

In fact, problems with conditioning have plagued "Shogun" multiple times in his UFC career, including his fight with Mark Coleman and his most recent bout against Jon Jones, during which he lost his light heavyweight title at UFC 128.

While a lingering knee injury also played a part, Rua pulled out all the stops in preparation for Saturday night's UFC 134 rematch with Griffin by hiring top conditioning coach, Todd Norman.

Norman has worked with premiere MMA fighters like Anderson Silva, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Mark Munoz, Renato Sobral and even other top athletes like Mark Sanchez and Lindsay Davenport.

In a recent interview, the former conditioning coach for the Anaheim Ducks hockey team stated that he believes cardio won't be a problem in Saturday night's fight in Brazil:

Quote :
"The thing I do first and foremost with these guys is work on core strength and stability.A lot of the movements that they have to get out of or get into require rotational strength and power so core is kind of the foundation of what I do with these guys. Then we get into all the athletic develop training like foot speed, agility and reaction which is something a lot of these guys haven't had. They've done a lot of striking and kicking and their MMA techniques but when it comes to pure athleticism and coordination, I try to get that foundation underneath them first. Once we've built the foundation for the athlete, then we tailor to more fight-specific training from a strength and conditioning standpoint. With Shogun right now, we're getting to that phase where we are working on more cardio and conditioning to make it more fight-specific. By the time he gets to the fight, hopefully the conditioning aspect won't be an issue."
Of course, when asked to make a prediction, it wasn't too difficult who Norman picked to have his hand raised come Saturday night:

Quote :
"When I'm training someone for a fight or whatever it is, it's 100%, 'You're gonna win and you're gonna dominate.' That's the way it is. The mind-set can't be any other way. I think the athlete or the fighter have got to believe in themself and I think whoever is working with them has got to be 100% believing in them. That's the way I am. To me, 100% 'Shogun' is gonna rip him up, tear him apart."
Confidence could be a key issue for Rua as he heads into this fight. He's coming off a humiliating defeat to Jones in which he was completely mauled for nearly three rounds before being stopped and even tapping to strikes immediately after the referee intervened.

He's not only got that loss in the back of his head, but the previous loss to Griffin -- a third round submission via rear naked choke -- to deal with. He's likely been fielding questions about both losses in every interview he's had to do in the lead-up to this co-main event fight.

There's just no getting around it.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 9:34 am

I LIKE!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 9:55 am

Lets hope Shogun's knee troubles are a thing of the past.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 10:33 am

I like too killer, man I hope he lays Forrest out!
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 10:39 am

MMAEYES wrote:
+1 same here man, he needs to come back with a classic KO
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 10:39 am

shit... soccer kicks aren't allowed lol
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 4:27 pm

I might retire from watching MMA if he loses to that guy again...i don't think i can handle Leben KO Wandy, Fedor losing, and Forrest beats Shogun all within 60 days....to add on top of that...Big Nog better beat that sack of nothing Brendan Schuab.
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 2:42 am

Kick ass pic Kings

Looks like he is doing all the right things to be succesful come Saturday, now we will have to see if his fighting heart is still there
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:07 am

I really doubt Minotauro pulls it out against Schaub barring a total lack of gameplan by Schaub(he hasn't looked like that yet). I am kind of hoping what I heard about Shogun both from Killer here and someone at another forum mentioned about Shogun's knee being re-injured is false because I'd love to see him win this fight and maybe one more before getting a rematch with Jones where he can at least be somewhat healthy. He might not beat Jones but he'd sure put up a better fight than last time if he wasn't coming off a fresh knee surgery without giving it proper time to heal.
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:33 am

To be honest his ass needs it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 4:11 am

MMAEYES wrote:

WTF, you and I supporting the same guy in a fight?
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 4:29 am

Fuck American in this fight Shogun FTW!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 4:42 am

Is there anyone that doesn't like Shogun?
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 4:57 am

I didn't like him when he fought my boy but that's about it.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 8:33 am

AV bet on Shogun being in shape? Anyone?
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 8:45 am

freakzilla wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:

I believe we share opinions on a few fighters Freak, we're both Fedor fans, thats the first one that comes to mind. It's your support of the greesy one that doesn't sit well with me lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 9:18 am

MMAEYES wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:

I believe we share opinions on a few fighters Freak, we're both Fedor fans, thats the first one that comes to mind. It's your support of the greesy one that doesn't sit well with me lol

Lol, yeah and your support for the fat Mr Miyagi doesn't sit well with me tongue
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 9:20 am

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shogun got a new conditioning coach!   Shogun got a new conditioning coach! Empty

Back to top Go down

Shogun got a new conditioning coach!
Page 1 of 1