Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History

Go down 
+10
corydd7
chorky777
OU
thessy11
Andrew the Raider King
GDPofDRC
Farmer1906
bobbitt15
jewzilla
Birdofthad
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:27 pm

chorky777 wrote:
Miletich wasn't undefeated, and Newton is not even close to one of the best grapplers of all time.

Miletich was 4-0 in the UFC going into the fight with Carlos Newton
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:27 pm

corydd7 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UFC_champions

Thats every champ ever.........what about Jens great guy but was lucky to be a champ

beating BJ Penn, beating Caol Uno and beating a prime Dennis Hallman isnt lucky
Back to top Go down
corydd7
Green Belt
Green Belt
corydd7

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the name Silva, Chris Leben, Nick Diaz, Don Frye

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Evan Tanner is another guy who was a hardnosed fighter but wouldnt be in the top 15 at mw today.
Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Matt Hughes,Tito Ortiz,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:30 pm

chorky777 wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
Forrest is worse than Brock considering that Forrest didn't even win the fight.
Yeah, because beating a guy 49-45 is not winning.

+1

forrest clearly beat page. close fight but forrest wont that fight
Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:35 pm

thessy11 wrote:
The list seems to be a weird combination of fighters who "maybe were not deserving of the title at the time that they won it" and fighters who "never should have won a title" and putting the two together makes it kind of a mess.

Forrest and Sherk, while not on the list, irk me for even being mentioned in the thread. Sherk was freaking 30-0 against guys not named Matt Hughes or GSP (the two greatest WW of all time) when he won the title.

nick diaz?

dont forget sherk beat kenny who went on to prove in future fights he was a top contender in the division.

also forrest has wins over title holders and champs in page,rua and tito (a faded one) but still. heck both rua and page were in the top 5 wen forrest beat them
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:35 pm

corydd7 wrote:
Evan Tanner is another guy who was a hardnosed fighter but wouldnt be in the top 15 at mw today.

probably true....but, he beat Dave Menne and beat down David Terrell (the legit #1 contendor at the time)
Back to top Go down
corydd7
Green Belt
Green Belt
corydd7

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the name Silva, Chris Leben, Nick Diaz, Don Frye

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:37 pm

Caol Uno isnt much at all to me. The other two are big wins but look at him the last 4 1/2 years if you have a 1-8 stretch in MMA you should have your "championship" at least looked at.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:38 pm

thats a joke of an argument cory considering everyone in mma considered Caol Uno the best lightweight in the world after winning the Shooto title.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:38 pm

throwdownfight1 wrote:
thessy11 wrote:
The list seems to be a weird combination of fighters who "maybe were not deserving of the title at the time that they won it" and fighters who "never should have won a title" and putting the two together makes it kind of a mess.

Forrest and Sherk, while not on the list, irk me for even being mentioned in the thread. Sherk was freaking 30-0 against guys not named Matt Hughes or GSP (the two greatest WW of all time) when he won the title.

nick diaz?

dont forget sherk beat kenny who went on to prove in future fights he was a top contender in the division.

also forrest has wins over title holders and champs in page,rua and tito (a faded one) but still. heck both rua and page were in the top 5 wen forrest beat them
Don't forget Franklin.
Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:45 pm

5. Brock Lesnar - Some will say too low in the list and some will say he doesnt belong. But when you have only had 3 fights and are fighting for a title, you are going to come up short compared to other champions. Also, the fact that Brock beat an old, small Randy Couture to win the title doesn't exactly help his cause.

didnt randy only have 3 fights under him when he won his first ufc belt. if anything brock excelled as a hw champ for he did what other former hw champs couldnt, defend the belt against legit top comp. also randy was old wen he faced chuck the first time, when he faced timmy in 07 and machida in 11.

i agree with some of ur picks like serra but ur way off on guys like brock,forrest and sherk
Back to top Go down
corydd7
Green Belt
Green Belt
corydd7

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:47 pm

What im saying is that if you look at the skills of Jens at his prime he still wouldnt be dominant against top level guys. Huge power from a little guy but the telling thing to me was the BJ rematch. BJ is amazing dont get me wrong but he looked about ten levels above Jens. I believe Jens was only 32 at the time and would have been outclassed by 90% of the lw's on the ufc roster, when he lost to Lauzon and BJ. Any champ has big wins but if you go down the list of champs, if you had to pick i think he's at the bottom of the barrel.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:56 pm

throwdownfight1 wrote:
5. Brock Lesnar - Some will say too low in the list and some will say he doesnt belong. But when you have only had 3 fights and are fighting for a title, you are going to come up short compared to other champions. Also, the fact that Brock beat an old, small Randy Couture to win the title doesn't exactly help his cause.

didnt randy only have 3 fights under him when he won his first ufc belt. if anything brock excelled as a hw champ for he did what other former hw champs couldnt, defend the belt against legit top comp. also randy was old wen he faced chuck the first time, when he faced timmy in 07 and machida in 11.

i agree with some of ur picks like serra but ur way off on guys like brock,forrest and sherk

Randy was 3-0, which is a bigger difference that 2-1. Also 1 of Randys fights wasnt a gimme in Japan. Randy won a tournament then beat Vitor (who was thought to be best fighter in the org) before EARNING his title shot.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:58 pm

corydd7 wrote:
What im saying is that if you look at the skills of Jens at his prime he still wouldnt be dominant against top level guys. Huge power from a little guy but the telling thing to me was the BJ rematch. BJ is amazing dont get me wrong but he looked about ten levels above Jens. I believe Jens was only 32 at the time and would have been outclassed by 90% of the lw's on the ufc roster, when he lost to Lauzon and BJ. Any champ has big wins but if you go down the list of champs, if you had to pick i think he's at the bottom of the barrel.

you realize fighters have a prime and some fighters prime end sooner than others.

Thats a horrible example, considering NO ONE THOUGHT JENS WAS WORTHY he had jsut been knocked out by Lauzon.

No way is someone like Sherk or Forrest higher than Jens as far as good champions. Look Jens had DEFENSES against the best in his division.
Back to top Go down
corydd7
Green Belt
Green Belt
corydd7

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
corydd7 wrote:

you realize fighters have a prime and some fighters prime end sooner than others.

Thats a horrible example, considering NO ONE THOUGHT JENS WAS WORTHY he had jsut been knocked out by Lauzon.

No way is someone like Sherk or Forrest higher than Jens as far as good champions. Look Jens had DEFENSES against the best in his division.
Well were going to have to agree to disagree lol because no way do I have Jens higher then Sherk. I do see your point about having defended the title a couple times, so i'll give you that. From now on im rooting against Shamrock cause of you Wink
Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
throwdownfight1 wrote:

Randy was 3-0, which is a bigger difference that 2-1. Also 1 of Randys fights wasnt a gimme in Japan. Randy won a tournament then beat Vitor (who was thought to be best fighter in the org) before EARNING his title shot.

thats cool, neither were any of lesnars first 3. also yes randy beat vitor who was a top dog at the time but at the same time mir was in the top 15, herring was cracking the top 10. both were veterens ,top guys and established fighters in the division wen lesnar beat them. did he deserve a title shot? no. was he a good champion? yes for he went on to defeat and finish 3 top 5 fighters in his division and defend his belt multiple times
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 5:56 pm

corydd7 wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:
corydd7 wrote:

Well were going to have to agree to disagree lol because no way do I have Jens higher then Sherk. I do see your point about having defended the title a couple times, so i'll give you that. From now on im rooting against Shamrock cause of you Wink

WAAAAAAAAAARRRRR!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 5:58 pm

throwdownfight1 wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:
throwdownfight1 wrote:

thats cool, neither were any of lesnars first 3. also yes randy beat vitor who was a top dog at the time but at the same time mir was in the top 15, herring was cracking the top 10. both were veterens ,top guys and established fighters in the division wen lesnar beat them. did he deserve a title shot? no. was he a good champion? yes for he went on to defeat and finish 3 top 5 fighters in his division and defend his belt multiple times

YES IT WAS ever heard of Min Soo Kim??????? You know that great 3-7 fighter Brock debuted against in K-1. Then Brock came to UFC in his next fight and tapped out to Frank Mir. He then beat Heath Hearing who was clearly faded (if you watched the O'Brien fight you know what I mean).

So of course he's ready for a title shot at 2-1.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Sean Sherk being anywhere near this list...LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Frank Mir anyone? The Frank Mir that victimized washed up or sick and washed up Pride legends wasn't an undisputed champ. The one who snapped poopys arm with no striking and no cardio and no wrestling was. Would be murked by anyone around today. Frank 2.0 isn't all that and a bag of chips either, but would still maul the one who was actually champion.

Evan Tanner held his own at HW and LHW before dropping to his natural weight. MW isn't full of murderers. It's not exactly like Yushin Okami and Mayhem Miller would be running through him.

Vitor is an inconsistent flake for sure, but he has been ranked in the top five in three weight classes in his career. You don't want a sliced eye lid? Don't get punched in the eye.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 6:57 pm

You could say carwin if you count his interim title victory as having close enough ties to the championship. He is the only fighter that compares to brock in my opinion as far as the fights they fought to lead up to their title fight.

Brock, 3 fights and a title shot
Beat Soo-Kim – SUB
Lost to Mir – SUB
Beat Herring – UD
Beat Couture – KO becomes champ

Carwin, since brock had 3, these are carwin's 3
Beat Wellisch – KO
Beat Wain - KO
Beat Gonzaga - KO
Beat Mir – KO becomes interim champ

Cain, Mir, Nog, Randy, all of the other men with ties to the title iarond this time all were fighting decent fights in their 3 or 4 fights leading to their title shot. The difference with Brock and Carwin is Carwin didn't have just 3 fights, he was already wreckin people real bad for a while. He couldn't fight after 1 round, that's a poor showing championship-wise.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Mir is 1-1 in interim title fights. Beat some characters en route to his first title shot.
Beat Tank – SUB
Beat Simms – DQ
Beat Simms – SUB
Beat Sylvia – SUB becomes champ – surprise bikewrex
…FF>>...
Lost to Vera – KO
Beat Hardonk – SUB
Beat Brock – SUB
Beat Nog – KO becomes interim champ
Loses to Brock – KO in unification bout
Beats Kongo – SUB
Loses to Carwin – KO in interim title fight.

I feel like Mirs tie to the title before the accident and then to comeback and be around it again like he did is worthy of some credit, more than a few othe rHW's who've tasted gold. He's been fighting a touch group of dudes collectively the past few years.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Bird u said brock had a gimme fight in japan. Brock never fought in japan. He fought the dynamite show in the states. Also remind me again who wer randys first two fights against. Kim alone had more experience than randys first 2 opponents. Also herring was coming off a win from kongo, the same congo that finished cro cops prime. Yeah herring was never nothing more than a gatekeeper to the top of the divisioj but he was still a top hw for a rookie in brock to face in only his third fight. Look im not saying brock deserved a title shot however he was good champ for what he accomplished while he was champ and who he beat.
Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 10:30 pm

Now mir may not have been a successfull title defending champ but part of it was due to his injury. Still doesnt take away the fact that the guy was a top hw in the division in the last decade. Dude has wins over 2 hws in nog and timmy who wer top 5 hws wen mir beat them. Some try to discredit mir from his win over nog but fact is mir striking was much improved and managed to do the same thing timmy and cro cop did wich was rock nog and drop him. Only diference was mir wasnt foolish enough to follow him to the ground like they did and unlike them has a great ground with good defense. Staph or not mir would of won. Maybe not by tko but perhaps by dec. Mir may not of been a good champ but he was a much better title holder than arlovski,barnett,smith,coleman,randleman and rutten wer.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 10:41 pm

Look, Anyone trying to say Jens Pulver or Caol Uno belong anywhere NEAR this list is high. Fact is these two were the 1a and 1b in the world at a time when it was universally understood that MMA's most skilled division was 155. It wasn't the most exciting, it wasn't the most talent rich, but it was the most overall skilled division in the sport.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Ludo wrote:
Look, Anyone trying to say Jens Pulver or Caol Uno belong anywhere NEAR this list is high. Fact is these two were the 1a and 1b in the world at a time when it was universally understood that MMA's most skilled division was 155. It wasn't the most exciting, it wasn't the most talent rich, but it was the most overall skilled division in the sport.

+1,000,000,000
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History   The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The 5 Worst Champions in UFC History
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next