Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Greatest Ever Fighter?

Go down 
+7
acccardinal12
GDPofDRC
LTFG
NoRegret
Andrew the Raider King
OU
Wolfgangsta
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Greatest Ever Fighter?
Muhammed Ali
Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
Joe Louis
Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
Sugar Ray Robinson
Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Vote_lcap56%Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 56% [ 10 ]
Fedor Emelianenko
Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 3 ]
Anderson Silva
Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
GSP
Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:14 pm

I just think being a great boxers makes you great boxer. To me, fighting is much more than just boxing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:15 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
This thread... Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Facepalm
+1
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:24 pm

Before you ever heard of MMA, what did you call boxers? Was and is a boxer not called a fighter? Just because there's a new kid on the block doesn't take away from the history of a sport that reaches back hundreds of years. They are fighters... Just a different skillset and rule sheet.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:24 pm

It's like saying "Lance Armstrong is the best cyclist ever, thus would be the best triathlete ever as well".

I don't buy it.

And the Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Facepalm is over the lack of Carlos Palomino in this thread.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:30 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Before you ever heard of MMA, what did you call boxers? Was and is a boxer not called a fighter? Just because there's a new kid on the block doesn't take away from the history of a sport that reaches back hundreds of years. They are fighters... Just a different skillset and rule sheet.

Before MMA? Why does that have any relevance to a question asked today? Boxers can be called fighters there is nothing wrong with that, but fighting encompasses more than just boxing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:31 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
It's like saying "Lance Armstrong is the best cyclist ever, thus would be the best triathlete ever as well".

I don't buy it.

And the Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 Facepalm is over the lack of Carlos Palomino in this thread.
A fighter is a fighter to me but hey I see your point. Also who is to say that MMA guys are the best fighters in the world anyways? I am sure there is a military guy who is trained to fight better than anyone in MMA. I say you would have to take every combat sport in the world into cosideration and to me SRR wins it hands down because of his great career.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:33 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:

Before MMA? Why does that have any relevance to a question asked today? Boxers can be called fighters there is nothing wrong with that, but fighting encompasses more than just boxing.
That just depends on the rules. What about K1? what about a street fight? Even MMA has rules they have to follow. Does that make since?
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:35 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:

You said boxers are boxers and not fighters. That's what I responded to. I'll give Fedor the same respect when he hits 100 wins. As long as we can all differentiate the skillsets, we can logically judge them together in a conversation like this. SRR was far more dominant in his sport than anyone has ever been in MMA. Thus getting the nod from the vast majority in this poll. He was the greatest ever...
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:36 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:

You said boxers are boxers and not fighters. That's what I responded to. I'll give Fedor the same respect when he hits 100 wins. As long as we can all differentiate the skillsets, we can logically judge them together in a conversation like this. SRR was far more dominant in his sport than anyone has ever been in MMA. Thus getting the nod from the vast majority in this poll. He was the greatest ever...
Where do you rank Jeremy Horn?
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:40 pm

The rules are the very thing that limits boxing in regards to the term fighter. If someone asks me who is the greatest fighter ever, rules do not factor into the equation what so ever for me. Those with the most talent to me are those who use their entire body, can utilize various styles and have displayed so on a stage with as few rules binding them as possible, hence mixed martial arts, where boxing is but one of many weapons available. You can't logically ask who the best fighter ever is based on how good they are within the confines of the rules of their sport unless that is what you ask.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:42 pm

I never said boxers were not fighters, I said fighting is more than just boxing.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:54 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:

Should I really have to address this?
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:56 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
The rules are the very thing that limits boxing in regards to the term fighter. If someone asks me who is the greatest fighter ever, rules do not factor into the equation what so ever for me. Those with the most talent to me are those who use their entire body, can utilize various styles and have displayed so on a stage with as few rules binding them as possible, hence mixed martial arts, where boxing is but one of many weapons available. You can't logically ask who the best fighter ever is based on how good they are within the confines of the rules of their sport unless that is what you ask.

I can. And in my opinion, the greatest MMAer ever has never been even close to as dominant as the greatest boxer ever. I didn't even have to think about the answer when I saw the poll...
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Yikes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:00 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:

the greatest MMAer ever has never been even close to as dominant as the greatest boxer ever.

I agree but that in no way would make the boxer a better fighter than all others, it just means they had a better career than all others in their sport.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:05 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:

name 15 Hall of Famers and 24 champions Jeremy beat?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:07 pm

my only point is it was silly of LTFG to say "I'll give Fedor the same respect when he hits 100 wins"
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Horn would have him crying in submission with ease. No problem.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:08 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
my only point is it was silly of LTFG to say "I'll give Fedor the same respect when he hits 100 wins"

I said Fedor... Not Jeremy Fucking Horn...
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Quote :
name 15 Hall of Famers and 24 champions Jeremy beat?

Apples to oranges. There aint 15 HoF'rs yet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ever Fighter?   Greatest Ever Fighter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Yikes.

That's what your wife said when I unzipped...