Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Greatest UFC fighter ever?

Go down 
+8
timthebim
EliteAcidBurn
Wolfgangsta
boomer sooner
OU
Ludo
Farmer1906
chorky777
12 posters
AuthorMessage

Greatest UFC fighter ever? Empty
PostSubject: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 7:02 am

Who do you think is the greatest fighter in the history of the UFC based on just their fights in the UFC?
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 8:01 am

It's clearly Anderson. By far.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 11:18 am

Can't argue with that.

Honorable Mention for GSP

Hughes had a pretty good run for a while too.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 12:37 pm

When I think of the best I gotta go with the first man to ever hold a title in two weight classes in the UFC, Randy Couture. No one else has been in more title fights during their tenure in the UFC, and lets not forget he knocked off two dominant champions to win those titles, neither time being a favorite to win either.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Royce Gracie, winner of UFC 1, UFC 2 and UFC 4 tournaments against much larger competition. Also holds the record for most subs in the UFC with 11.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 1:41 pm

My top five:

1. Randy Couture -- overcoming the odds time and time again and entertaining fights.

2. Anderson Silva -- most dominant champ ever.

3. Chuck Liddell -- awesome fights and dominant run.

4. GSP -- second most dominant champ ever.

5. Matt Hughes -- awesome fights and overcoming odds.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 2:14 pm

Anderson no doubt.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
EliteAcidBurn
Green Belt
Green Belt
EliteAcidBurn

Favorite Fighter(s) : GSP

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 3:52 pm

Anderson and then GSP
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 8:05 pm

Its tough for me to not pick Randy. Just look at the list of guys he has beaten... Tito, Chuck, Vitor, Timmy, Gonzaga and list goes on and on. He was great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 10:47 pm

People keep saying Randy Couture because look at the people he beat but also look at the people he lost to. Anderson Silva has never lost. Rampage didn't lose. Hughes and GSP are/were very dominant. Ryce Gracie achieved a lot and Chuck was great. I don't think you can say Couture is the greatest ever in the UFC. Actually, I think Randy is the most overated UFC figher ever. Yes he's great but people think way too highly of him.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 2:30 am

So beating the two longest reigning Light Heavyweight Champions of all time, being the first guy to ever win both the Heavyweight Title and Light Heavyweight Title isn't as impressive as defending a title one time successfully before losing it to Forrest Griffin... Anderson Silva got three freebie fights against Thales Leites, Patrick Cote, and the second time he fought Rich Franklin...

Couture beat guys he was given almost NO chance against on several occasions. He was supposed to get whomped by Liddell the first time. Tito was supposed to show him he was too old to compete for the title anymore. Tim Sylvia was supposed to wreck him with superior Sprawl and Brawl. Gonzaga was supposed to be the best thing since sex and therefore rip the title away from Couture with ease. They all got upset by a 40+ year old underdog who nobody thought could fight at the highest level anymore.

Hughes and Liddell are not far behind on My list of best ever's in the UFC. The thing that poses a problem with either of them taking the spot at the top in My mind is that while they ruled their divisions respectively, they only competed in one weight class a piece. I'm not trying to take anything away from either of them, I'm just saying Couture achieved something that only BJ Penn has ever matched. He has consistently faced top competition and has turned out some of the greatest fights to date.

If anyone is overrated it's Anderson Silva. He competed at Light Heavyweight twice but the first time it was against someone who never even got close to cracking the top ten and who's only claim to fame was an eight second KO of Houston Alexander. The second time he was fed an opponent who's style was perfect for him in Forrest Griffin. So thats four "gimme" wins. I just don't buy it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 10:18 am

I don't care what the judges say, Rampage beat Griffin. If Couture was at his peak he'd lose to Brock, Machida, Anderson, Carwin and maybe Rampage. Chuck Liddell beat him 2-1 so if anything Chuck is higher on the list.
Back to top Go down
franklinfan2
Green Belt
Green Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rich Franklin duh!

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 12:58 pm

I say Hughes. A few years from now I'm sure that Anderson's, GSP's and Penn's careers will ecclipse Hughes's.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 5:47 pm

Anderson is a notch above Randy. Randy had his share of "freebes" too(as if Cote, Leites and Franklin are "easy fights" anyway) Freebes includes top ten fighters? Ya ok.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 8:53 pm

Anderson makes every fight look like a freebes.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Hughes.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 12:04 am

Actually yeah they were Freebies, since Cote suffered a freak accident before anything had a chance to really happen. Leites spent more time laying on his back and running away than he did actually trying to fight... Come on, when you punch someone in the thigh twice while of you are standing up, it's pretty obvious theres no fight left in the guy. And taking Franklin out the second time in about three minutes more than it took the first time, especially in the same fashion makes for a freebie...
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 2:28 am

Franklin is not a freebee. You my friend are ignorant.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Greatest or most dominant? Greatest would be Anderson. No losses and no real close fights. Most dominant was Hughes. The list wasn't the most impressive, but the wins speak volumes. Regardless, both categories will belong to Anderson real soon and GSP may contend on both soon as well....
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 5:12 pm

He is when his style matches up perfectly with Andersons and it shows two times. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Rich Franklin and have been for a long time. But he brought nothing new to the table the second time around, he got finished in much the same fashion the second time around, and he managed to only prolong the same result by a few minutes the second time around.
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 12:56 am

Gracie
Hughes
Anderson
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greatest UFC fighter ever?   Greatest UFC fighter ever? Empty

Back to top Go down

Greatest UFC fighter ever?
Page 1 of 1