Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return

Go down 
+3
Wolfgangsta
killerofchicken
OU
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 1:47 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
Why stay at Lightweight ?? He's already built a legacy and could become a gatekeeper if he hangs around past his sell by date.

why go to WW just to get dominated by bigger, stronger wrestlers?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 1:49 pm

I don't see BJ getting dominated unless he goes after the top four guys.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 1:52 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
This would be a good time to bring in the WEC LW division... when you look at it, there really isnt that much dept of high lvl LW's in the ufc save for the top 5 guys...

They would not figure into that top 5. UFC has tons of LW's that are as good as Henderson and Varner. Cerrone IMO would not even last.

Last edited by KingsOwn19 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 1:53 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:
This would be a good time to bring in the WEC LW division... when you look at it, there really isnt that much dept of high lvl LW's in the ufc save for the top 5 guys...

They would not figure into that top 5.
Not saying that they would, but they would create a lot of interesting matchups...
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 1:54 pm

I added more to my post. I think they would just get lost in the shuffle with guys like Stevenson and Tyson, but yeah..they are entertaining fights. Shalarus as well.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 1:55 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:

but take a guy like Hathaway. He's still pretty green, and I'd say is not ready for the truly big fights yet, but I think he could use his physical advantages, namely his reach and size, to give Penn all sorts of trouble, even at this stage.

I think it would be a common theme for Penn at the higher weight.

BJ needs to get his head on straight. That's the only thing he should be focusing on.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 1:58 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Bendo test the waters in the UFC. Put Bendo vs Guida to get a gauge on where he is.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 2:08 pm

I say he beats Guida... but thats just me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 2:11 pm

captain organic wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

but take a guy like Hathaway. He's still pretty green, and I'd say is not ready for the truly big fights yet, but I think he could use his physical advantages, namely his reach and size, to give Penn all sorts of trouble, even at this stage.

BJ needs to get his head on straight. That's the only thing he should be focusing on.

Technique overcomes size, Frankie proved that.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 2:14 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
captain organic wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Yeah but what happens when a big, strong, skilled wrestler takes you down? Maynard could very well do it to Frankie. The same could happen to BJ easy at WW.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 2:58 pm

Cerrone with more development could be a real factor in the weight class.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 2:59 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Cerrone with more development could be a real factor in the weight class.

at 155? You don't think he is more suited for 145? Last I heard he had plans of going to 145.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 3:03 pm

He's dumb for that. He's a tall guy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
captain organic wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

I thought it was more a matter of an inspired fighter beating an uninspired fighter.

Plus we can go down the list of fighters who were just to small for a weight class and needed to drop down. Let's not act like size does not play a key role in these matchup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return   BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

BJ Penn ready to jump back into gym for return
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2