Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr Empty
PostSubject: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 3:27 am

Former IBF cruiserweight champion Vassiliy Jirov (38-3-1, 32 Kos) has dropped back down to cruiser from the heavyweight division and is actively seeking a "name" opponent.

A fearsome body puncher seemingly incapable of taking a backward step, Jirov, 36, earned his reputation as a crowd favourite the hard way, by never being in a bad fight. Among others, Jirov was in the Fight of the Year against James Toney and retired then #1 heavyweight contender Joe Mesi.

Manager Ivaylo Gotzev says he has several lines in the water for Jirov. "I made contact with (top-rated cruiserweight) Danny Green's people, thinking that after the Paul Briggs debacle, he'd want a better challenge. Hopefully Danny Green, the mighty warrior from Down Under won't disappoint his fans in Australia."

Plan B, according to Gotzev, is fighting on the same show as Roy Jones Jr. and then two facing each other after that in St. Petersburg, Russia. "We've wanted Roy Jones for well over a decade. Hopefully we can bring this to reality."

Whoever Jirov ends up facing, Gotzev says he's sure the fans will be the ultimate winners. "The plan is to mix it up with a big-name fighter and make some exciting fights. No matter who Vassiliy fights, rest assured, his style is do or die and he will not disappoint. He's a proven warrior ready to return to battle. 'The Tiger' is back on the Hunt."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=30189
Back to top Go down
shakefree
White Belt
White Belt
shakefree

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:26 am

sadly,danny green has seen how anthony mundine has made a career,by choosing the path of least resistance.green used to be a fighter,but now it seems he thinks he can make enough money by having bouts against opponents with name value,but little or no serious winning prospects.coincidentally both now work at promoting their bouts,not just fighting.a sad indictment on the state of boxing'down under" now.oh for the days of fenech & kostya Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Tobe06
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Tobe06

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ali

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:39 am

In other news, Vassiliy Jirov's manager confirms he is, indeed, still alive.

Seriously - this guy hasn't been on the radar screen for like three years. What's in it for anyone to fight him now?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:49 am

Tobe06 wrote:

Seriously - this guy hasn't been on the radar screen for like three years. What's in it for anyone to fight him now?
I love Jirov. I would love to see him fight Green.
Back to top Go down
Tobe06
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Tobe06

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ali

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 11:06 am

soonermark890 wrote:
Tobe06 wrote:

I agree that's a good fight, it just seems like a pretty big risk for Green given that Jirov hasn't exactly been making headlines lately (if Green really is interested in picking low-risk, big-name opponents).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 11:22 am

Tobe06 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Tobe06 wrote:

I agree that's a good fight, it just seems like a pretty big risk for Green given that Jirov hasn't exactly been making headlines lately (if Green really is interested in picking low-risk, big-name opponents).
Very true.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 11:53 am

Put it on ESPN! Jirov vs Green
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 6:32 pm

How about he go out and beat someone first. Then worry about fighting a decent fighter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 6:42 pm

captainanddew wrote:
How about he go out and beat someone first. Then worry about fighting a decent fighter.
He is a little old to be trying to prove himself all over again. He is the ex champ so does that not carry some weight?
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 6:56 pm

1 fight since July 2007. 1 fight. Late last year against a 7-6-1 fighter. And Jirov was actually down in the fight.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 6:57 pm

captainanddew wrote:
1 fight since July 2007. 1 fight. Late last year against a 7-6-1 fighter. And Jirov was actually down in the fight.

Yeah he might want to fight a tune up then. I change my mind. You are correct sir.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 7:01 pm

I would like to see Jirov against Green. Just maybe a warm up fight and then right back to a training camp to get ready for Green would be better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 7:02 pm

captainanddew wrote:
I would like to see Jirov against Green. Just maybe a warm up fight and then right back to a training camp to get ready for Green would be better.
If he only has had one fight in 3 years he better get a tune up.
Back to top Go down
nano212
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
nano212

Favorite Fighter(s) : JMM, Rafaell Marquez, Pac and David Haye

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Please NO Roy Jones jr fight!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr   Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr Empty

Back to top Go down

Vassiliv Jirov wants Danny Green and Roy Jones Jr
Page 1 of 1