Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cotto and Stewart rate his performance

Go down 
+5
marbleheadmaui
captainanddew
dmar5143
timthebim
Mightytitan5
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mightytitan5
Mightytitan5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Paul Williams, Chad Dawson, Miguel Cotto, JMM

Cotto and Stewart rate his performance Empty
PostSubject: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 12:38 am

I definilty saw a more patient and defensive Cotto. I saw a more confident fighter. He has shown he is not on the decline. Should Emmanuel Stewart remain in Cotto's corner?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 12:41 am

I thought it was a good performance from Cotto, he used the jab well, cut off the ring and even brought back his vintage left hook. He looked strong at the weight and seems to listen and respect Steward, I think Steward has brought some fire back into his belly.

I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 12:55 am

Good performance but still needs alot of work. He should definitely have manny in his corner from now on also. Overall I give him 7 out of 10.
Back to top Go down
Mightytitan5
Mightytitan5

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 12:59 am

timthebim wrote:
Good performance but still needs alot of work. He should definitely have manny in his corner from now on also. Overall I give him 7 out of 10.

I agree Stewart is no magician. But you saw some progress. He's more patient and his ring management was great. Cotto do have habits no man can break.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:00 am

timthebim wrote:
...i agree keep stewart and yes he needs lots of work..
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:00 am

I give Manny alot of credit. He made small subtle changes.

1-Balance- You didn't see Cotto get off balance that much. His balance has seemed to get worse as his career progressed.

2-Cotto's feet- His feet seemed a little better tonight. he moved well and was not bothered by Foreman's lateral movement.

Manny did a good job helping him with the balance and foot movement.

3-Deep knee bends- I only saw a couple of those. In his last 3-4 fights, Cotto has done more and more of those. I never understood the purpose. I know Manny questioned why he was doing that in his previous fights.

4-Cotto's gloves and arm position-In his previous fights he held his hands up and you could see that his elbows were bowed outwards. It made it so that he had a nice opening up the middle for uppercuts. I didn't see that tonight.

I give Manny a 10. He just worked on some little subtle technical things in camp. And he had Cotto working behind the jab which Manny preaches to all his fighters.

Cotto- I give him an 8. Is he as fresh a fighter as he was before all the tough fights? No. But he didn't look shot. I think he can fight and beat ring ranked fighters at 147 and 154, but he needs to be matched very carefully at 154. At 147, less so.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:01 am

Mightytitan5 wrote:
I definilty saw a more patient and defensive Cotto. I saw a more confident fighter. He has shown he is not on the decline. Should Emmanuel Stewart remain in Cotto's corner?

He did what he should have done. Good performance. Hard to tell how much it means due to Foreman's lack of power. Miguel still gets hit too much.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:02 am

very strong showing from Cotto in his comeback at a new weight. Let's see what he and Manny can do together in the next fight....
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:02 am

good points captain
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:03 am

captainanddew wrote:
I give Manny alot of credit. He made small subtle changes.

1-Balance- You didn't see Cotto get off balance that much. His balance has seemed to get worse as his career progressed.

2-Cotto's feet- His feet seemed a little better tonight. he moved well and was not bothered by Foreman's lateral movement.

Manny did a good job helping him with the balance and foot movement.

3-Deep knee bends- I only saw a couple of those. In his last 3-4 fights, Cotto has done more and more of those. I never understood the purpose. I know Manny questioned why he was doing that in his previous fights.

4-Cotto's gloves and arm position-In his previous fights he held his hands up and you could see that his elbows were bowed outwards. It made it so that he had a nice opening up the middle for uppercuts. I didn't see that tonight.

I give Manny a 10. He just worked on some little subtle technical things in camp. And he had Cotto working behind the jab which Manny preaches to all his fighters.

Cotto- I give him an 8. Is he as fresh a fighter as he was before all the tough fights? No. But he didn't look shot. I think he can fight and beat ring ranked fighters at 147 and 154, but he needs to be matched very carefully at 154. At 147, less so.

Good post. Cotto against a 154 banger seems like a very bad idea to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:04 am

Maybe give Joshua Clottey a rematch at Jr Middleweight ?
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:08 am

[quote="captainanddew"]
quote]

Chad Dawson did that garbage against Road Warrior and looked like a tool. I hate that.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:08 am

They need to put Cotto in against spinks or some1 soft hitting cause his defense is face first and a true 154er with good power will KO Cotto nearly every time in my opion.
Back to top Go down
Mightytitan5
Mightytitan5

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:10 am

Ali_1748 wrote:

I will never watch a Clottey fight ever again.............
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:10 am

Ali_1748 wrote:

Would HBO accept Clottey at this point?
Back to top Go down
Mightytitan5
Mightytitan5

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:11 am

timthebim wrote:
They need to put Cotto in against spinks or some1 soft hitting cause his defense is face first and a true 154er with good power will KO Cotto nearly every time in my opion.

I totally agree but now that he's a belt holders, the mandatory BS will mess up everything
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:12 am

Totally agree with u.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:22 am

A true 154lb fighter with power will KO Cotto at this point.

I would match him carefully at 154 as he is small for the weight class and he has been through some wars over the years.

But lets be realistic and speak about the facts:
Ring rankings 154
Martinez
Cintron
Ryan Rhodes
Angulo
Sechew Powell
Foreman
Alcine
Martirosyan
Dzinkurk
Saul Alvarez

Spinks was dropped due to inactivity I believe. He'll be back in if he ever fights again and wins. PW is officially at 160 I believe. martinez may be at 160 for good.

How many of those guys beat Cotto? Martinez and PW beat Cotto. Both are bigger. martinez having been at 154 forever and looked very good at 160. PW is a freak.

After that, Dizinkurk-probably outboxes Cotto and a fight would never happen.

Cotto beats VAnes, he beats young Alvarez who isn't ready. he beats Alcine. He beats Powell. He beats Rhodes. That is 5 of the top 10. He already beat Foreman.

The interesting fights at 154-Cintron.
Cotto could outbox him but Cintron can land the big right hand (if he doesn't melt down mentally). I think Manny could come up with a great gameplan against his former fighter.

Angulo-I'm interested. Could Cotto stand up to the pressure. Can Angulo comfortably make 154? Could Cotto outbox him long enough to hold on. Could all the shots Angulo takes to land his blows start to slow him down a bit??? Lots of questions, would be interesting to get the answers.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:27 am

People need to give Cotto more respect for the way he has fought top competition.
HARDLY ANY OTHER FIGHTERS ARE DOING SO IN ANY WEIGHT CLASS!!!!

Do people realize we give credit for the Super 6 fighters for facing the other top guys at 168. Guys have 3 fights guaranteed. Then fight semis and finals. 5 fights. 20 months or so.

In 36 months:

Cotto faced Quintana, Judah, Mosley, Clottey, Margo, Pac. All ranked at 147. Most were ranked in the top 5. He already fought his super 6 at 147. He beat 4. He lost to 1 guy who was found to have loaded gloves in a later fight. And he lost to a fighter who is an all-time great and named fighter of the decade by boxing writers.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:28 am

captainanddew wrote:
A true 154lb fighter with power will KO Cotto at this point.

I would match him carefully at 154 as he is small for the weight class and he has been through some wars over the years.

But lets be realistic and speak about the facts:
Ring rankings 154
Martinez
Cintron
Ryan Rhodes
Angulo
Sechew Powell
Foreman
Alcine
Martirosyan
Dzinkurk
Saul Alvarez

Spinks was dropped due to inactivity I believe. He'll be back in if he ever fights again and wins. PW is officially at 160 I believe. martinez may be at 160 for good.

How many of those guys beat Cotto? Martinez and PW beat Cotto. Both are bigger. martinez having been at 154 forever and looked very good at 160. PW is a freak.

After that, Dizinkurk-probably outboxes Cotto and a fight would never happen.

Cotto beats VAnes, he beats young Alvarez who isn't ready. he beats Alcine. He beats Powell. He beats Rhodes. That is 5 of the top 10. He already beat Foreman.

The interesting fights at 154-Cintron.
Cotto could outbox him but Cintron can land the big right hand (if he doesn't melt down mentally). I think Manny could come up with a great gameplan against his former fighter.

Angulo-I'm interested. Could Cotto stand up to the pressure. Can Angulo comfortably make 154? Could Cotto outbox him long enough to hold on. Could all the shots Angulo takes to land his blows start to slow him down a bit??? Lots of questions, would be interesting to get the answers.

I think botth Contron and Angulo simply walk to Cotto, through Cotto and absolutely wreck him at 154. I'm not sure Sechew Powell and even Saul Alvareza don't beat him. Miguel gets hit way too much and a 154 with pop is, in my view, a recipe for disaster.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:47 am

Alvarez struggled early with Cotto's brother. I think Cotto would beat him at this point.

Sechew. I'm not enamored with him. He boxes okay. He doesn't have that much power. I'd argue that some of the guys Cotto fought at 147 hit harder than him. Plus, how does Sechew deal with the big stage.

Cintron-I think Cotto has a chance to outbox him. 60% of me agrees Cintron walks through him, but 40% says Cotto could pull it off (especially with Manny in the corner preparing to fight his former guy).

Angulo-I still would like to see that fight. He has struggled with making weight and he can be outboxed. I think it ends like Cotto vs Margacheato, but it would be worth watching.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:49 am

Cintron detests body shots, Miguel definitely has a chance to beat him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:51 am

Cotto looked much better physically than I expected. He was the much stronger than Yuri. With that said I think he's going to be in trouble when he gets tested. To me he showed a good jab, good bodywork, good footwork, and consistent pressure. Maybe a few tweaks here and there, but nothing new. He stilled got tagged with counters and at moments didn't know what to do when taking punishment. His flaws were not on display because he wasn't under fire. Yuri just wasn't strong enough or consistent enough to put Cotto in danger. Still, Cotto's a warrior, and it's good to see he has a lot left. I think he can be among the elite at whatever weight he ends chooses.

154 is getting interesting.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 2:03 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
Cintron detests body shots, Miguel definitely has a chance to beat him.

How the heck is Cotto gonna get close enough? Cintron has him by SEVEN inches of reach!
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 2:09 am

Cotto doesn't need to get close to land a body shot. Kermit is sure to just jump out of the ring.

NOTE: I do not believe that garbage that people were spewing all over message boards after the PW vs. Cintron debacle. I had to use the line though. It was set up perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cotto and Stewart rate his performance   Cotto and Stewart rate his performance Empty

Back to top Go down

Cotto and Stewart rate his performance
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next