Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight Empty
PostSubject: Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight   Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 4:22 am

Quote :
Miguel Cotto probably will have his work cut out for him against slick junior middleweight titlist Austin Trout Saturday night (Showtime, 9 ET/PT) at Madison Square Garden. But if Cotto wins and claims his fifth world title, as most expect he will, his next fight probably will be against titleholder Canelo Alvarez.

That is as big as it gets in boxing, short of the fight that probably will never happen between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

If Puerto Rico's Cotto comes through against Trout, the showdown with Alvarez, Mexico's most popular fighter, would take place May 4 -- Cinco de Mayo weekend -- on Showtime PPV.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer and Showtime Sports general manager Stephen Espinoza both acknowledge that it's the fight they hope to make, should Cotto win Saturday.

Cotto (37-3, 30 KOs) is respectful to his opponents, so he didn't want to get caught up in looking past Trout (25-0, 14 KOs), but it's clear he has his eye on Alvarez.

"If I were to fight Canelo next, everyone knows that a fight like that would stir up the great rivalry between Puerto Rican and Mexican fans," Cotto said. "It's an all-time rivalry. They also know what a Mexican fighter and a Puerto Rican fighter can do in the ring, too.

"Austin is [my opponent] Saturday night, and once I am done with that fight, I can sit back and look at my options and decide who my next fight will be against."

Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KOs), who at age 22 is 10 years younger than Cotto, was at Friday's Trout-Cotto weigh-in -- both fighters made weight (Cotto at 153.6 pounds, Trout at 154) -- and will be at Saturday's fight.

He wants Cotto next and will be watching him closely. Golden Boy already has set May 4 as the date for his next fight. Now Alvarez just has to hope Cotto wins.

"I'd love to fight Cotto," a smiling Alvarez said through a translator at the weigh-in. "I am here to see the fight and I have a lot of hope that Cotto will win. I want the honor of fighting him because he is a great fighter. He's a veteran fighter with a lot of experience. So I am looking to see the best of Miguel Cotto on Saturday night and then I want to fight him. I know that is a fight that boxing fans would like to see and it is a fight that I would like to have very much."

Alvarez-Cotto probably would take place in Las Vegas, but Alvarez said he wouldn't be opposed to fighting in New York, where Cotto is a huge draw.

"Anywhere. I will fight him anywhere," Alvarez said. "It's Mexico versus Puerto Rico, champion against champion. I know how big this fight would be."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/2524/cotto-alvarez-on-deck-if-cotto-wins
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight   Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 6:55 am

let's hope for no shenanigans then.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight   Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 3:39 am

Canelo is gonna miss out on a big name again..but Trout makes for an interesting fight unlike Lopez. We'll see if it happens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight   Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 12:51 pm

I swear Canelo is starting to become a curse for fighters, first Ortiz now Cotto.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight   Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Ali wrote:
I swear Canelo is starting to become a curse for fighters, first Ortiz now Cotto.

He needs to show up to a potential Floyd-Ghost fight saying he's got Floyd next Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight   Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 4:24 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Ali wrote:

He needs to show up to a potential Floyd-Ghost fight saying he's got Floyd next Twisted Evil

Hahah I was just thinking that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight   Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 11:26 am

I have a feeling this fight may still happen, Golden Boy have been trying to play down and gloss over Cotto's loss to Trout, and despite the way things played out I can still see this fight making money because as we know Mexico vs. Puerto Rico fights are like soccer derbys for boxing.

Quote :
"Definitely [Canelo-Cotto] is still a possibility. We will talk to Miguel and see what he wants to do. Miguel is an exciting fighter. He always gives a great show, entertaining the fans. Sure, you always want to win more than lose, but I still think that Cotto-Alvarez is a very good matching of styles and it would be a great fight," Schaefer told Jose Sanchez.

http://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-cotto-still-very-much-reality-says-schaefer--60053
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight   Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight Empty

Back to top Go down

Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo May 4th on Showtime PPV IF Cotto wins tonight
Page 1 of 1