Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico

Go down 
+4
Ring
captainanddew
NJBeatdown86
hardcoreBEE24
8 posters
AuthorMessage
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico Empty
PostSubject: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 7:26 am

By Omar Vera: WBA light-middleweight champion Miguel Cotto has said he would have no problem fighting Margarito if the money and venue was right.

Margarito recently returned to the sport after serving a year-long ban after a plaster-like substance was found in his hand wraps before his title defence against Shane Mosley on January, 2009. Margarito captured the WBA welterweight title the year before; where he dominated, the then undefeated Miguel Cotto, leaving his crimson face a swollen mess.

Considering the state of Cotto’s face, many fans looked back in retrospect and could not count out the possibility that, on that night also the Mexican may have had his gloves loaded.

On his return to the sport last month, Margarito fought on home soil at the Plaza Monumental, Aguascalientes, Mexico, against Roberto Garcia. Margarito boxed his way to a 10th round unanimous decision and captured the vacant WBC International light middleweight title.

Antonio Margarito remains popular, not only in his native Mexico but also enjoys a worldwide following due to his relentless aggression, and fan friendly style. For every fan who wishes never to see Margarito compete in a ring again the same fans, and some would tune in, intrigued by the history of both fighters. There is also the huge media attention that Margarito has received since his ban that would most likely boost the numbers, “there is no such thing as bad publicity”.

If Antonio Margarito (38-6-0, 27 KO’s) and Top Rank promoter Bob Arum want a rematch with Miguel Cotto; Puerto Rico seems the only plausible location. Margarito would find it difficult to secure a licence to box anywhere in the United States and Cotto would never agree to fight in Margarito’s native Mexico, so the only viable and realistic location would be Cotto’s native Puerto Rico.

Cotto (35-2-0, 28 KO’s) hasn’t contested a fight in his native land since he fought Oktay Urkal in 2007 at Coliseo Roberto Clemente, San Juan, Puerto Rico. The newly crowned three division champion has spoken of his desire to put on a fight back in Puerto Rico; as a way of thanking the many fans who have followed him the past decade.

“I think it’s important to give something back to the fans, to show my appreciation for everyone’s support, a fight in Puerto Rico would demonstrate my appreciation” said Cotto through translator Jose Galarza.

Cotto’s new head trainer Emanuel Steward would prefer Cotto not to fight Margarito, saying it would be taking a step back rather than forward, and stated Margarito is not deserving of another title shot. Steward said he would prefer Cotto to move back down to welterweight where he could challenge WBC champion Andre Berto in the hope of securing another showdown with Manny Pacquiao.

Ironically, Cotto’s best route to Pacquiao or Mayweather may be to hold onto his light-middleweight title until Mayweather-Pacquiao negotiations are completed and the welterweight landscape becomes a little clearer.

http://www.theboxinghistorian.com/news/010/7071-miguel-cotto.php
Back to top Go down

Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 11:17 am

This is what I don't get about Cotto. Margo probably cheated and messed up his career and he wants the fight "to give something back to the fans, to show my appreciation for everyone’s support." If he's going to take this fight, he should be out for blood. He should want payback. At the very least he should say he wants to make a statement about who the better fighter really is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 11:29 am

Gumby wrote:
This is what I don't get about Cotto. Margo probably cheated and messed up his career and he wants the fight "to give something back to the fans, to show my appreciation for everyone’s support." If he's going to take this fight, he should be out for blood. He should want payback. At the very least he should say he wants to make a statement about who the better fighter really is.
Thats what I like about Cotto he has class. He does not know for sure that Margo cheated and he will not say so or imply it. The guy is a great person.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 8:23 pm

Cotto shouldn't even bother giving this jerk a big payday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 9:15 pm

I still think Margarito is a bad match up for Cotto, he gets stronger as the fight goes on and Miguel seems to fade in the second half.

Maybe Steward will be the difference this time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:01 pm

NJBeatdown86 wrote:
Cotto shouldn't even bother giving this jerk a big payday.
I think Cotto wants to prove to himself he can beat Margo.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Is this the same Margarito that Cotto faced before? We all believe that Cotto isn't 100% the same fighter he was before that fight. But how much of that Margarito still exists?

He has been a pro for a long time (since age 15 or 16 I believe). He isn't a hard guy to hit. He takes punches to deliver punches. At a certain point a guy like that no longer has the inhuman punch resistance.
He took alot of shots against PW, Clottey, Cintron, and Cotto in fights.

He got destroyed by Mosley. Margarito looked like he was getting weaker pretty quick after taking some shots(first few rounds). He didn't appear to be getting stronger at any point in that fight.

I think the fight would be a good fight and Margarito might wilt.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:50 pm

Even though Antonio doesn't deserve it after the shit he pulled, I'd love to see Cotto-Margarito II get made. Cotto needs to get some payback.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 9:05 am

Manny Steward thinks it's a bad idea. Does he think won't win or people won't tune in? Steward prefers Cotto Berto at 147 because Berto has looked very ordinary against decent competition. Against really good competition like Cotto Berto will look like an amateur. This really boils down to who Arum want's Cotto to fight. Pacquiao sells himself now, proof was in the Clottey fight, Bob doesn't have to do as much for Pacquaio anymore. If Arum can get the public on Cotto's side and sell this as a redemption fight, we will definitely see this for the trinket at 154. This is the only option for Margarito and I'm sure Cotto will get the lion's share of the purse if these two hook up. Berto has more of a case for more money because he holds a major trinket at '47.

My Prediction: Margarito get's reinstated and he and Cotto hook up in January at 154 after Cotto defends against some bum in Sept/ Oct. Cotto punishes the shopworn (due to aggressive style and inactivity) Margarito and he never contends for anything important again.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 am

Cotto vs Margarito II

Why not

I think Cotto at 154 takes him
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 12:47 pm

If this fight happens then Cotto should get a 90/10 split of the money. I really don't want Margo in the ring in a major fight ever again. Let him keep fighting bums in front of taco stands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Margarito is just too big and strong for Cotto, Shane had to throw multiple vicious shots to wear him down, plus Margarito came into that fight having had alot of Tijuana orgies.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 2:10 pm

Margarito looked terrible at 154 vs Garcia

I think he's done, believe he cant take a punch like he used to

Cotto and Mosley fights took their toll on him

I'd take Cotto by KO
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Margarito might still be inhuman and Mosley just had the right skills. Or he took alot of punishment against top flight fighters over the years.

I would guess at the best the answer is somewhere in the middle. I don't believe the Margarito that took obscene punishment in the first Cotto fight is still there. Is there enough left to walk Cotto down as the fight wears on?? I'd venture to say yes, but I'm not sold. I want to find some clips of the fight against Garcia to tell whether he looked fresh or worse for the wear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 11:56 pm

I guarantee you Antonio will still be able to walk through Miguel's shots without much bother.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 2:15 pm

SlickMoneyXL wrote:
If this fight happens then Cotto should get a 90/10 split of the money. I really don't want Margo in the ring in a major fight ever again. Let him keep fighting bums in front of taco stands.

exactly how I feel. I was going to type the same thing before I came upon this post. 90/10 split for Cotto is the only way I want to see this fight.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Cotto was outboxing Margacheato comfortably until the loaded gloves finally busted him up towards the end of the fight. Cotto outclasses Maracheato at 154 or 147.
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny, JMM, Casamayor and Katsidis

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 4:34 pm

I see the same result.

Margarito has more to prove in this fight than Cotto.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico   Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico Empty

Back to top Go down

Cotto Margarito II? MIGUEL COTTO could face Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico
Page 1 of 1