Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Frank Mir to 205?

Go down 
+11
timthebim
Andrew the Raider King
Wolfgangsta
Bigs03
LA
bobbitt15
ohiovol62
Birdofthad
NoRegret
Farmer1906
oggy420
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 8:11 pm

Very good points Wolf although I do think LHW is still alittle more deep than HW. Neither is weak or hurting for contenders right now though.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Ur streching it to Duffee now? LOL

Lil Nog is still solid

Machida is still there

Bones

Bader

Page ain't going anywhere and is a former Champ

Rashad of course

But then lets look outside that and you have way more guys who could potentially make a run.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 8:28 pm

Yeah LHW is more deep LA, but I think Wolf is right HW has some contenders also.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Mir is in the top 10 HW because the division is weak. if Mir can cut to 205 then he doesn't sniff the top 10. Shogun, Machida, Rampage, Rashad, Forrest, Nog, Mousasi, Mo, Nog, Couture, Jones, Badar, Anderson, Thiago, and Franklin all beat Mir.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Mir va Bones

who ya guys taking
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Yes but fewer, and the point was that you shouldn't kill one by pitting them against eachother like Cain vs. Jr
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
Mir va Bones

who ya guys taking

Bones 1st rd TKO via elbow stikes
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 8:38 pm

My point was 1 of them should fight Mir.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 8:41 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Mir is in the top 10 HW because the division is weak. if Mir can cut to 205 then he doesn't sniff the top 10. Shogun, Machida, Rampage, Rashad, Forrest, Nog, Mousasi, Mo, Nog, Couture, Jones, Badar, Anderson, Thiago, and Franklin all beat Mir.

I know Mir would have to cut the weight first, but vs Franklin he would have a big size adv. I don't think Thiago or even little nog is a gimme vs Mir. Couture too. But again, hard to judge cause who knows how Mir looks after a massive weight cut.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 8:46 pm

The striking and the speed at 205 would be too much for Mir. Plus he'd gas when these smaller guys push the pace.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 8:47 pm

LA I knew of everyone you'd be the first to LOM OMG DUFFEE. He was absolutely ruining Russow but went to that same combination one too many times. Learning experience. He'll be back. HW has more rising contenders. Most of the LHW division is on the downslide. Who knows what that division will look like in two years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 8:48 pm

I actually believe in Duffee it's that you said that which surprised me, still he way back right now.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Everyone is blinded by their Mir hate. The fact of the matter is, we've only seen him struggle against guys who are much bigger and stronger than him...or when he's recovering from a horrific motorcycle accident. Other than that he has looked great and even outstruck guys who supposedly have much better striking than him.

He's underrated because most people hate him and label him a douche.

We hardly see submissions in any weight class these days because everyone has good sub defense. It's only the slickest of BJJ guys who pull off subs these days and Frank Mir can be put on that list as far as MMA is concerned. He might not win grappling tourneys but in the realm of MMA he knows how to use BJJ and he knows how to finish.

At LHW, and again I'm not sure it's possible for him, he would have a nice size advantage and he would presumably be stronger than most of his opponents. If he could make the cut I would like to see it. Hell, maybe his gas tank would be better if he cut the weight.

But whatever, I'm sure no one will listen to reason, just continue hating him because he's confident and likes to run his mouth.

Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 Frank+mir

Screw you guys!
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Who has Mir sub'd? Who? Lesnar and poopy and a half unconcsious Kongo.

Before the accident he looked like balls in fights with guys like Wes Sims. Frank Mir before his accident was the most overrated and worst of all the UFC HW champions ever. If you can really call him a legitimate HW titlist. He has never beaten a lineal champ, only won interm titles.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:27 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Who has Mir sub'd? Who? Lesnar and poopy and a half unconcsious Kongo.

Before the accident he looked like balls in fights with guys like Wes Sims. Frank Mir before his accident was the most overrated and worst of all the UFC HW champions ever. If you can really call him a legitimate HW titlist. He has never beaten a lineal champ, only won interm titles.

I'm not gonna go look at his sherdog page and list the people he's subbed, you can do that yourself.

On a separate note, and this isn't meant to be a shot at you really, just a painfully obvious observation. You, Wolf, are a MAJOR bandwagoner.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Ya, because I never criticized Mir before right? Like, what the fuck?
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Ya, because I never criticized Mir before right? Like, what the fuck?

No, it's just that after every title fight you're all over the winner, like the dude can never lose again. Just an observation man.

As far as Mir, after he beat Nog and Kongo you were getting behind him a bit, then he loses to yet another monster and now you're acting like Mir blows again. Whatever, I was just making an observation.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:31 pm

I just think it goes down like this

Instead of being overpowered he'd be completely outclassed

He wouldn't be quicker

He wouldn't be more athletic

He wouldn't be as skilled a stiker

He wouldn't have a big BJJ advantage like you think

He's never had a good shot

Most of his fights would look like his fight against Vera
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:33 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:

He wouldn't be quicker

Like his fight against Vera??? Come on, he was coming off a horrible injury and obviously wasn't himself. He would take a shit on Vera's face now.

Last edited by Bigs03 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:33 pm

I'm probably the most anti-band wagon person on this entire website. I don't know that my favorite fighter list has changed significantly in five years aside from the addition of Machida(back when the entire world hated him) Now I'm sure you'll point to the Rua posts I made after he KO'd Machida and you got me there, but I was a Rua fan long before I even knew who Machida was.

Unless you think new or changed opinions on fighters is bandwagonning after they win/lose fights and show new/deteriorated skills. Are AP voters band wagonners after they vote the a new team number 1 who beat the former number 1 ranked team?
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:35 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
I'm probably the most anti-band wagon person on this entire website. I don't know that my favorite fighter list has changed significantly in five years aside from the addition of Machida(back when the entire world hated him) Now I'm sure you'll point to the Rua posts I made after he KO'd Machida and you got me there, but I was a Rua fan long before I even knew who Machida was.

Unless you think new or changed opinions on fighters is bandwagonning after they win/lose fights and show new/deteriorated skills. Are AP voters band wagonners after they vote the a new team number 1 who beat the former number 1 ranked team?

Maybe it's just the Machida thing before he lost to Rua and the Rua hugging. Whatever.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:36 pm

Again, everyone hates Mir for some reason so they don't like him or want to see him succeed.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:36 pm

Well, Mir showed awesome striking in flattening Kongo, but then showed a complete lapse in clinch defense and strategy with Carwin. Mir is a puzzle actually Bigs. No idea what to make of him.

I think I over valued him after the Kongo fight. I thought the new improved hard hitting good kickboxing muscle Mir was really coming around. Then he gets embarrassed by Shane and now has completely turned an about face and wants to drop 65+ fucking pounds. Ya, I turned my back back on him. At worst I was right all along.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Bigs03 wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:

He wouldn't be quicker

Like his fight against Vera??? Come on, he was coming off a horrible injury and obviously wasn't himself. He would take a shit on Vera's face now.

I'm saying his fights would go down like that get picked apart and finished by more talented strikers, fights are very different at LHW then HW, he'd be slower and less athletic than almost everyone.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:39 pm

I like fighters that show heart, improve their games, and win. Rashad gained a lot of cred with me after his awesome performance against Rashad. But I think Koscheck's fight against Alves is what made me adopt him.

I typically hate fighters earlier in their careers and later become a fan once they prove their worth in one way or another, win or lose. I used to hate Kimbo, Koscheck, Diego, Penn ect.

I think the one guy I've never joined the band wagon is Lesnar. I jumped the fuck off the Hughes band wagon a while ago too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frank Mir to 205?   Frank Mir to 205? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Frank Mir to 205?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next