Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What is next for Frank Mir?

Go down 
+9
Cu Bu
LA
discovery99
Andrew the Raider King
Wolfgangsta
Bigs03
KingsOwn19
acccardinal12
Skyab23
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Skyab23
White Belt
White Belt
Skyab23

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor, GSP, Nog

What is next for Frank Mir? Empty
PostSubject: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:22 am

I know that UFC 111 has just finished and we're all still digesting what has happened...but I can't help but ask myself: Where does Frank Mir go from here? He is obviously still one of the best heavyweights in the world, however, who will his next opponent be? I myself, would like to see Junior Dos Santos fight him next, so we can see how JDS does against an elite heavyweight, but then that leaves one more question: What does Cain Valesquez do from here? Does he sit it out and fight the winner of the Carwin/Lesnar match? That could be a very long time to sit out waiting on a fight. What do you fellas think about the heavyweight landscape now?
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:26 am

Has to be Cain or JDS?
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:27 am

Cain plays the waiting game i suppose, he already got his fight with a top heavy in Nog. It's time JDS gets a chance to prove himself against somebody like Mir. If Cain gets the fight JDS is the odd man out again and gets another fight against a non top 10 HW.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:31 am

I think giving JDS a shot at Mir would be a good choice. After tonight I'm not sure Mir will ever beat Carwin or Lesnar. I don't know what he was thinking just letting Carwin hold him against the cage like that. Obviously Carwin is strong but it didn't even look like Mir was trying to get to a better position. I think he was just trying to wait for the ref to break them up and once Carwin realized that he let his hands fly.

I think we will see Mir in the HW title picture again soon. It all depends on how he decides to bounce back from this loss. He's still got a ton of talent and the newly added size should help him rebound from the loss nicely.
Back to top Go down
Skyab23
White Belt
White Belt
Skyab23

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:33 am

So with you saying that Bigs, does that mean that you have Carwin ranked as the third best heavyweight in the division behind only Fedor and Brock?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:34 am

Junior Dos Santos to avenge his master.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:34 am

JDS seems like a good choice, but Nelson should he win is another great option. Especially since there is some back story from when Nelson beat him in that infamous grapplers quest match.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:35 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
JDS seems like a good choice, but Nelson should he win is another great option. Especially since there is some back story from when Nelson beat him in that infamous grapplers quest match.

Good call Wolfy , I forgot about the history between the two.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:38 am

If the fucker can't do better than that? Retire and do commentary.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:41 am

Skyab23 wrote:
So with you saying that Bigs, does that mean that you have Carwin ranked as the third best heavyweight in the division behind only Fedor and Brock?

Certainly not skillwise. I think Carwin has to be ranked in the top 10 for sure but I wouldn't have him number 3 in the world.
Back to top Go down
discovery99
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
discovery99

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ Penn

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:43 am

Right now Mir is probably on suicide watch. Did he even have a game plan for this fight? I bet he prepared more for the post fight confrontation with Brock than he did for the fight with Carwin.

JDS makes a lot of sense to me. The only question is what will Mir do after he gets destroyed by a smaller HW? I mean really... he has to retire after that, right?
Back to top Go down
Skyab23
White Belt
White Belt
Skyab23

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:45 am

I understand, but when I tend to compare these guys against one another as far as how they would fare in a matchup with the other, and I don't see JDS or Cain being able to do much against Carwin, and while JDS and Cain's standup games are better than Carwin's...he'll just bully them up against that cage or he'll wrestle them to the ground and ground and pound them into oblivion.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:46 am

discovery99 wrote:
Right now Mir is probably on suicide watch. Did he even have a game plan for this fight? I bet he prepared more for the post fight confrontation with Brock than he did for the fight with Carwin.

JDS makes a lot of sense to me. The only question is what will Mir do after he gets destroyed by a smaller HW? I mean really... he has to retire after that, right?

I think there is an element of Frank looking past Carwin because of his unhealthy obsession with a threematch against Brock. He needs to focus on the task at hand and I agree, his gameplan was nonexistant. He seemed more than content with his back against the cage. I was giving him great advice from my couch but the fucker wouldn't listen.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:47 am

Skyab23 wrote:
I understand, but when I tend to compare these guys against one another as far as how they would fare in a matchup with the other, and I don't see JDS or Cain being able to do much against Carwin, and while JDS and Cain's standup games are better than Carwin's...he'll just bully them up against that cage or he'll wrestle them to the ground and ground and pound them into oblivion.

I don't see JDS having much of a chance against Carwin or Lesnar, however, Cain can outwork them. His pace is insane and I think he can pose a threat to either guy. If not now, maybe a year or two down the road when they're on their last leg as an MMA fighter.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:49 am

I'll admit, i mistook Frank Mir's blank stare as focus...but no doubt it was complacency.

Very disappointed in Frank but not taking anything away from Carwin.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 2:19 am

Dana's not gonna give Mir Dos Santos, he loves Mir, he doesn't want to risk him going 1-3 in his last 4, at least that's what I'd think

Mir vs. Roy is he beats Struve
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 2:19 am

When Dana loves fighters, he gives them tough fights that keep their name in the title picture.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 2:21 am

Then he gets smart to try and save them, Chuck, Randy, Hughes, .........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 2:29 am

Did anyone notice how gutted Dana was standing next to Brock ? You could tell Brock was loving every moment of it.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 2:30 am

Frank is 30 and isn't on the decline, not the same.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 2:33 am

I dont see dana giving Mir any of these guys next-brock,cain,jds,carwin. So yeah a step down IMO maybe a big one since I think there is a big drop after the top 5
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 2:35 am

Mir is still a top guy and should stay in top ten fights. A Nog rematch might be worth having. However, I also think Gonzaga might also be a decent fight for him, and so would Roy Nelson.

Last edited by Wolfgangsta on Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 2:48 am

James Toney anyone :-)
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 3:22 am

If Roy gets by Struve then he is my guy for Mir. Why not.
Big Nog rematch, could be a possibility.
Cain or JDS is a good bet though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 11:04 am

Everyone who thought Mur was back when he shit canned Kongo can rest assured. Beating up a midlevel guy does not mean you're back. I called it. All them steroids can't make up for that weak chin. Give him JDS. I love seeing Mur getting beat up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is next for Frank Mir?   What is next for Frank Mir? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is next for Frank Mir?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next