Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?

Go down 
+7
oggy420
acccardinal12
Birdofthad
Ludo
Bigs03
NoRegret
Farmer1906
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptySun May 30, 2010 8:56 pm

It still drive me nuts that we can't get 5 round fights for major fights that don't involve the belt. I feel we would have had 10x the chance to get a finish and a more decision winner.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptySun May 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Why? So Rampage could get pressed up against the cage some more? No thanks.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptySun May 30, 2010 10:03 pm

Definitely.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 12:52 am

two extra rounds wouldn't have made a difference last night. Rampage had his chance and didn't take advantage of it. Rashad wouldn't have given him another chance if he had seven more rounds.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 4:54 am

hell ya i wish it was 5
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 5:23 am

Yeah I think it's time they made main events five rounders.

Page would have got ground and pounded if it went another two.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 9:14 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
Yeah I think it's time they made main events five rounders.

Page would have got ground and pounded if it went another two.

Thats what I wanted to see. Maybe Shad could have actually inflicted a little damage so he could have won the fight not just the decision. Or maybe Rampage would finally go off instead of throwing 2-4 punches a round.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 9:52 am

Every UFC PPV main event should be 5 rounds.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 10:10 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
Every UFC PPV main event should be 5 rounds.

YES
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 1:16 pm

It went by fast for sure. Maybe because I was shitfaced
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 1:18 pm

i agree every ufc main event ppv should be 5 rounds. Or at least get it started by doing the number 1 contender thing in which this fight still should have went 5 rounds.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 1:26 pm

oggy420 wrote:
i agree every ufc main event ppv should be 5 rounds. Or at least get it started by doing the number 1 contender thing in which this fight still should have went 5 rounds.

The problem with that is there aren't enough number one contender fights known about that far in advance. Even Rashad/Rampage wasn't "officially" for the title until about 2-3 weeks before hand. Training for five rounds is different than training for three.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 1:41 pm

Main events should only be 5 rounds if title fights become 7 or more. They call them championship rounds for a reason and not for guys who are not fighting for the championship.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 6:55 pm

I thought the fight was pretty good so yes I was wanting 5 rounds. Im still on the fence about 5 rounds for all main events though.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:05 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Main events should only be 5 rounds if title fights become 7 or more. They call them championship rounds for a reason and not for guys who are not fighting for the championship.

the "championship rds" have roots deeply set in boxing, and in that sport we see non title bouts go the same 12 rds distance as title bouts.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:10 pm

No, because they call in championship rounds for a reason. Also, the UFC would then be locked into title fights and eliminators when for many valid reasons that might not be the best option from a promotional standpoint. This way title PPVs would have to be planned out months and months and months before hand. This makes no sense from a promotional perspective. Injuries, unpopular decisions, bad performances and hot prospects out of the blue make this not possible, or maybe a better phrase, less profitable. Will never happen as long as the UFC wants to sell PPVs.

Also, I don't want to see fighters who aren't the best in title fights. The fight, save for the third round knockdown, wasn't that competitive anyway. I mean, to see Rashad prove the point and hammer a gassed Rampage's face into the cage might have been nice sure but...

Also, what is all this complaining about Rashad doing no damage? When was the last time we saw Rampage that hurt from a single blow? Other than Jardine after a nut shot has anyone in the UFC even rocked him? Rashad also got some good licks in late in the fight. It is kind of MMA fan negative-stereotypy to me to fault a guy for not wading into the pocket and throwing blows with Quinton Jackson, or to fault a guy for not being able to effectively posture up or deliver much GnP when he is half the size and strength of his opponent, who is known for his wrestling defense.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:13 pm

min event PPVs should be 5 rounders
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:19 pm

There doesn't seem to be any reason to do this other than to make some fans happier about watching 10 more minutes of fighting.

I think a better option would be to absorb the WEC, stop giving champions stints on TUF and open a 125 pound division. This would mean more five round fights on PPV cards, which is what we really want.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:22 pm

I honestly think they need to make the fights longer, most fights be 3 rounders, main events 5, and championship fights 7, 5 minute rounds.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:27 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
There doesn't seem to be any reason to do this other than to make some fans happier about watching 10 more minutes of fighting.

I think a better option would be to absorb the WEC, stop giving champions stints on TUF and open a 125 pound division. This would mean more five round fights on PPV cards, which is what we really want.

Well yeah, that would be the point, and a very worthwhile reason.

another reason is that giving 5 rd fights in non title fights prepares those fighters for an eventual 5 round fight.

Again I'll point back to boxing(where both title and non title fights see the championship rds) in that sport, the distance of fights extend deeper and deeper as a fighters career advances. Typically starting at 4, progressing to 8, then 10, then 12. MMA, who has borrowed the phrase "championship rds" from boxing, starts their fighters at 3, and never progesses deeper until they get into a title fight.

Im not all for every main event going 5, especially a fight night, or a versus card, but why not certain fights featuring former title holders or a clear cut title eliminator?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:34 pm

"Legends Matches" shouldn't be headliners anyway. There aren't that many clear cut title eliminators and the UFC would have to restructure their whole PPV model to make that work. We're wasting our breath, this is as likely to happen as soccer kicks in the UFC.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:37 pm

captain organic wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

Well yeah, that would be the point, and a very worthwhile reason.

another reason is that giving 5 rd fights in non title fights prepares those fighters for an eventual 5 round fight.

Again I'll point back to boxing(where both title and non title fights see the championship rds) in that sport, the distance of fights extend deeper and deeper as a fighters career advances. Typically starting at 4, progressing to 8, then 10, then 12. MMA, who has borrowed the phrase "championship rds" from boxing, starts their fighters at 3, and never progesses deeper until they get into a title fight.

Im not all for every main event going 5, especially a fight night, or a versus card, but why not certain fights featuring former title holders or a clear cut title eliminator?

Because the more sophisticated the plumbing the easier it is to clog the drain.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 8:42 pm

I just want more fighting between the best fighters and hopefully more finishes. I hate decisions when so much of judging personal preference. Some don't score leg kicks some score movement some over scoring laying on top etc. While I clearly saw this one for Rashad, I would have liked to see more instead of seeing Cane getting KOd on the undercard. While that KO was nice, it was between guys that aren't in Page and Shad's league.

Just think about Hendo v Franklin, Franklin v Wand, Wand v Bisping, Wand v Chuck, Hughes v Serra, Couture v Vera, Griffin v Bonnar, Couture v Nog, Shad v Tito, Sonnen v Nate with another round or two. These good fights could be ever better. Just think how divisions and careers would be different.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 8:47 pm

I had seen more then enough of Hughes vs Serra, and Randy vs Vera. Griffin vs Bonnar one seems like a very odd example being as how it was a tuf finale. Meanwhile fights like Couture vs Nog and Chael vs Nate, imo, had run their course.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 8:59 pm

I wanted Couture and Nate to have the chance to turn it around and let loose or get finished. How much more impressive would it have been for Nog to sub Couture? Nate was suppose to be getting a title shot. Maybe a round or two more would have been enough for him to realize what Sonnen was doing and go for the KO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?   Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone wish last night's main event was 5 rounds?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next