Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So long Scott Smith!

Go down 
+10
MikeyLikesIt
Birdofthad
Ludo
muayjitsu
KingsOwn19
GDPofDRC
Wolfgangsta
Farmer1906
bobbitt15
acccardinal12
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:13 pm

LudoCain wrote:
Actually it wasn't Wikipedia it was Sherdog. It's called research. I tend to research something before I open my mouth about it if I don't know for an absolute fact what I'm talking about instead of looking like an idiot making blanket statements that are wholly untrue.

Scrubs or not if your 7 opponents have 3 times as many submission victories than KO victories then you have faced guys with some semblance(most of them anyway) of a ground game.

He has a point here muay. Besides Frank felt Cung's awesomeness when he went for a takedown a few times in the fight and stopped trying so he started with the head games. It didn't work just like in the Diaz fight. Only guys named Baroni fall for that.

Last edited by bigbeastcardinal12 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Except Cung didn't beat Jeremy Horn. He beat Jason Von Flue and Frank Shamrock...
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:14 pm

muayjitsu wrote:
WTF!!!

SHHHH I was gonna tell everyone soon anyways.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:18 pm

LudoCain wrote:
Except Cung didn't beat Jeremy Horn. He beat Jason Von Flue and Frank Shamrock...

Since frank has come back he has subbed how many people???? If he beats someone like hhmmmm shields or diaz(who are both WW) that would be worth mentioning. which in those fights he gets owned!
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:31 pm

Doesn't matter how many people he subbed since he came back(1). Fact of the matter is he has more Submission victories than KO victories, as does Von Flue, and Sam Morgan, Brian Warren, and Tony Fryklund. Just because Frank Shamrock wasn't the same fighter when he came back doesn't mean he wasn't the prototype for the modern mixed martial artist with a fully versed ground game and above average standup skill.

As far as him saying he wanted to stand with Cung to prove something. He also says Nick Diaz' punches don't hurt, they just rattle your brain.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:38 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:
muayjitsu wrote:
Frank said himself he went in there trying to prove a point and stand with him. So an over the hill Shamrock is a worthy opponent...yeah right. Jason Von Flue LOL!!!! No really seriously Jason Von Flue. You Fail.

and Frank knocks Cung out if the hand aint broke

Frank wouldn't have got the chance if Cung wasn't playing with him for two rounds like he did with Smith. I hope Cung has learned his lesson and starts KOing people like he used too...with boxing gloves on. Cung would have won in K-1 whatever muay. The dude is for real.

disagree, in your own words, Cung was fooling around and he was still starting to gas
I really think Frank had a shot at winning without the hand, I loved when Frank was on his back and was like want to come down here, no ok, and stood up.

Frank that beat Baroni beats Cung IMO, I was never very high on Cung though so take my opinion for what its worth, like watching him though
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:39 pm

Ludo none of those guys are sub experts man. I don't want to keep going back and forth anymore so I am done with this. Do you think he would be able to beat a REAL grappler? You know Diaz, Shields, Hendo, Jacare.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:41 pm

muayjitsu wrote:
LudoCain wrote:

Since frank has come back he has subbed how many people???? If he beats someone like hhmmmm shields or diaz(who are both WW) that would be worth mentioning. which in those fights he gets owned!

Franks so fr past his prime its sad, I hope people dont think that Diaz would have beat a prime Frank
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:49 pm

and Cung is a 38 year old kickboxer who was undefeated there and in MMA until Scott Smith did what Scott Smith does. Be that as it may he's got some of the best Striking in all of MMA as far as it goes. His kicks are lethal, his footwork is crisp, and he will make you pay for each and every telegraphed shot. Even if you COULD match him with a grappler who's to say he doesn't throw kicks to the body and legs that don't knock every bit of cardio out of a man before he can corner Cung and take him down?
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:50 pm

muayjitsu wrote:
Ludo none of those guys are sub experts man. I don't want to keep going back and forth anymore so I am done with this. Do you think he would be able to beat a REAL grappler? You know Diaz, Shields, Hendo, Jacare.

Diaz yes, Sheilds would grab Cung and hump him and hold him for a win if he didn't get ko'd, Hendo-no, Jacare could go either way. I think Hendo could beat Cung before Anderson Silva could for real. Silva would strike with him imo and that is the only reason I say that. I could see Silva koing Cung also.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:51 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
muayjitsu wrote:
LudoCain wrote:

Franks so fr past his prime its sad, I hope people dont think that Diaz would have beat a prime Frank

Diaz now would beat a prime Frank imo. Diaz is no slouch now.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:52 pm

LudoCain wrote:
and Cung is a 38 year old kickboxer who was undefeated there and in MMA until Scott Smith did what Scott Smith does. Be that as it may he's got some of the best Striking in all of MMA as far as it goes. His kicks are lethal, his footwork is crisp, and he will make you pay for each and every telegraphed shot. Even if you COULD match him with a grappler who's to say he doesn't throw kicks to the body and legs that don't knock every bit of cardio out of a man before he can corner Cung and take him down?

Not to mention Cung's judo is top notch and he just tosses guys bigger than him for fun.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:54 pm

Cung's biggest problem is he likes to showboat. That is it. He has freakish strength and I only think a bigger MW wrestler like Hendo would be the guy to beat him. I have said that forever though.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:02 am

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
muayjitsu wrote:
Your really high on cung BBC. I can tell your a fan so I will consider what you say a bit bias.

You are my leading canidate for the smartest poster on this board muay. For real. I don't know how old you are, but I might call you daddy instead of confucius

haha really?
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:06 am

Frank has high level games in both striking and submissions. It's his body that is the question.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 3:54 am

LudoCain wrote:
Jason Von Flue...
Frank Shamrock...

Fail

Nothing to do with shit but Jason Von Flue is gonna be announcer/face guy at a amateur MMA event I might go to tomorrow. His little brother is in one of the main events, his nickname is 'baby', I already don't like it. They are having a couple of 4 man grand prix's though but if I can't get a free ticket I'm not going. $30 for 16 amateur fights is asking for a lot.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
MikeyLikesIt
White Belt
White Belt

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 7:46 am

Wow people are on the Cung Le train again? LOL. Melvin vs Le?!? Do you want Le to end up in a body bag? Don't talk stupid, Le is garbage and a middle of the road fighter.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Le is only a middle of the road fighter for the same reason that would keep Melvin a middle of the road fighter - suspect ground game.

He is one of the best pure strikers in all of MMA.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:06 pm

Le is a great striker but he would get wrecked by Melvin IMO
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:08 pm

I would laugh my ass off if Smith takes another beating only to land another hail mary for the win.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Manhoef's once legendary chin is a bit of a question since last year though. Le hits from angles an aggressive open fighter like Manhoef may not see coming. This is a very compelling match up.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Manhoef's once legendary chin is a bit of a question since last year though. Le hits from angles an aggressive open fighter like Manhoef may not see coming. This is a very compelling match up.

I agree. As soon as I saw GDP say that I wanted this fight bad. I hope SF makes it happen. Both guys are coming off of a loss so there is a good chance it could.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:52 pm

It would be a reward for the fans. SF might look at it differently though. They probably think they can still milk out some good from having Le be a winner on TV. As far as bay area MMA goes he is a strong draw for ticket sales also. A Smith rematch might give his best chance to get a win back more so than Melvin who has the potential to violently crush people. If he got damaged up by Melvin, Le becomes drastically more deflated.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 2:07 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
It would be a reward for the fans. SF might look at it differently though. They probably think they can still milk out some good from having Le be a winner on TV. As far as bay area MMA goes he is a strong draw for ticket sales also. A Smith rematch might give his best chance to get a win back more so than Melvin who has the potential to violently crush people. If he got damaged up by Melvin, Le becomes drastically more deflated.

I agree 100%
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 2:17 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
I would laugh my ass off if Smith takes another beating only to land another hail mary for the win.

I would love that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So long Scott Smith!   So long Scott Smith! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

So long Scott Smith!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next