Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?

Go down 
+5
captainanddew
Diego408
kbyte
marbleheadmaui
SlickMoneyXL
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? Empty
PostSubject: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 11:33 am

There isn't really a front runner for the award yet, I'd probably lean towards Sergio Martinez if he was to beat Paul Williams in November.

Honorable mention to Fernando Montiel for dethroning Hozumi Hasegawa and possible defeating Nonito Donaire in December/November.
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:39 pm

If Pascal beats Hopkins or Bute later this year he'd be in the running.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Good call Slick.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:46 pm

[scrathing head]

So far this year I'd say Montiel is in the lead. He's got one great one and two good ones. If he beats a ranked guy before the end of the year I think it's him.

Everyone else is going to have at most two wins.
Back to top Go down
kbyte
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
kbyte

Favorite Fighter(s) : Oscar De la Hoya, Ricky Hatton

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:50 pm

I also think it'll be Martinez if he beats Williams.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Allan Green anyone?

But seriously. How about Andre Ward or Adamek? Both guys have done very well this year.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 1:27 pm

If Montiel takes out Doniare, he takes fighter of the year hands down IMO. Hasegawa the #1 fighter in the toughest division in boxing before being knocked out by Montiel himslef and then getting a victory over the Doniare the current #4 P4P fighter in the world does it for me.

Martinez is up there. He took the Lineal title from KP and a Victory over Williams is just as impressive. I wouldnt have a problem if he is a awarded fighter of the year anyhow. Montiel and Martinez are both worthy.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 7:56 pm

Montiel is my clear cut leader at this point
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 8:41 pm

I think it will be Ward with 3 solid wins, including the upset of Kessler.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 9:19 pm

Canvas wrote:
I think it will be Ward with 3 solid wins, including the upset of Kessler.
i agree. if ward beats dirrell then he beat 3 ranked fighters at SMW. but montiel definitely has a great arguement.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Only one problem. Didn't Ward face Kessler in 2009?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 10:14 pm

My vote would be for Ward. BUT What about Ademek? He has moved up from crusier to become a legit challanger at HW. He beat Estrada, Arreola, and Grant. I know that doesnt impress you guys but its not bad.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 11:18 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Only one problem. Didn't Ward face Kessler in 2009?
dang it! you are right.

im going with montiel then if he beats donaire
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 1:08 am

Did Ward fight Kessler in 09 ? that is pathetic that there was that long of a layoff between his first and second fight of the tournament. He fought Green in june! And now he's delaying the Dirrell fight.

Even in a tournament with a pre agreed master contract these guys can't stay reasonably active.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 8:16 am

Ok lets break down the candidates.

Sergio Martinez - Defeats Kelly Pavlik to capture the Middleweight championship then possibly defends and defeats Paul Williams in a rematch. That's two high profile victories and a lineal belt.

Fernando Montiel
- Starts off the year by defending his WBO Bantamweight trinket against Cisco Morales with a first round stoppage. Then in April Fernando crushes main man at Bantamweight in Hozumi Hasegawa who had been the WBC trinket holder for five years(
defended it eleven times), so he's now unified two Bantamweight trinkets and also broke Hasegawa's jaw. Now in July he defended both titles by blowing away Rafael Concepcion in three rounds with devastating hooks. As of now he's rumored to be possibly facing former Super Flyweight unified belt holder Cristian Mijares or former title holder Alex Munoz in September, both men will be above their best weight classes but are still good names to have on your resume. And to top it all off Top Rank wants Montiel to face Nonito Donaire this November or December, Donaire is a current pound for pound entree and a Super Flyweight belt holder, If Montiel defeats him he'll crash everybody's pound for pound list.

I was going to break down the other candidates but after looking at Montiel's possible 2010 schedule he should easily walk away with the honor, if he's successful of course Smile
Back to top Go down
dbudge87
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 8:51 am

Brian Magee...
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 12:25 pm

Montiel is building a resume to be admired.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 12:40 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Montiel is building a resume to be admired.

I never realized how impressive Montiel's year could be until I broke it down. Morales,Concepcion,Mijares/Munoz and Nonito Donaire, that's majestic.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 2:03 pm

i have always thought that montiel was a great fighter but after his loss to gonzales it seemed like i didnt hear much about him anymore. i guess that he is still going strong.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 9:16 am

If Montiel beats Donaire, he'd be a front runner

Martinez could win if he beats P-Dub

Can't really give it to Adamek, but he certainly gets an honorable mention.

Pascal could get in there with another big win (B-Hop, Bute)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 10:11 am

NJBeatdown86 wrote:
If Montiel beats Donaire, he'd be a front runner

Martinez could win if he beats P-Dub

Can't really give it to Adamek, but he certainly gets an honorable mention.

Pascal could get in there with another big win (B-Hop, Bute)
SM could be the guy if he beats P-Dub. Who else would have as big of wins as Pav and PW?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?   Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who will be 2010's fighter of the year ?
Page 1 of 1