Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght Empty
PostSubject: My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght   My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 12:29 am

the one about Tyson and Douglas

I heard nothing but great things about it, went to Half Price Books read the first 2 chapters and said I cant buy this

I was really turned off by the writer saying Mike tyson was the heavyweight Champion and Michael Spinks wasnt going into that fight

calling Spinks the "challenger" and shit like taht i was just like what is this guy talking about
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght   My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks for the review, Bird. I wouldn't buy it because I never believed in the premise. We'll have other goliaths get knocked out by 45-1 underdogs. It happens all the time. Invincible Slugger vs. Fearless Boxer? Boxer wins 9 out of ten times. Happens in every era.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght   My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 12:25 pm

4445Frank wrote:
Thanks for the review, Bird. I wouldn't buy it because I never believed in the premise. We'll have other goliaths get knocked out by 45-1 underdogs. It happens all the time. Invincible Slugger vs. Fearless Boxer? Boxer wins 9 out of ten times. Happens in every era.

The premise has nothing to do with the upset. The premise is that the sport forever lost its way in the minds of sports fans with the demise of Tyson. All the things we routinely complain about now with regard to promotion, straps etc. came to the fore after that night.

It's a terriffic read and worth the time. Just because it is imperfect doesn't make it bad.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght   My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Well, I never read the book. That's what it looked like to me. Yours (Marble) is the first review I ever read on it. Now, I'll tell you a great read. Jack Newfield's book on Don King. I forgot the name. The book was so disturbing, I gave it to a friend after reading it. It basically exposes him as everything you suspect he is however the depth of his evil was deeper than I ever thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght   My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 12:57 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
4445Frank wrote:

The premise has nothing to do with the upset. The premise is that the sport forever lost its way in the minds of sports fans with the demise of Tyson. All the things we routinely complain about now with regard to promotion, straps etc. came to the fore after that night.

It's a terriffic read and worth the time. Just because it is imperfect doesn't make it bad.
Sounds like a bad premise to me.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght   My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 3:02 pm

THe Lifa and Crimes of Don King

bet thats the book your talking about frank
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght   My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Yep, that's it Bird
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght   My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 4:15 pm

thought it wasa a pretty sad read surprised no one has killed him by now
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght   My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 4:29 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
4445Frank wrote:

Sounds like a bad premise to me.

I dunno, sometime between Marvin Hagler and Roy Jones things really did change in the game.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght   My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 4:30 pm

i agree wtih that marble but also i mean, boxing was down until Tyson came back all the sport needs is another whack job to grab the average joes attention
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght   My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 4:30 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
THe Lifa and Crimes of Don King

bet thats the book your talking about frank

Ya gotta hate the guy and yet he is SO smart and so out front with his corruption and so charming/jesterish that there are things to admire...or at least stand in fear of.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght   My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 4:31 pm

agree Marble the dude beat em all FBI IRS the government, ripped off all of them and yet is about to get the bigest cash cow in the game too sign with him

is he possibly really the devil??????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght   My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght Empty

Back to top Go down

My Thoughts on that Book the Last Great FIght
Page 1 of 1