Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011

Go down 
+3
marbleheadmaui
Birdofthad
gomez1012
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 12:41 pm

http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2010/08/09/bob-arum-manny-pacquiao-antonio-margarito-headed-to-cowboys-sta/

Quote :
Top Rank Promotions CEO Bob Arum will meet with Jerry Jones on Wednesday in Arlington, Texas, where he plans to cement a deal for Cowboys Stadium to host a Nov. 13 junior middleweight (154 pounds) bout between Manny Pacquiao and ex-champ Antonio Margarito for the vacant WBC belt.

In doing so, Arum would be returning to the site of the March 13 WBO welterweight (147 pounds) title defense made by Pacquiao (51-3-2, 38 KOs) against Joshua Clottey, a unanimous 12-round decision victory that drew more than 51,000 fans to the stadium.

"I'm going to the Dallas Cowboys' stadium on Wednesday with the intention of making a deal, and I'm very optimistic," said Arum. "Jerry Jones, I consider a friend. I think that we're going to make a deal."

When Pacquiao fought Clottey, Margarito, of Tijuana, Mexico, was in attendance and was routinely shadowed by large groups of supporters whose attention rivaled that paid to the popular Pacquiao.

"Jerry Jones knows that north Texas has a huge Hispanic population, and, particularly, a large Mexican American population. So Margarito will be a tremendous draw, and, as you know, Pacquiao was already a tremendous draw," said Arum. "So if the fight happens in [Cowboys Stadium], the attendance will exceed the previous fight with Joshua Clottey, who really had no following in north Texas."

Arum said that Pacquiao's adviser, Michael Koncz, had been in Abu Dhabi throughout most of last week in an attempt to work out what Koncz called a "multi-million dollar deal" for the United Arab Emirates to host Pacquiao-Margarito.

But Arum told FanHouse that the Abu Dhabi deal "is not going to happen," adding that "Michael Koncz is back in the Philippines. Koncz told FanHouse that he had given the country an initial deadline of July 28 within which to work out a deal, but Arum said "they kept saying they need more time, and now it's too late."

Recent developments have promoter Don King pursuing Floyd Mayweather (41-0, 25 knockouts) with the goal of matching him against Pacquiao possibly in the spring. Arum has twice failed to bring Mayweather-Pacquiao to fruition over negotiations with Mayweather's present handlers, Golden Boy Promotions, and adviser Al Haymon.

But Arum said that he and King would be able to work out a deal quickly.

"It's too late for the fall. So Pacquiao-Mayweather would be something in the spring. Floyd has not signed officially with King, but when he does, I'm sure that Don will talk to me and we'll work it out," said Arum. "My recommendation is that we do the fight in May, in which case, if Pacquiao is successful in November, that will give us six months to promote the fight."

Margarito (38-6, 27 KOs) still is not licensed to fight in the U.S., this after his boxing license was revoked by the California State Athletic Commission following an illegal hand-wrapping scandal in January 2009. Margarito is coming off of May's 10-round, unanimous decision over Roberto Garcia in a junior middleweight clash that was fought in Mexico, which licensed him for the bout.

Margarito, whose suspension officially ended on Feb. 11, unsuccessfully applied for a license in Nevada, whose state athletic commission ruled that he must re-apply in California and have his case re-tried there before attempting to fight in Las Vegas.

Margarito has appealed to have his license re-instated by the CSAC, and will have his case heard in August. Still, Arum does not believe that Margarito will have a problem obtaining a license in Texas.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Wonder if Floyd takes a tune up if this is the way it goes
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:20 pm

if this sham happens in my backyard i will be sick
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:28 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
if this sham happens in my backyard i will be sick

You wouldnt go to it?

Shit it will be a nice event, get to see PacMan trash Tony like he did Diaz and DLH lol
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:33 pm

gomez1012 wrote:

Boy you'd think he'd want one, wouldn't he? Probably an unthreatening, fast southpaw? Paulie Mlignaggi? Said Ouali? Any chance Victor Ortiz would be a sacrificial lamb?
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:35 pm

interesting..remember my comment a few days ago that 1.king and arum can work together out of mutual respect2.both may con a foreign country to come up with 50-100 million for a big fight and they ppv is gravy..there working on that i bet already behind the sceens..floyd may take a fight maybe in jan..this whole possibilty will result in what we want to see from floyd and pac.a fight together and floyd fighting a few other bigger names..lol out of evil sometimes comes some good i guess.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:39 pm

i went to Pac vs CLottey, wont go to this fight its a joke and insult to boxing fans IMO
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:41 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
i went to Pac vs CLottey, wont go to this fight its a joke and insult to boxing fans IMO

but you somehow support Floyd's vacation?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:41 pm

Floyd never got caught trying to use plaster huge fucking difference

Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:42 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:

Boy you'd think he'd want one, wouldn't he? Probably an unthreatening, fast southpaw? Paulie Mlignaggi? Said Ouali? Any chance Victor Ortiz would be a sacrificial lamb?

Zab rematch anyone? lol

Would be nice to see it go down that way, both taking on beatable opponents to further hype the mega fight
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:43 pm

and no i dont support his "vacation" if he remains inactive 9 months then fights Pac he is dumb, if he wins alot of people will eat crow mixed with shit
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
Floyd never got caught trying to use plaster huge fucking difference

I wasnt referring to Margarito, this fight wouldnt be happening if Floyd would of taken the fight

I hate seeing Margarito in there as well
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
and no i dont support his "vacation" if he remains inactive 9 months then fights Pac he is dumb, if he wins alot of people will eat crow mixed with shit

really tired of hearing Floyd and "if this and if that"

Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:46 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:

Zab rematch anyone? lol

Would be nice to see it go down that way, both taking on beatable opponents to further hype the mega fight

Man now THAT is a good idea. I wonder if Zab is too much of a threat to be a JMM style tune-up though.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:47 pm

well sorry you shouldnt have brought Floyd up then in a Manny vs Pac thread

Margarito getting another fight in america is a joke and the fact Arum would match him agaiinst his "beloved son like figure" is repulsive
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:47 pm

BTW, I neede some advice. I think Manny is a boxing treasure yet loathe the idea of putting money in Maragrito's pocket. What's an ethical fanatic to do?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:48 pm

only if Zab promises to fight crazy like he did when he got pissed in the fight and Larry was elft perplexed as to what the hell was going on

"hes like moving his hands weirdly, for a second I htought it was the alcohol."
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:49 pm

watch the next week fight replay marble, you get it free and Margarito gets none of your money, or a bar
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:50 pm

Holy shit will I get to see Manny live again? I hope its in Dallas.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:50 pm

no wait i have the perfect solution

go to a strip club showing the fight, help some 30 year old mothers get through "college" watch the fight, BYOB and eat some peanuts and popcorn!!!
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

Stream the PPV online lol

Root for a 1st round KO by Manny
Back to top Go down

Birdofthad wrote:
watch the next week fight replay marble, you get it free and Margarito gets none of your money, or a bar
You going to the fight Bird if its in Dallas?
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:51 pm

or on a internet link which will appear...dont buy the fight.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:51 pm

no way sooners not giving Arum the scuz ball or Margarito the shit bag any of my ahrd earned money

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:52 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
BTW, I neede some advice. I think Manny is a boxing treasure yet loathe the idea of putting money in Maragrito's pocket. What's an ethical fanatic to do?
I dont know. I hate Margo right now but I love to see Manny fight. I will order it or go to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011   Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011 Empty

Back to top Go down

Arum meets Jerry Jones on Wednesday for Tony vs Manny, eyes Floyd in May 2011
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next