Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hughes is and always was a top ten WW.

Go down 
+2
bobbitt15
Wolfgangsta
6 posters

Hughes as a top ten fighter?
He always was.
Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. Vote_lcap54%Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. Vote_rcap
 54% [ 7 ]
He lost his ranking but regained it Saturday.
Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. Vote_lcap38%Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. Vote_rcap
 38% [ 5 ]
He's still washed up and not a top ten fighter.
Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. Vote_lcap8%Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. Empty
PostSubject: Hughes is and always was a top ten WW.   Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 4:08 pm

I've long argued that Matt Hughes should remain a top ten talent. People were quick to execute his career and bury him after back to back loses to GSP and Alves but I knew better. Recently I had started to give up on Hughes, and while I picked him to crush Almeda in a lopsided UD, I didn't expect that impressive of a victory, but he proved us wrong. If I have ever created a rankings in the last year without him on it, shame on me.

Do you rank him top ten?

Last edited by Wolfgangsta on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Hughes is and always was a top ten WW.   Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 4:11 pm

I think people just questioned his desire. Even that fight against Gracie was just a lifeless performance. He actually showed some excitement after the finish Saturday night
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Hughes is and always was a top ten WW.   Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 4:14 pm

I agree with Bobbitt. For a long time we saw Hughes coming in and just trying to hold onto his career as though he didn't know what else to do with himself ala Chuck Liddell. This last fight though he looked like a new man. He looked like a man who has actually tried expanding his game to encompass better striking and kicks to go with his elite level wrestling/submission grappling fusion. Matt Hughes looked like a man who was happy to be there on saturday night.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Hughes is and always was a top ten WW.   Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 4:16 pm

Top ten?
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Hughes is and always was a top ten WW.   Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 4:22 pm

I think he's still top 10 but i don't think he has any desire to attempt a run at the belt...but that win against Almieda is one of the best wins of his career IMO and that is just not talking now. I'm comparing it to all his wins for what they meant at the time.

When asked if he wanted to make a run at the belt he didnt seem that interested when he said he was going to be taking a long time off...but i would not rule out Hughes becoming a Randy Couture like career at WW. He's pretty old now winning some big fights.

Hallman just beat Ben Saunders. I say one more decent win like that for Hallman i would not be surprised to see Hughes get a chance to avenge the severe ownage Hallman has on him. I mean, 2-0 against Hughes in a total of 38 seconds combined. I don't care if it was 10 years ago...pure ownage.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Hughes is and always was a top ten WW.   Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 4:23 pm

He's always been in my top 10.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Hughes is and always was a top ten WW.   Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 4:25 pm

He will be in my next top 10 rankings. I don't think he was last time
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Hughes is and always was a top ten WW.   Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 4:26 pm

I'd give him Hallman now if they want to do that fight at all. Why not?

Otherwise he takes on Serra/Lytle winner or perhaps Jon Fitch.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Hughes is and always was a top ten WW.   Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 4:27 pm

Who voted no?
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Hughes is and always was a top ten WW.   Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm

He was very impressive saturday and i definitely think he is a very good fighter but he knows as much as we do he isnt beating Alves, Fitch, or GSP at this stage so why make a title run to get destroyed. He is very sellable and fans like to watch a legend fight at a high level and win so I think he is bottom end of the top 10 but i dont really see him moving up much farther.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hughes is and always was a top ten WW.   Hughes is and always was a top ten WW. Empty

Back to top Go down

Hughes is and always was a top ten WW.
Page 1 of 1