Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thoughts on Hughes

Go down 
+11
MMAEYES
chorky777
Ninja
Ludo
acccardinal12
timthebim
Cu Bu
KingsOwn19
bobbitt15
cascade_run
Farmer1906
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 11:44 am

Matt Hughes looked as good as he has ever looked on the feet last night, but he like some many other before him has lost the ability to wear punchs (Wand, Liddell, Couture, etc...). He easily stuffed Koschecks takedown attempt and I think young Hughes eats Koscheck alive. I got the feeling Hughes was setting himself up to retire. He got Pat & Penn to train with him. He wore his most recognizable walk out shirt. If he beats Kos then I think he retires there on the spot. But since it didn't happen I think Hughes wants to keep to door open to take one last fight and end his career with a win.
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Obviously in MMA things happen suddenly, but he was looking so good was the thing, I even thought he was going to blow that eye up with that stiff jab, then he got caught and dropped, you could tell he wanted to walk away, but can't go out like that, did Dana say he should retire like he did with Silva and Chuck?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 12:23 pm

His boxing looked really nice but he was wobbled by everything Kos landed
Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 12:25 pm

Young Hughes destroys Koscheck. He has no chin now though so he should retire.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 6:17 pm

I don't buy that he should retire at all. He can still win fights.

When he beat Serra, Gracie, and Almeida everybody was acting like Hughes aint back because he never left this bitch...now he loses two in a row to top guys and needs to retire. Hughes can still beat a lot of guys, he just might need to take it easy on guys like Penn and Kos and maybe look for more Diego Sanchez, Kampmann, maybe Paulo Thiago fights before deciding to retire.

At this point for Hughes, he's only still fighting because he loves it. If he can give up any title aspirations he can still serve as a level boss because a win over Hughes is still better than a win over most of the WW in the UFC outside of maybe 4-5 names outside the obvious GSP, and it's not just because he's Matt Hughes but because he's still proven to be better than middle of the pack fighters and is only facing set backs against the top contenders.

I won't buy that Hughes needs to retire until he loses to somebody like Dan Hardy, or it starts becoming too much. Hughes didnt look weak against Koscheck, he got hit and went down...Koscheck can do that.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 6:33 pm

Hughes used to spar 100% all the time, wonder if those sessions took their toll? Or it could be Thiago alves or gsp trauma
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 6:37 pm

I think it's more so that he's simply getting old.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 8:52 pm

I think he is done as a contender but if he wants to keep fighting thats fine with me.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 8:54 pm

I think he should retire. He can hang with top guys but he can't take a punch. He is a top guy of all time p4p and I don't want to see him laying face down in the octagon anymore because he is aging.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 10:40 pm

Let Me get this straight. Young Hughes who had about 1/5 the boxing he showed last night destroys Koscheck who shot out of desperation? I say young Hughes lasts a little longer against the shots he was taking but eventually the result is the same and he gets slept.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 11:06 pm

Ludo wrote:
Let Me get this straight. Young Hughes who had about 1/5 the boxing he showed last night destroys Koscheck who shot out of desperation? I say young Hughes lasts a little longer against the shots he was taking but eventually the result is the same and he gets slept.

When Hughes was younger he didn't have to evolve as a fighter. His wrestling was so dominant he didn't need to learn how to strike properly. Plus MMA training is vastly different then 5 years ago. It has evoled significantly since the Miletich camp days.

A prime Hughes focusing on his boxing with mordern training beats a Prime Kos today.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 11:22 pm

Ludo wrote:
+1
Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:
Ludo wrote:

When Hughes was younger he didn't have to evolve as a fighter. His wrestling was so dominant he didn't need to learn how to strike properly. Plus MMA training is vastly different then 5 years ago. It has evoled significantly since the Miletich camp days.

A prime Hughes focusing on his boxing with mordern training beats a Prime Kos today.

+1.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 4:36 am

Prime Hughes with today's training methods available to him and a mind to focus on striking probably beats Koscheck. But the Hughes of 2005 as he was without the "if he had today's opportunities" theory attached does much, much worse against Koscheck.

Though by the same token it isn't like he never had above average strikers to train with. Jens, Pat, Neer, and Sylvia to a point(at one time Sylvia was recognized as an accomplished MMA striker). He had a ton of opportunities to focus on his striking, but for whatever reason he chose not to. I think if it wasn't for the Thiago Alves fight he'd probably still have the striking of a lame house cat.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:44 am

I think Matt needs to retire. It's sad but any fighter with good enough wrestling to fight off his wrestling for long enough to touch his chin is gonna KO him.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 12:11 pm

He reminds me of the iceman, hes an incredible fighter but his chin has left him behind.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 12:35 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
He reminds me of the iceman, hes an incredible fighter but his chin has left him behind.

THIS. Every other part of their bodies says bring it and their chins say NOOOOOO!!!!
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 12:35 pm

He's not as legendary as Matt or Chuck but AA has the same problem
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 2:11 pm

it would suck to be hughes and be performing better in training daily just to have your chin fail you.

The common saying is "power is the last to go" maybe its chin? I only spar now but feel lucky my body started to say no before my fists and chin
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:53 am

that Hughes would have beat Diego.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:15 am

OU wrote:
that Hughes would have beat Diego.

I agree
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:53 am

I still think he would have been finished. Kos has a nice overhand right but its not like he possesses otherworldly power and Hughes was literally buckled and hurt by every single punch he landed

That chin is finito
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Farmer has the best AV on this board, hands down.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 4:25 pm

I love Matt Hughes and he hasn't got shit to prove to anyone! but he needs to realize he is not one of the Randys or Hendos of the sport. They are going to be few and far between. What is sad for me concerning Matt is he is just short of being on that Mount Rushmore of MMA thing we do every once in awhile. For me that is going to be Royce, Randy, Spider, and GSP...though five years from now, it will probably have to replace a member, which will sadly be Randy, because to replace Royce would be a sin...
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 4:29 pm

Royce... i'd put Hughes ahead of him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thoughts on Hughes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Hughes   Thoughts on Hughes Empty

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Hughes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next