Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Would a Nelson win be a let down?

Go down 
+7
Birdofthad
acccardinal12
boomer sooner
Ludo
GDPofDRC
Andrew the Raider King
Wolfgangsta
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Would a Nelson win be a let down? Empty
PostSubject: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 1:10 pm

If Nelson is able to pull a minor coup and defeat Junior Dos Santos, how would that be recieved? Does Nelson make a less challenging or compelling contender for Lesnar/Cain?

Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 1:12 pm

A fat guy with a ridiculous mullet being the #1 contender will make me take the division less seriously.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 1:15 pm

I would agree Ali, except for one thing. Nelson is smart and he USES his belly where other fat guys try to pretend they are still slender. Nelson is fat, he admits he is fat, and he uses the fat. He is the E. Honda of MMA.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 1:20 pm

No, not a letdown. To win several fights of increasing difficulty in a row at this level tells the story of a deserving contender. To the common fan, yes, because he isn't a comic book character.

*deserving as he might be, the way things in the UFC typically go, it might be a rush for the shot.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 1:41 pm

I wouldn't be let down if he got a shot after beating JDS after knocking out Struve and Shaub the way he did.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 2:21 pm

Well I think a win here should definitely secure JDS's title shot, but I'm not so sure about Nelson. Schaub and Struve are hardly top ten material. JDS has had to go through a murderer's row to get to this fight. It wouldn't be fair if Nelson won and got a title shot, but I suppose no one else is on deck.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:05 pm

It's not really fair if you strictly compare the quality of UFC opponents, no, but look at it from a promoters perspective. Nelson has three fights from the highrated TUF season he won on his UFC record as well. According to the way the UFC has promoted fighters like Rashad Evans by including their TUF records, technically they're both 5-0 in the UFC. Nelson was a somewhat more known and respected commodity before his UFC tenure, and has a significant profile thanks to The Ultimate Fighter, where as Dos Santos has rose from complete obscurity.

Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
It's not really fair if you strictly compare the quality of UFC opponents, no, but look at it from a promoters perspective. Nelson has three fights from the highrated TUF season he won on his UFC record as well. According to the way the UFC has promoted fighters like Rashad Evans by including their TUF records, technically they're both 5-0 in the UFC. Nelson was a somewhat more known and respected commodity before his UFC tenure, and has a significant profile thanks to The Ultimate Fighter, where as Dos Santos has rose from complete obscurity.

Okay now use this perspective and think about Vitor and Chael and how you broke down who deserves it more with that lame fill in the blank insult at me yesterday. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Vitor didn't win TUF and has no MW fights. That was an entirely different point. I post so much that if you wait long enough you can find a much better straw to grasp at when you're butthurt at something I've said.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:41 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Vitor didn't win TUF and has no MW fights. That was an entirely different point. I post so much that if you wait long enough you can find a much better straw to grasp at when you're butthurt at something I've said.

So now you are big on TUF, lol Wolf. Either way you contradict yourself as usual for the benefit of a current discussion you are involved with. I am just busting your balls anyways. I am not upset that you think Chael is more deserving then Vitor is. I just find it hard to believe you couldn't say, Chael is in because Vitor is hurt. You know deep down that Vitor is a much better fight for Silva and the fans.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:42 pm

nope i expect Fat Roy to win
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Either way it wouldn't be a let down if Roy wins.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:55 pm

I think most would rather see JDS win. To be honest I really like Roy but to casual fans it would be a let down cause how is this fat pile of shit going to beat Brock with all those muscles?? Thats what they would say.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:57 pm

This fight will tell us alot about things. Nelson has always had a decent shoot. If he can take JDS down with relative ease(I'm not saying he can but if he can) then there isn't really any point to JDS fighting Lesnar or Cain to be honest.
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:58 pm

brock would rock end of story!
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 4:09 pm

Quote :

Quote :
So now you are big on TUF, lol Wolf. Either way you contradict yourself as usual for the benefit of a current discussion you are involved with. I am just busting your balls anyways. I am not upset that you think Chael is more deserving then Vitor is. I just find it hard to believe you couldn't say, Chael is in because Vitor is hurt. You know deep down that Vitor is a much better fight for Silva and the fans.

I am not big on TUF, I said from a promoters perspective the TUF win is big, which it is.

I was never called on or asked to say Chael is in because Vitor is hurt. That's obvious. All I said was Chael has done significantly more in the UFC and earned his shot before Belfort. Vitor may be the better fight, but he may not be, we don't know, but I do know Vitor hasn't even fought at MW in the UFC once, and his wins over the Law and Martin pale in comparison to Chael's UFC and WEC career.

Yo can you lurk for a while and pester me after a fighter I pick loses a fight or something. You'll have better luck/be less annoying.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 4:30 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quote :

Quote :

I am not big on TUF, I said from a promoters perspective the TUF win is big, which it is.

I was never called on or asked to say Chael is in because Vitor is hurt. That's obvious. All I said was Chael has done significantly more in the UFC and earned his shot before Belfort. Vitor may be the better fight, but he may not be, we don't know, but I do know Vitor hasn't even fought at MW in the UFC once, and his wins over the Law and Martin pale in comparison to Chael's UFC and WEC career.

Yo can you lurk for a while and pester me after a fighter I pick loses a fight or something. You'll have better luck/be less annoying.

You kind of called yourself in imo. Either way no I cannot do that because annoying you is one of my favorite things to do here. You mean that much to me.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Aside from my personal interest in the fight, I would not see it as a let down. Nelson's a good story, sure he's a fatso, but he has skills, a solid career mark, a tuf winner, and a win vs Junior would quelch alot of the anit-Nelson rhetoric(of which I partake).

And he's an American(you know, US Citizen) so that's a plus in his favor. Especially for the mullet rockers in the midwest.
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 4:33 pm

TUF winners go for chips nuff said watch!
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 6:13 pm

Wouldn't be a let down for me. However each day I give Nelson less and less chance of winning. Just don't think its going to be his night
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 11:42 pm

Would a Nelson win be a let down? Roy-nelson
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 2:30 am

hahha bobbitt thats a funny sig, Hughes is like WTF kinda drink is this

Nelson looks like he is either high or has been crying in that pic
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would a Nelson win be a let down?   Would a Nelson win be a let down? Empty

Back to top Go down

Would a Nelson win be a let down?
Page 1 of 1