Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is Nelson's standup that bad?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Is Nelson's standup that bad? Empty
PostSubject: Is Nelson's standup that bad?   Is Nelson's standup that bad? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 12:37 pm

or is Kimbo's pretty good. Cause, let's be honest, Kimbo dominated that fight standing last night.

For a guy that was the run away favorite to win(by fans at least) to be punked in the standupby a guy who was considered a joke by many is a bad sign. Plus beating Kimbo on the ground shows zilch. I have to imagine that one of the guys on that show beats him, and if not, then the UFC will generate no real talent from this season. I mean Nelson's 32 years old, he'll never crack top 10 in the division.

As far as Kimbo, I think he showed the petruzelli KO was a bit of a fluke, he has good hands, but he also showed that his ground game continues to be garbageo.

That fight looked very much like the Kimbo-Thompson fight, right down to the undefended, but ineffective shots that each opponent landed on a grounded Kimbo.

Kimbo should worry less about improving his ground game and work more on takedown defense. Cause takedown defense is far easier, and I can't see his ground game ever becoming worthwhile.

And should not have Page and his team stressed to Kimbo to forget about knees while in tight? how many times do we need to see a striker give away distance and then give away his base to a far superior ground fighter? Time and again that happens.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Is Nelson's standup that bad?   Is Nelson's standup that bad? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 12:43 pm

He wasn't trying to strike with Kimbo. He was using his jab to setup a takedown, that's it. Kimbo landed a few blows while Roy shot in for the takedown but that's about it.

Kimbo was dominated, even if his standup IS good it doesn't matter. His ground game is so bad that he'll never be a factor in MMA aside from his freakshow appeal.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Is Nelson's standup that bad?   Is Nelson's standup that bad? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 12:47 pm

Bigs03 wrote:
He wasn't trying to strike with Kimbo. He was using his jab to setup a takedown, that's it. Kimbo landed a few blows while Roy shot in for the takedown but that's about it.

Kimbo was dominated, even if his standup IS good it doesn't matter. His ground game is so bad that he'll never be a factor in MMA aside from his freakshow appeal.

I agree Kimbo's ground game is terrible, but I could see some very interesting fights vs other strikers who have little interest in ground fighting ala, Kongo, Junior, or Rogers.

But I totally disagree on Roy, the guy was getting rocked in the standup. If your gameplan is to get rocked and hope your opponent throws an ill advised knee while in tight, then you have a bad gameplan. I thought Roy's stock pumelled off of last nights performance.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Is Nelson's standup that bad?   Is Nelson's standup that bad? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 12:50 pm

captain organic wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:

I agree Kimbo's ground game is terrible, but I could see some very interesting fights vs other strikers who have little interest in ground fighting ala, Kongo, Junior, or Rogers.

But I totally disagree on Roy, the guy was getting rocked in the standup. If your gameplan is to get rocked and hope your opponent throws an ill advised knee while in tight, then you have a bad gameplan. I thought Roy's stock pumelled off of last nights performance.

Are you serious? Roy was not rocked, have you ever seen anyone who is rocked? Roy took some shots but he was not rocked. He took Kimbo down hard twice and during the takedown attempts Kimbo landed a few shots, that's it. Nelson has a good chin and Kimbo never landed a flush shot with a lot of power.

As far as Rogers, Kongo, and Dos Santos...they would all whoop Kimbo's ass.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Is Nelson's standup that bad?   Is Nelson's standup that bad? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 12:55 pm

Bigs03 wrote:
captain organic wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:

Are you serious? Roy was not rocked, have you ever seen anyone who is rocked? Roy took some shots but he was not rocked. He took Kimbo down hard twice and during the takedown attempts Kimbo landed a few shots, that's it. Nelson has a good chin and Kimbo never landed a flush shot with a lot of power.

Even Rashad said Roy was dazed. You're in pure hater mode for Kimbo, (and hugger mode for Roy).
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Is Nelson's standup that bad?   Is Nelson's standup that bad? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 1:20 pm

captain organic wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:
captain organic wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:

Even Rashad said Roy was dazed. You're in pure hater mode for Kimbo, (and hugger mode for Roy).

Wrong, I don't hate Kimbo. He seems like a good dude and someone I could root for. I'm just calling the fight how I saw it. Kimbo brings nothing to the table in an MMA fight except name recognition. Did you see Kimbo vs. James Thompson? Same Kimbo then as he is now. How long do you think James Thompson would last with Rogers, Kongo, or Dos Santos?
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: Is Nelson's standup that bad?   Is Nelson's standup that bad? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Bigs come on now.. you know Roy would have stood with him if he thought he could take him..

I mean he said it himself in the show

something like: I have a gameplan but if I feel I am doing well in the stand up I might just keep it there. (thats from memory, so not exact)

so his plan was to stand with him and if it doesnt look good.. than take him to the ground and win by indian sunburns.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Is Nelson's standup that bad?   Is Nelson's standup that bad? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 4:01 pm

GolbeZ wrote:
Bigs come on now.. you know Roy would have stood with him if he thought he could take him..

I mean he said it himself in the show

something like: I have a gameplan but if I feel I am doing well in the stand up I might just keep it there. (thats from memory, so not exact)

so his plan was to stand with him and if it doesnt look good.. than take him to the ground and win by indian sunburns.

So you seriously think Kimbo has better standup? I don't. Kimbo probably has more power but that's it. I think Roy took a shot or two and decided he might as well just take it down where there's no chance of Kimbo winning from a haymaker. Roy didn't even throw the right hand last night once, he didn't even try to get his standup game going. I think he just took the easiest road to a W so he could get his double cheeseburger.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Is Nelson's standup that bad?   Is Nelson's standup that bad? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 4:07 pm

before last night it was pretty clear Roy was the better fighter than Kimbo, even in the standup, but last night it looked terrible. Kimbo did have him dazed but it wasn't too serious. Kimbo did ok actually. Roy beats any fighter in the house if he fights to his ability.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Nelson's standup that bad?   Is Nelson's standup that bad? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Nelson's standup that bad?
Page 1 of 1