Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roy's standup is below average.

Go down 
+5
redvexx8
Wolfgangsta
SOKO
Ninja
captain organic
9 posters
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Roy's standup is below average. Empty
PostSubject: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 11:18 am

Kimbo had the better of the standup in their fight. McSweeney had the better of it until his douchebagged arrogance caught up with him. And Nelson actually got caught by the short armed dude in the other fight as well.

He'll prob win the final cause he has a good ground game, and the other guy looks like a 205er, but I don't see Roy having any worthwhile success in the UFC.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 12:21 pm

Shaub actually showed good ground defense against big baby so I think he'll be able to take Roy off him if that were to happen. Also his standup will be too much for Roy. I'm predicting shaub by 2nd rd tko.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 12:27 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
Shaub actually showed good ground defense against big baby so I think he'll be able to take Roy off him if that were to happen. Also his standup will be too much for Roy. I'm predicting shaub by 2nd rd tko.

Roy's ground game and Big Baby's ground game are not even comparable. Roy is black belt under Renzo and has competed against the world's best grapplers.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:

Roy's ground game and Big Baby's ground game are not even comparable. Roy is black belt under Renzo and has competed against the world's best grapplers.

I understand that but Roy has been relying on his weight too much on this show and I think it will catch up with him this time
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 1:54 pm

big baby has basic jj skills but the thing is he uses them when ever he can. It seemed like a few years back you saw alot of attempts from average guys and now all you see is people that want to bang. the only jj we get to see most of the time not all is from black belts.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 11:07 pm

His standup is below average? I can understand how it appears that way if all you know of him is this tuf season. MMA fans however remember his reign in the IFL where he showed pretty damn rounded skills.

This is the TUF winner with the most potential in literally years and one of the highest, if not the outright highest ranked fighter coming into the show maybe ever. I had him in the top ten before the Arlovski fight and still in the top 15.

Nelson was a UFC level fighter before TUF. Like season one, where Forrest was already a big time enough fighter with enough name fights and wins to be in the UFC anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 11:48 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:

I understand that but Roy has been relying on his weight too much on this show and I think it will catch up with him this time

LOL

I do think Shaub will beat him though.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 11:57 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
His standup is below average? I can understand how it appears that way if all you know of him is this tuf season. MMA fans however remember his reign in the IFL where he showed pretty damn rounded skills.
This is the TUF winner with the most potential in literally years and one of the highest, if not the outright highest ranked fighter coming into the show maybe ever. I had him in the top ten before the Arlovski fight and still in the top 15.

Nelson was a UFC level fighter before TUF. Like season one, where Forrest was already a big time enough fighter with enough name fights and wins to be in the UFC anyway.

So are you saying you think his skills have eroded?
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 12:03 am

Roy has already explained a few times that he was trying to get through the show exerting the least amount of energy and trying not to get busted up. So if you just know him from TUF he hasnt shown his full potential.

Hes not great but hes decent. A gatekeeper.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 12:19 am

redvexx8 wrote:
Roy has already explained a few times that he was trying to get through the show exerting the least amount of energy and trying not to get busted up. So if you just know him from TUF he hasnt shown his full potential.

Hes not great but hes decent. A gatekeeper.

I've seen him b4, but I don't see how deliberately losing in the standup keeps one fresh. I know his ground game is good, but his stand up is lacking.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 9:43 pm

It seems his standup skills are less refined than they used to be. He trains a lot by himself and I think it is catching up with him.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 9:47 pm

Gatekeeper? Possibly but the UFC and MMA in general has a wide gap between "gatekeepers" and elite fighters at HW. I honestly think he could win the UFC HW title though as the UFC's HW division is all guys who don't have great striking but great ground games. Strikers hardly exist in the weight class. Average or below average standup skills + heavy hands + elite ground game is all you need to compete at HW nowdays.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 10:03 pm

roy nelson should win this fight easily. His ground game is world class and no, his striking isn't great but he does have big power so if he does land it's gonna have something behind it. While i dont think Roy will ever be top 5 i think he can beat a few guys in the top 10ish who have questionable ground games. Definitley not a gatekeeper from what i've seen.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 11:22 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Gatekeeper? Possibly but the UFC and MMA in general has a wide gap between "gatekeepers" and elite fighters at HW. I honestly think he could win the UFC HW title though as the UFC's HW division is all guys who don't have great striking but great ground games. Strikers hardly exist in the weight class. Average or below average standup skills + heavy hands + elite ground game is all you need to compete at HW nowdays.

FAIL
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 1:17 am

Roy's standup is below average. 35_roy_nelson
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 9:41 am

LOL@Dana's expression.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 10:37 pm

You know for a fat guy, he has really fast feet. I still hope Schaub kicks his ass though.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 1:35 am

hmmm
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 1:35 am

Owned.
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 1:36 am

LOL all those NFL guys sucked.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 2:17 am

Roy's standup is below average. Whopper
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 5:39 am

Well I was right about Shaub's ground defense being good. Too bad he got KTFO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roy's standup is below average.   Roy's standup is below average. Empty

Back to top Go down

Roy's standup is below average.
Page 1 of 1