Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Great Sean McCorkle Interview

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

Great Sean McCorkle Interview Empty
PostSubject: Great Sean McCorkle Interview   Great Sean McCorkle Interview EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 1:51 pm

KC: So, on the UG you’ve been referring to everything associated with you and the UFC as “hypothetical”. Can you confirm that you have signed a deal with the UFC?

SM: I still can neither confirm nor deny that I am fighting Mark Hunt on September 25th at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis at UFC 119. But nice try getting it out of me.

KC: Do you swear to baby Jesus that this isn’t an elaborate troll concocted by you and OMA ™?
SM: Believe it or not, we were actually working on just such a troll when this all hypothetically came together. Or were we?

KC: How many fights is it?
SM: If I had to guess, I say it’s a 4 fight deal.
KC: What are some of the stipulations? Can you be cut if you win? Do you have to lose just once or twice to be cut?
SM: I’m not allowed to go into specifics, but it’s pretty safe to say that when you’re dealing with the UFC, you are at their mercy win or lose. There’s not a fighter in the world that the UFC needs more than the fighter needs the UFC. The Fedor situation proved that.

KC: If you win the first 3 fights is there a shot at the title?
SM: Wait, the fight with Mark Hunt isn’t for the title? Where did you hear that?
KC: Since the UFC owns your image and likeness – and you are the self proclaimed most handsome man on the planet over 6′5″ – did they have to pay a premium signing bonus?
SM: No, but I would have requested one if I’d have known the fight wasn’t for the title.

KC: You’ve made it clear that you’ve been financially successful with your other business pursuits, so this isn’t about the money then is it?
SM: I train because it’s something I love to do. But anyone who says they’d fight for free at the UFC level is either a liar or an idiot. And I’m neither. I think Phil Baroni said it best when he said “I fight because I can’t sing or dance, and it beats the hell out of working a job”
KC: It’s going to come out after the fight so I don’t feel too bad asking this: what are you paid? Is it 6 and 6? 8 and 8?
SM: It’s somewhere in that range, but I plan on making my real money by becoming the first fighter to get both the KO of the night bonus, and the submission of the night bonus in the same fight.

KC: About 2 years ago, you said you could never cut to 265 and said the UFC didn’t pay enough to fight for them – around that same time a year later, you got divorced – did that change your motivation or out look?
SM: Thank you for bringing the most painful period of my life up publicly. It did change my motivation considerably. Partially because the UFC has since begun paying substantially more money to their fighters, and also because chicks love UFC fighters. And that’s what life is all about. Cheese and bitches.
KC: So, how does something like this go down? Do you just get a call out of the blue from Zuffa? Do they show up at fights or the gym to scout you?
SM: I think my internet legend definitely helped. And being a giant, musclebound, good looking heavyweight, once I got to 9-0 I was definitely on the radar for a lot of promotions. There was already interest from Dream and Bellator when Monte Cox called me in the middle of the night one night in mid June and asked me if I was interested in fighting in the UFC. After I said “yes” he asked me what I was wearing. The rest is history.
KC: Being signed to the UFC is one thing, but when you found out you were fighting Mark Hunt, what did you think? How did you feel?

SM: When I saw the bout agreement, the first thing I did was call Monte, and ask him if it was THE Mark Hunt that I was fighting. When he said yes, I was thrilled. Not only do I feel like he’s a perfect matchup for me both stylistically and physically, but also he’s an MMA legend. I was watching Mark fight before I ever even thought about fighting, and was always a fan of his. It sounds gay, but I really do feel honored to have the opportunity to fight him. Especially in the UFC.

KC: Everyone always asks a for a game plan and everyone always gives a generic answer – because why would you want to let the other camp know? But let’s be honest; you don’t plan on standing with him and want to gorilla slam him to the ground as soon as possible right?
SM: People might think I’m crazy, but I’d be just as happy to fight Mark standing up as I would be on the ground. I’m not going to try to force the fight in any one direction. I have a 10 inch height advantage, and probably even more than that of a reach advantage, so I’m content to use that if that’s what the situation dictates.
KC: Are you bringing in any training partners specifically to prepare for Hunt?

SM: No, but I plan on visiting several different camps during the next 9 weeks so that I can train with as many different top level fighters as possible. I think it helps not only keeping it fresh, but also you can pickup a lot of little different things that way.

KC: What’s the defense for an Atomic Butt Drop?
SM: I don’t want to give away too much of my strategy, but it’s safe to say that if Mark plans on using that tactic, he should be fully prepared to have his oil checked, and he’d also better spend some time learned how to defend “the rusty fish hook.”
KC: What’s your typical training day consist of?
SM: Besides whiskey and whores, it’s pretty much consists of way more cardio than I like to do, and way less eating than I like to do. Recently I’ve been working a ton of standup.
KC: A lot of people are questioning both you and Hunt’s ability to cut to 265. What’s your plan for that?
SM: Well with the new drug testing measures that many commissions are putting together, I think it’s safe to say that smoking meth is no longer an option. So I guess I’ve have to do it the old fashion way. Bulimia. I also have stopped lifting heavy weights, eat only complex carbs, drink only water, and am doing enough cardio to last me a lifetime.
KC: Are you hungry right now?
SM: Like you wouldn’t believe.
KC: Now the important questions: what will your entrance music be?
SM: Copa Cabana by Barry Manilow
KC: Any weigh in, walk out or post fight interview epic shenanigans planned?
SM: I had something awesome planned for the weigh ins, but I scrapped that particular idea once I found out I was fighting Mark Hunt. I felt it would be kind of disrespectful for me to do it considering that I’m fighting an MMA legend. I’m working on a few more though. My post fight interviews I always just do off the top of my head, and they typically are hilarious. Like the time I apologized to the fans after a 90 second victory and said “Sorry it didn’t last longer……and that’s actually the 3rd time I’ve said that this week.”
KC: What about sponsors? Besides getting your own butt patch or something, does Zuffa tell you what t-shirt you’re going to wear? Do you have any say in the design?
SM: Tentatively I have a deal with Tapout to be my main sponsor, but it’s set in stone yet. I believe the UFC more or less tells you what you can’t wear, as opposed to telling you what to wear.
KC: Is Zuffa going to regulate your UG posting going forward? You post some borderline offensive stuff sometimes.
SM: Well obviously I will be posting only pro-UFC threads from this point on……unless they cut me, then there will be HELL TO PAY. Other than that, I don’t really plan on changing anything. Being myself, and more importantly, being funny, is a big part of what got me where I am.
KC: You’ve had several nicknames over the years (The Hater, The Tanned Adonis, Sean “Dre the Giant”) Have you decided on a nickname?
SM: I’ve narrowed it down to a final few. Maybe I’ll let the UG vote on it and choose the name.

KN: What is the back story on your beef with King Mo?
SM: I actually didn’t even know we had a beef until recently. I made a thread on the UG a few month ago admiring the Master’s Class of Lay and Pray he displayed against Mousasi, and apparently he took it really personally, and began trashing me on his Twitter account nonstop. I thought it was hilarious when I found out about it, and I have to admit that some of the stuff he’s said about me has been pretty funny. So it’s all in good fun, at least from my end.
All joking aside though, King Mo is a great fighter, and in my opinion one of the five best in the world at 205. I’ve also had several people who know him personally tell me that he’s one hell of a nice guy too. He’s definitely the second best self promoter in all of MMA.
KC: Any words for Jason Guida? Or does he not exist to you now?
SM: Yes, I think he should checkout using Geico.com. After all, it’s so easy, even a caveman can do it.
KC: Anything you’d like to say or make clear to your fans or your haters?

SM: I’d like to thank my fans for their support, but truthfully, it isn’t like it does me much good. I can’t exactly feed off their energy like The Ultimate Warrior. As far as my haters, they’re just mad because I’m stylin’ on them. As a recovering “hater” myself, I understand the struggle all too well. I don’t hold it against them.

Back to top Go down

Great Sean McCorkle Interview
Page 1 of 1