Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.

Go down 
+8
captain organic
Birdofthad
acccardinal12
bobbitt15
josh200612
Andrew the Raider King
LA
Wolfgangsta
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
amazing thing is you know Leben couldnt have gotten hardly any time in the gym for Akiyama with a 2 week turnaround

fighting Akiyama the same night he fought Simpson would have been easier than given a 2 week window IMO

I think the short preperation time hurt Aki more then Leben. Aki had no clue where those left hooks were coming from.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:56 pm

lol Wandy throws the same kind of blows twice as fast. I don't think the change of opponent hurt Akiyama other than causing him to underestimate Leben and not come in pumped up like he would against Wanderlei. He underperformed badly, but it was probably emotional more than anything.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:58 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
lol Wandy throws the same kind of blows twice as fast. I don't think the change of opponent hurt Akiyama other than causing him to underestimate Leben and not come in pumped up like he would against Wanderlei. He underperformed badly, but it was probably emotional more than anything.

nah the south paw aspect played a big role.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:26 pm

Yeah Leben owned the striking start to finish and being a southpaw probably had alot to do with it. It was the grappling that gave Akiyama any chance really. Once Leben tagged him good the first time Akiyama stopped committing to his strikes for the majority of the fight. The two week time hurt Akiyama if it hurt anyone. Leben had it easy in My opinion. He trains the same way for everyone. His gamplan is always the same. Try to stuff takedowns, work the scramble, turn it into a slugfest.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:30 pm

captain organic wrote:
1)props to Wolf he rolled with the Leben legend argument b4 he even signed on to this fight. Then he takes the fight on 2 weeks turnaround, and pulls off an epic win. Leben backed up Wolf perfectly, and yes Leben earned legendary status.

2)I know injuries keep it from happening short term but Leben vs Wandy would be brilliant.

3)As far as the fight goes. I thought it was close, Aki rnd 1, possibly Leben 2, 3rd rnd was all leben, dominating from bottom position.

Umm??? Both of you were saying Smith is better than Leben
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:40 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
captain organic wrote:
1)props to Wolf he rolled with the Leben legend argument b4 he even signed on to this fight. Then he takes the fight on 2 weeks turnaround, and pulls off an epic win. Leben backed up Wolf perfectly, and yes Leben earned legendary status.

2)I know injuries keep it from happening short term but Leben vs Wandy would be brilliant.

3)As far as the fight goes. I thought it was close, Aki rnd 1, possibly Leben 2, 3rd rnd was all leben, dominating from bottom position.

dude go back and read the thread.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:41 pm

LudoCain wrote:
Yeah Leben owned the striking start to finish and being a southpaw probably had alot to do with it. It was the grappling that gave Akiyama any chance really. Once Leben tagged him good the first time Akiyama stopped committing to his strikes for the majority of the fight. The two week time hurt Akiyama if it hurt anyone. Leben had it easy in My opinion. He trains the same way for everyone. His gamplan is always the same. Try to stuff takedowns, work the scramble, turn it into a slugfest.

Ludo called it. I disagreed prior, but agree afterward. Akiyama had never faced a southpaw, and then was fighting one on 2 weeks notice. That's tough.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:43 pm

captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
captain organic wrote:

Already did
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:44 pm

Leben win was a miracle, he was 20 seconds away from losing 27-30, I and almost anywhere I looked was scoring as such. Lets not act like Akiyama was troubled.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:47 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
captain organic wrote:

Already did

then you'll know that.

1)Wolf started the whole Leben Legend argument

2)At least in my case, I was arguing for legend status in regards to Smith, not fighting ability. the 3 come from behind KO's trumping what Leben had accomplished.

3)I gave major probs to Leben for taking the Aki fight, and said the argument should be revisited given a Leben win. He did just that, in epic fashion. His legen status got a MAJOR bump.

Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:48 pm

was anyone besides LA going to give rnd 3 to Aki? I know I wasn't. Not even close.

2nd rnd was tight.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:50 pm

Akiyama was on top the whole fucking rd
Back to top Go down
Deezy0814
Green Belt
Green Belt
Deezy0814

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:50 pm

i think leben taking a fight 2 weeks after already being in one is impressive in its self
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

tolivendiewithLA wrote:

big fucking deal, Leben was dealing out way more punishment.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:51 pm

captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
captain organic wrote:

Already did

then you'll know that.

2)At least in my case, I was arguing for legend status in regards to Smith, not fighting ability. the 3 come from behind KO's trumping what Leben had accomplished.

3)I gave major probs to Leben for taking the Aki fight, and said the argument should be revisited given a Leben win. He did just that, in epic fashion. His legen status got a MAJOR bump.

I was aguing something else in that thread, compared resumes and legend status between Leben and Smith, Leben already had the edge by far, but now it's a laugher.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:52 pm

captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:

He was? How many times does a guy win a rd spendng the whole rd on his back? This was even mentioned during the broadcast.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:56 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:

He was? How many times does a guy win a rd spendng the whole rd on his back? This was even mentioned during the broadcast.

if a guy dominates off his back, he wins the rnd. What was the fight metric for rnd 3?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:57 pm

Akiyama was going to get the 3rd on the judges cards I'm sure. Condit lost the first 2 rounds to McDonald despite receiving no damage from the top
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 12:00 am

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
captain organic wrote:

Already did

then you'll know that.

I was aguing something else in that thread, compared resumes and legend status between Leben and Smith, Leben already had the edge by far, but now it's a laugher.

It was tight prior, I gave edge to Smith, but the 2 wins by Leben were classic. He's earned the edge now, can't argue.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 12:09 am

I found out how Leben won, he has been praying, this poster was found in his locker

Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 Buddy_christ
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 12:10 am

I have this picture in my locker

Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 Religion_demotivational
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 12:11 am

hhahaha thats funny
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 12:16 am

I had round one for Akiyama, round two for Leben, and the way it was going round three for Leben. Just because a fighter is on top doesn't automatically mean he loses the round if he's the much more active fighter dishing out tons of punishment and going for sub after sub. The unified rules stipulate that being on top is an advantageous position and is usually scored in favor of the fighter on top, however they also state that this is not always the case.

Leben had more sub attempts on the ground though, he dished out more punishment standing, and he did what he always does which is make a fucking mess of the fight because thats the way he likes to fight. He was going apeshit off his back on Akiyama's head in the third.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 12:24 am

MMAjunkie:
Round 1 - Referee Herb Dean in the cage for the evening's co-main event. Akiyama takes the center. Akiyama catches and early low kick and sends Leben to the floor. Panicky scramble, but both return to the feet. Leben misses a high kick, and Akiyama patiently stalking. Leben with an outside leg kick. Traded low kick. Leben rushes in with a flurry. Leben returns to the kick. A left wobbles Akiyama briefly. Leg kicks for Leben. Akiyama tries one and catches the cup. Brief timeout after the direct hit. Akiyama lands a right on the restart, and he's timing the leg kicks. Akiyama misses a spinning backfist. Akiyama clinches up and tosses Leben to the canvas. Leben rolls for an armbar underneath. He lets it go and fires a few punches upward. Halfway through the round. Akiyama pressing in, and Leben tries again for the arm. Akiyama pulls it free and transitions to one of his own in a slick sequence. Leben defends well, but as he turns, Akiyama looks for the kimura. Can't secure, but he's still on top of Leben. Akiyama in half-mount, and he looks to be setting up a side choke. Leben pulls his arm out, and Akiyama looks briefly at an Americana. Leben rolls and stands. Good defense so far from Leben, but it's all defense. Akiyama lands a stiff right, though Leben answers with a left. Akiyama with a trip at the bell, and it's 10-9 Akiyama on the MMAjunkie.com card.

Round 2 - Leben lands an early high kick and slips. He gets back up and trades punches with Akiyama. Akiyama lands a spinning backfist flush, but Leben keeps moving forward. Superman punch by Leben and a left hand wobbles Akiyama just briefly. Akiyama with a right and a left. Another right from Akiyama. Leben answers. Akiyama scores. Toe-to-toe classic here. Leben spins Akiyama around and the crowd on its feet. Two minutes in and they finally clinch. Akiyama takes it to the floor in a smart strategic move. Both guys are tired after the spirited action. Akiyama pressing in, and Leben works his back to the cage. He tries to stand, but Akiyama pressing in and keeps the action on the floor. Leben wall-walks up as Akiyama throws tired rights. Leben tries to push Akiyama away, and his fingers are close to the eye. Akiyama ducks in, and Leben controls the head. Crowd wants knees, but Leben tries to squeeze a guillotine. Akiyama pops out, and they reset. Right hand from Akiyama. Left from Akiyama. Leben with a high kick and a left. Leben firing off shots that find their mark. Unbelievable action to close the round. Great round, and MMAjunkie.com sees a close one for Akiyama, 10-9.

MMAweekly:
R1 – Akiyama catches a kick and sends Leben down, but he pops right back up. Leben starts to work on Akiyama’s legs with kicks, landing several, but then takes a kick to the groin and there’s a break in the action for him to recover. They touch gloves and continue, Leben landing a right leg kick and Akiyama a right punch. They clinch, Leben lands a knee to the body, but Akiyama uses his judo to throw him to the mat. Leben tries to find and armbar, but Akiyama defends and starts grounding and pounding. Leben goes for the armbar again, but Akiyama gets out, spins around and starts searching for an armbar of his own. Leben escapes, putting Akiyama into his half guard. Leben escapes and gets back to his feet, but Akiyama presses him to the cage. They separate and Leben lands a kick and straight left before Akiyama scores another Judo throw.

MMAWeekly.com scores the round 10-9 for Akiyama

R2 – Leben counters Akiyama’s straight right with a straight left then lands a solid combination. Akiyama lands a spinning backfist, but Leben scores with a straight left and then a superman punch. Akiyama fires back with a straight right. Leben lands several straight lefts that hurt Akiyama, but the Japanese fighter fires back and rocks Leben with a combination. Unbelievable, both men pressing with punches, then Akiyama lands another Judo takedown and begins working from Leben’s full guard. Leben bacs up to the cage, Akiyama all the while punching. Akiyama continues punching as Leben rises to his feet, back to the cage. Leben goes for a front choke and moves to a guillotine, but Akiyama escapes. Leben moves in and eats a brutal right hand, but keeps coming, rocking Akiyama. Both man swinging away, neither can put the other away as the round comes to a close.

MMAWeekly.com scores the round 10-9 for Akiyama

I remember other places aswell scroing the first 2 for Akiyama, and Leben did have some shots from the bottom and both had sub attempts, I'd have been shocked if they gave the rd to Leben being on his back so long, it was finish or lose.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 12:28 am

I believe I had round 1 for Akiyama round 2 10-10, and round 3 was definitely going to go to Akiyama if Leben hadnt finished him IMO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.    Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chris Leben will go down as a different kind of MMA legend.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next