Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce

Go down 
+7
OU
Ludo
captain organic
acccardinal12
bobbitt15
LA
KingsOwn19
11 posters
AuthorMessage
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce Empty
PostSubject: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:25 am

Who's first for Shields? It seems like everybody in UFC is booked. GSP, Kos, Fitch, Alves, Condit, Hardy, Almeida....depending on how soon he signs, it seems like Martin Kampmann would be the best first matchup for him considering it's been awhile since he's fought at WW anyway...would be suprised to see him at MW.

Strikeforce waived the final few weeks of the matching period. Pretty much inevitable. It was clear they did not want to pay Shields, might as well just get the ball rolling on the tourny.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010
by Loretta Hunt (lhunt@sherdog.com)

Strikeforce released its middleweight champion, Jake Shields, from his contract with the organization on Wednesday, according to an industry source with direct knowledge of the negotiations.

The 31-year-old Shields had been in a final-phase “matching period” of his recently completed contract with the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion, which allowed him to receive bids from other organizations, including the UFC, that Strikeforce could review and match in order to keep his services. However, the source said Strikeforce waived that contractual right in its final 2-3 weeks and opted to release the Cesar Gracie fighter altogether before the period expired.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:30 am

1 down 7-10 more to go
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:31 am

And even though fights are booked I'd like to see him come in and fight one of the winners of some of those big fights.

Also, he may get a tune up fight then take on GSP after he defends, very possible.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:33 am

Yeah, most of those fights are a couple months away....even longer for GSP-Kos. So, since Kampmann isnt doing shit and Shields isnt doing shit....sounds like the matchup to make with Kamp coming off a stellar performance against Paulo.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Nice. It will definitely be interesting to see what they do with him
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:36 am

IDK what they'll do with him, but I have a feeling he's gonna want to fight at WW and MW
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:58 am

Serra, Bisping and Kampmann would be worthy opponents.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 2:03 am

After Dana trashed SF for having him at MW, I don't think we'll see him there so Bisping is out of the question. The other two would be interesting.

I'm still crossing my fingers that the UFC makes a fight between Vitor and Bisping but I think Vitor is pretty much set on waiting for the champ
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 2:10 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
After Dana trashed SF for having him at MW, I don't think we'll see him there so Bisping is out of the question. The other two would be interesting.

I'm still crossing my fingers that the UFC makes a fight between Vitor and Bisping but I think Vitor is pretty much set on waiting for the champ

No point in that at all. Vitor would kill Bisping and that is a British moneymaker. Let's be Slow down a bit and think about that one Bobbit. Title fight or bust for Vitor after his surgery. He has been training and there is no reason to put a big contender at risk anyways. Vitor vs Spider would be huge for UFC and I know everyone wants that fight.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 2:13 am

B wants that as a warmup fight for Vitor, everyone knows Vitor would stomp his ass.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 2:13 am

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

No point in that at all. Vitor would kill Bisping and that is a British moneymaker. Let's be Slow down a bit and think about that one Bobbit. Title fight or bust for Vitor after his surgery. He has been training and there is no reason to put a big contender at risk anyways. Vitor vs Spider would be huge for UFC and I know everyone wants that fight.

I want to see it because I hate Bisping and Vitor is one of my favorites. I know exactly what the outcome would be. But the biggest reason is I want to see Vitor back in there before a possible fight with Anderson. I don't think its good to have that much time off coupled with the surgery. I'd like to see a tune up fight of sorts first

Last edited by bobbitt15 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 2:14 am

LA already reading my mind and beating me to the punch
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 2:26 am

The end of the article Kings posted Shields' dad said that since GSP is tied up Jake would love to come in as a MW and fight Anderson. I can't see that going down
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 11:49 am

I'd be interested in Shields vs Maia. At least at some point. AJJ vs BJJ.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:02 pm

Shields vs Anderson Silva would look alot like Maia/Silva when he wasn't dancing, or Silva/Leites.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:05 pm

LudoCain wrote:
Shields vs Anderson Silva would look alot like Maia/Silva when he wasn't dancing, or Silva/Leites.

What skill does Jake have that Maia, Leites and Silva don't? I'll give you one hint....wrestling.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:16 pm

and Hendo caught him with a bomb in the opening seconds of the fight. Silva would outpace him all night and wreck his shit standing while staying far enough away to avoid a takedown.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:31 pm

Jake Shields won't beat the top guys in the UFC but at least he can be a fresh look, and was a boring bland fighter for Strikeforce. All parties benefit from this ultimately.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:34 pm

He won't be a UFC champ anytime soon, but he can linger in the top 5 of whichever division he fights in.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:51 pm

"Shields said his son would like to debut as a UFC middleweight, possibly against champion Anderson Silva, as welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre will be tied up with “The Ultimate Fighter” reality TV series and a pending bout with rival coach Josh Koscheck later this year.

“We didn’t come to agreement with Strikeforce, but Jake’s excited to challenge himself against the likes of Anderson Silva and others in the UFC,” said Shields. "

At the bottom of the article it says who he wants a shot at. Dana isn't entertaining a Shileds/Anderson match-up anytime soon... I guarantee that. I agree with those that like the thought of Bisping as a stepping stone towards a title shot though...
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:56 pm

I wouldn't mind throwing Shields in against Anderson. He has a good enough build up to be a valid challenger for either title I think. 12 wins in a row and against good comp with his beating of Dan being his best and most recent. Not the number one best resume but one of the best.

He was on course to fight Anderson at ROTR but Anderson got DQ'd against Okami who went on to lose to Shields.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

We're being kind of premature saying Shields has no chance against Anderson. We need to see how Chael fares first. If Sonnen wins Shield would win that fight too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 2:06 pm

LudoCain wrote:

disagree, sheilds would have a better chance to get top position than those 2.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 2:15 pm

just saw 2nd page and sooners reply but yeah wrestling adds big time variable to this matcup
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Jake Shields won't beat the top guys in the UFC but at least he can be a fresh look, and was a boring bland fighter for Strikeforce. All parties benefit from this ultimately.

They do? SF losing one of their top 3 fighters is a win for them? ok Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce   Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce Empty

Back to top Go down

Jake Shields officially gone from Strikeforce
Page 1 of 1