Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader Empty
PostSubject: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 11:54 pm

Promoter Lou DiBella, whose frustration with HBO boiled over last week because middleweight champ Sergio Martinez hadn't been assured of a fall date, said the network has come around. DiBella said HBO's "clear preference" is for a rematch between Martinez and Paul Williams, who edged him in December, one fight before Martinez beat Kelly Pavlik for the middleweight title. However, DiBella said if it can't be made (Williams' side says he's going down to welterweight) it's possible the fighters will appear together on a doubleheader. DiBella has given HBO a lengthy list of fighters Martinez is willing to face, including Williams. "HBO is trying to create economic incentives to make the rematch, but they're not leaving Sergio with nothing if it can't be made," DiBella said. "I had conversations with [HBO Sports president] Ross Greenburg and [HBO Sports senior vice president] Kery [Davis] and they indicated their preference for Williams, but they also indicated that if the fight wasn't happening they would entertain a doubleheader with Sergio against a reasonable opponent. They absolutely stepped up for Sergio and said he'd either be fighting Williams or an opponent we can agree on. Sergio is very happy to continue his career on HBO and appreciates everything they've done for him."

http://espn.go.com/sports/boxing/notebook/_/id/5298856/shot-title-long-time-coming-allan-green
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:07 am

a double header..good..now did hbo give a list of 3 or 4 fighters acceptable to them for SM to fight..the article missed that point maybe.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:15 am

Why should Martinez' career have to be put on hold due to the career mismanagment of Williams?

Martinez kept his mouth shut and took what was given to him and made the most of his opportunity, now he's middleweight champ of the world. Williams blew his chance by being unrealistic.

If Williams wants to be a moron and chase ghosts at welterweight, why should the champ's career be stalled?

I don't understand the amount of capitol HBO continues to invest in Williams- who isn't even a draw.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:20 am

I am curious as to which Welterweights Dan thinks he's going to get for Williams.

Joshua Clottey is available but he previously passed on a fight with Paul at 154lb.

Delvin Rodriguez could be a possibility.

Randall Bailey and Junior Witter recently moved up to Welterweight.

Maybe Zab Judah is now desperate enough to accept this sort of challenge.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:22 am

alfonso Gomez ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:22 am

Canvas wrote:
alfonso Gomez ?

Good call. I was trying to think of guys HBO would accept.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:26 am

I actually like Alfonso Gomez.

There is nothing for Williams at 147. Even if Mayweather Pac never happens, I think Mayweather would choose Martinez instead of PW.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:31 am

I find it hard to respect Gomez after his poor effort against Cotto.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:41 am

He was outclassed. He gave it his all, and has improved since then. Gives exciting fights. Has a few solid wins for a B level fighter.
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 1:05 am

Canvas wrote:
He was outclassed. He gave it his all, and has improved since then. Gives exciting fights. Has a few solid wins for a B level fighter.

solid wins over C level fighters.
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 1:08 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
I am curious as to which Welterweights Dan thinks he's going to get for Williams.

Joshua Clottey is available but he previously passed on a fight with Paul at 154lb.

Delvin Rodriguez could be a possibility.

Randall Bailey and Junior Witter recently moved up to Welterweight.

Maybe Zab Judah is now desperate enough to accept this sort of challenge.

Clottey would be a good choice.

How bout a 3rd fight with Quintana?

Luis Collazo or even IBF Champ Jan Zaveck would also be good.

Gomez, Judah, Witter, or Bailey would be a waste IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 1:10 am

Luis Collazo moved up to Jr Middleweight, I never thought about a grudge match between Paul and Carlos, not sure if HBO would accept it.
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 1:17 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
Luis Collazo moved up to Jr Middleweight, I never thought about a grudge match between Paul and Carlos, not sure if HBO would accept it.

Was it because he cant make 147 anymore? Cuz im sure he wouldnt turn down an HBO fight. And is it me or does he deserve to be on a milk carton?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 1:18 am

Luis had the chance to face Aydin for the bogus Silver WBC trinket, he declined claiming he could no longer make the limit.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 10:25 am

I thought about Collazo, but he did move up to 154. That's the thing, I could even understand if he(Williams) moved to 154 and said that's where he wants to campaign, but 147?

I really doubt he'll land Mosley, Cotto or Berto, so what's the point?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader   Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader Empty

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams could appear on a doubleheader
Page 1 of 1