Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jimmy McLarin

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

Jimmy McLarin Empty
PostSubject: Jimmy McLarin   Jimmy McLarin EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 12:17 pm

i dont know how long ago i did sandy saddler but this is the next fighter that we are going to talk about and learn about.

i dont know a whole lot about mclarin. i know that he fought some tough competition at the end of his career and did pretty well considering the people he fought. he beat benny leonard, went 1-2 with barney ross, went 1-1 with tony canzoneri, beat young corbett III, and beat lou ambers. thats a pretty good resume for your last 8 out of 9 fights.

i dont know too much else about him. i guess thats why im picking him. give me your knowledge!
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

Jimmy McLarin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimmy McLarin   Jimmy McLarin EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 4:33 pm

power puncher another great choice..jimmy should be on everyones list as one of the ten greatest welters of all time..he had a powerfull right hand and was a terrfic puncher with it but hurt it several times in his career..well conditioned and a good boxer-puncher as well..he like many of that era fought the whos who of boxing..yes the fighters you mentioned as well as future hofamer jackie fields early in fields career .ditto another great in fidel labarbra..al singer sammy mandell also a hofamner as well as ruby goldstein and hofamer bud taylor..
he was canadian born migrated i think to the usa in his teens.excellent chin fabulous balance good defense an educated left hand.
he started out i believe as a featherweight and in all honesty his resume exceeds anyone fighting today by far..i think his last several fights were all against HOFAMERS.stylewise and what he could do in the ring i see him beating both manny pac and floyd..yes some folks may be shocked by that statement but the reason is hes faced fighters that did what they could do and there best qualites and thoses fighters did it at least as good if not a hair better than floyd and manny..
he is one of the greats rarely talked about indeed and because of that hes on my list of the top 10 or 12 of the most underated fighters in boxing..his record is a good one very good but by todays standards and fight fans not educated in boxing history would say whats the big deal about this guy.....look at who he fought..barney ross who threw a lot of punches at you and whos footwork and ring intelligence truly was better than floyds..canzanerri knew all the tricks in the book a cutie who could do it all..although benny leanard was past his peak none the less he was still a very good fighter.in his heyday was a far more complete fighter than anyone of the past 25 years with ease..
jimmy was tough and combine that with good power in his right hand a educated left hand solid defense andwhen you fought him you met a fighter that was a well rounded complete fighter..in order to beat him you had to be a all time great yourself..he was that good..my dad saw him fight 3 or 4 times and said it was a pleasure watching a guy who mastered soo many things ...great choice..keep the series up.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Jimmy McLarin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimmy McLarin   Jimmy McLarin EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 4:42 pm

i think he also fought hofamer billy petrolle 3 or 4 times..dam
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Jimmy McLarin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimmy McLarin   Jimmy McLarin EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 4:58 pm

this guy was the Jewish executioner even though he didnt like that nickname, beat down an older Benny Leonard, guy could crack like a mule, went to war with Barney Ross, good irish fighter, fierce right hand

i consider Benny Leonard, Barney Ross, Abe Attell, Maxi Rosenbloom, and Daniel Mendoza to be the 5 best jewish fighters ever, pretty telling that he beat 2 of them.

add in his win over Pancho Villa
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

Jimmy McLarin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimmy McLarin   Jimmy McLarin EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 8:01 pm

good stuff. ive seen him fight a little bit but not a ton so i havent examined his fighting like i have with other boxers. ill definitely have to watch his fights more closely now.

doesnt he not have a lot of KO'd or am i mistaken? i was just wondering because both dmar and bird said that he had good power. so maybe its like what dmar said and he just had a fragile right hand.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Jimmy McLarin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimmy McLarin   Jimmy McLarin EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 8:58 pm

powerpuncher yes jimmy had terrific power in the right hand and yes fragile is one reason for not a big ko percentage..another is if you fight a barney ross 3 times a billy petrolle 3 times also a sammy mandel and bud taylor 3 times each a pancho villa a fidel labarbra a few times a lou brouliard etc etc your not going to get a lot of kos..
also sometimes a ko percentage thats considered a little low doesnt mean a guy cant punch..case in point was joey giardello..a terrific left hook and had much more pop over the keep you honest type of pop yet a low ko percentage ...a perfect example is carmen basilio who had perhaps the best left hook of them all and not only was a awsome body puncher with both hands but a terrific puncher..ill go on record and say he hit as hard or harder than any welter today yet his ko percentage is not a high one..sometimes oddly that happens..
another case in point was clevland williams..a soo called reputation of a great puncher but i feel otherwise..he koed stiffs and when he fought top contenders he got koed or lost via the route.koed no one.the only guy he stoped was earnie terrell via a tko early in ernies career..he later lost a UD in one of the most boring fights i ever saw..great ko artist..i dont think so at all..yet the percentage says yes.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Jimmy McLarin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimmy McLarin   Jimmy McLarin EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 9:00 pm

great points dmar

alot of people have this misconception that gene Tunney couldnt punch

tell that to Jack Dempsey
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

Jimmy McLarin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimmy McLarin   Jimmy McLarin EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 10:25 pm