Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to fix the ring paint?

Go down 
+5
captainanddew
boxinglawyer
hardcoreBEE24
dmar5143
Birdofthad
9 posters
AuthorMessage

How to fix the ring paint? Empty
PostSubject: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 6:17 pm

I've been aware of the ring paint changing the course of fights since Cotto-Clottey. As we saw this weekend, guys slipping on those slick advertisements can mess up a good fight. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I think somehow, something can be done with holograms or projections but I'm not sure on specifics.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Whitaker slipped on it as well vs De La Hoya

way to fix it

dont paint the fucking ring canvas the day of the fight for 1
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:42 pm

just dont paint the ring period..
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:46 pm

Lighting technicians can do wonders with filters and various lights to create the same effect as paint. In between rounds they could do sort of animation as well. That ring paint is the worst. I wonder if they could dye the canvas to what the sponsors want? I believe that would solve the problem as well.
Back to top Go down
boxinglawyer
White Belt
White Belt

PostSubject: Re: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 8:58 pm

The best solution I have heard is to do what they did in the 60's when they painted around swimming pools. Mix sand with the paint, which gives it a very rough and tractionable surface. Downside is that it IS abrasive. Then again, the object is to keep your face OFF the canvas and your feet on it.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 9:33 pm

lol, that would be sweet, someone going down and messing up their face on the canvas.

But something needs to be done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 10:15 pm

what about Fatheads?
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 10:23 pm

Gumby wrote:
what about Fatheads?

They dont provide any grip.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 11:52 pm

How hard would it be to make a big sticker out of a material with a small amount of grade to provide traction, or have the canvas made with the graphics included? What does the UFC do? I've never seen a slip on a graphic in a UFC fight...
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 11:57 pm

UFC used to paint day before event, sure thats what they still do but could be wrong
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 am

Gumby wrote:
I've been aware of the ring paint changing the course of fights since Cotto-Clottey. As we saw this weekend, guys slipping on those slick advertisements can mess up a good fight. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I think somehow, something can be done with holograms or projections but I'm not sure on specifics.

That's how they do ads on backstops in baseball. No idea the cost though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
How hard would it be to make a big sticker out of a material with a small amount of grade to provide traction, or have the canvas made with the graphics included? What does the UFC do? I've never seen a slip on a graphic in a UFC fight...
They are barefoot and most of the time they are already on the ground anyways.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 12:37 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Cant they just add in a graphic on the TV and not do anything to the ring. YOU know like they add the yellow line in football. Just add a graphic on the TV that is not really there in person. Does that make since?
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: How to fix the ring paint?   How to fix the ring paint? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 3:18 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Gumby wrote:

They use a green screen just like every local weather man does. It's called a "Chroma Key". I think that the shadows of the fighters would screw it up if they did it that way. I don't know that for sure. I like the idea though.

Check this out: