Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made

Go down 
+8
Birdofthad
NBrooks5
NJBeatdown86
Diego408
gomez1012
Canvas
freddie1437
dbudge87
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made Empty
PostSubject: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 8:33 am

According to The Sun, WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan has offered former champion Joel Casamayor a sum of £400,000 to fight him at London's O2 on July 31. Golden Boy Promotions plans to package the fight with the Juan Manuel Marquez-Juan Diaz HBO pay-per-view, which airs the same day.

Khan's first choice, Marcos Maidana, is dealing with a back injury. Michael Katsidis was also considered but he comes at a much higher price than Casamayor.

"It's about getting the timing right. I'll fight anyone but a lot of guys are busy," Khan told the paper

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=28241

Former two division champion Joel Casamayor (37-4, 22KOs) and co-manager Luis DeCubas Jr. reached out to BoxingScene.com to set the record straight on all of the rumors pertaining to a possible fight with WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan (23-1, 17KOs).

According to DeCubas, the fight between Khan and Casamayor is very close to being finalized for July 31 in England. Casamayor has accepted the fight, although the money being negotiated is lower than the amount of £400000 being reported by some of the UK papers.

DeCubas and co-manager Walter Kane are in the process of finalizing the details with Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer. Khan-Casamayor will indeed be packaged, likely on a delayed basis, with the Juan Manuel Marquez-Juan Diaz HBO pay-per-view, which takes place on July 31 in Las Vegas.

Casamayor has vowed to emulate Breidis Prescott, who scored a brutal 54-second knockout over Khan in 2008. The 1992 Olympic gold medal winner is irritated with some of comments being put out there in the press where people are underestimating his chances based on age.

"July 31 is a go. Come July 31 lightning is going to strike twice because I'm going to knock Amir Khan out dead," Casamayor said. "I want to let the people know that I'm up for this fight."

"A lot of people are putting bad things out there. Timothy Bradley, [Marcos] Maidana and [Devon] Alexander, these guys have done nothing for this sport. What have they done for this sport? I'm a four-time world champ in two weight classes. Amir Khan has done nothing either and come July 31st I'm going to prove that he's a nobody."

DeCubas tells BoxingScene that Casamayor has already begun to train for the big opportunity.

"July 31st is basically the date that we're fighting Amir Khan. They money hasn't really been squared away 100%. We're working on that now. But Joel is going. Joel is training and he's ready to go," DeCubas said. "Joel has put his time in the game and he's going to prove it on July 31st."

During Khan's pre-fight hype for last month's bout with Paulie Malignaggi, there was a lot of trash talking going on. DeCubas is not concerned about any of the pre-fight antics coming from Khan or his team.

"Do you think Amir Khan can play head games with Casamayor? Casamayor played head games with [Dieogo] Corrales and real fighters. Not made up stars," DeCubas said.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=28251

Last edited by Ali_1748 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 8:33 am

I'd rather have a Katsidis fight but at least Khan's keeping busy.
Back to top Go down
dbudge87
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 10:04 am

it's a good name on his record though. Casamayor is a seasoned and awkward opponent, i believe it would be a good learning curve for Amir as i doubt he will be utterly dominant unless of course Joel is totally shot. he needs somebody who will ask him some questions because his last 5 opponents haven't got near him
Back to top Go down
freddie1437
White Belt
White Belt
freddie1437

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, JMM, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 10:28 am

You know, you can't blame Amir, it's clear that he will fight anyone! I am wondering how much Roach has helped with his confidence? Good fight for Amir, a seasoned vet who he should dominate because of his speed and power.
Back to top Go down
dbudge87
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 10:36 am

easy Freddie, s'appening rudeboy! i said it last year and nobody believed me, this guy is heading for the very top, i believe he has the potential, team, and ability to be the Best British born Boxer of the post World War II era, and it's good for the sport that he is happy to face all comers. he could end up getting a shot at Mayweather in a couple of years, Mayweather has on numerous occasions stated he wants to fight in England and a Mayweather vs Khan fight could easily break gate records in the UK
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 11:23 am

Disappointing opponent at this stage. Just pay Katsidis. Casa is shot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 12:02 pm

Updated.

The fight looks pretty much done and dusted.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 12:20 pm

Canvas wrote:
Disappointing opponent at this stage. Just pay Katsidis. Casa is shot.

And GBP risk Khan getting KO'd again? Laughing

Casa can counter real well, has that dirty vet style, and who knows he might catch Amir

Still though, Khan a huge favorite in this
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Casa did knock Katsidis into a coma after all.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 2:56 pm

This fight will most likely happen because thats a shot at a belt and a lot fo money for Casamayor. its either Guerrrero or Khan for Casa and Khan is the fight that benifits him the most. If this fight gets made, I wonder who Guerrero will fight on July 31? hes set to fight in the undercard of JMM-Diaz, but I think he'll end up fighting another bum and then fighting for the lightweight belts of Marquez later this year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Diego408 wrote:
This fight will most likely happen because thats a shot at a belt and a lot fo money for Casamayor. its either Guerrrero or Khan for Casa and Khan is the fight that benifits him the most. If this fight gets made, I wonder who Guerrero will fight on July 31? hes set to fight in the undercard of JMM-Diaz, but I think he'll end up fighting another bum and then fighting for the lightweight belts of Marquez later this year.

I'd rather see Katsidis get the first shot at JMM, nothing against Guerrero I just don't think he's earned a shot at the Lightweight champion.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 3:06 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
I'd rather see Katsidis get the first shot at JMM, nothing against Guerrero I just don't think he's earned a shot at the Lightweight champion.

+1

Just read the following about Khan's next bout:
according to a few sources...Amir Khan is scheduled to return on July 31st, but I hear nothing is finalized. The names being thrown around are Joel Casamayor, Michael Katsidis and John Murray. Richard Schaefer will be flying to England next week to discuss those options with the Khan clan

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/promo-lead/elegele-and-cherry-tkos-tampa-two

My guess, Khan ends up fighting Murray or Casamayor

Guerrero probably ends up fighting Rocky Juarez
Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made 101692-8173-LG

Or someother GBP retread
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Another smart move by Khan. A win that will look good on the resume years down the line. Does Casa have anything left? I didn't see his last fight.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 3:09 pm

I would actually like to see Khan fight Murray instead. Its a more meaningful fight and it will be a huge event because it will be two young figters from the UK fighting each other in a world championship bout.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 3:12 pm

I watched Murray's last fight and I wasn't blown away, he'd be better facing Mitchell.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 3:49 pm

Casa looked bad in his "comeback" fight, he barely squeaked out the decision. Easy pay day for Khan, my guess is that he'll maybe get one of the other "Big 4" next year, take a fight against Kat or Murray in the late fall/winter.
Back to top Go down
freddie1437
White Belt
White Belt
freddie1437

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, JMM, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 4:33 pm

dbudge87 wrote:
easy Freddie, s'appening rudeboy! i said it last year and nobody believed me, this guy is heading for the very top, i believe he has the potential, team, and ability to be the Best British born Boxer of the post World War II era, and it's good for the sport that he is happy to face all comers. he could end up getting a shot at Mayweather in a couple of years, Mayweather has on numerous occasions stated he wants to fight in England and a Mayweather vs Khan fight could easily break gate records in the UK

He's definitely made me a believer, he can box like no other! I can't wait to see him with the likes of Bradley or Alexander! Good fights!
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny, JMM, Casamayor and Katsidis

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 5:46 pm

This is bad news.

Casa is in for a whooping. The only reason he's fighting at 140 is because he's 38. He should be at 135 but isn't interested in putting the work in to get to 135.

Freddie keeps finding these name opponents who aren't threats for his guys.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 5:47 pm

Im gonna take Joel
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 5:51 pm

I think this is a legit fight for a younger guy. Maybe he'll learn something from an old warhorse. But I can't see Casamyor staying with him for more than 6-7 rounds at this point. I think he's pretty used up.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 5:53 pm

all i know is Khan better be ready for Mr Dirty cause Casa is great at fighting dirty
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny, JMM, Casamayor and Katsidis

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 5:59 pm

Yeah, but when all is said and done its pretty much just a young welterweight against an old lightweight.

I'll take the bigger guy nine out of ten.
Back to top Go down
Mightytitan5
Mightytitan5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Paul Williams, Chad Dawson, Miguel Cotto, JMM

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 6:09 pm

Golden Boy never surprises me, why not Lamont Peterson v Khan............They are really protecting this kid.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 6:15 pm

Mightytitan5 wrote:
Golden Boy never surprises me, why not Lamont Peterson v Khan............They are really protecting this kid.

+1
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 6:55 pm

A pointless fight. A smaller fighter who is older than dirt. A guy who got KO'd and then looked bad in his comeback fight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made   Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made Empty

Back to top Go down

Joel Casamayor vs Amir Khan close to being made
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next