Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I'm picking Rashad

Go down 
+15
acccardinal12
boomer sooner
bobbitt15
KingsOwn19
GDPofDRC
SOKO
Cu Bu
Bigs03
oggy420
Wolfgangsta
captain organic
MMAEYES
OU
josh200612
NoRegret
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:16 pm

To wear Rampage down on the ground he would have to a) get him there and b) keep him there, neither of which is going to happen
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:32 pm

Page is pretty black-athletic too. His athleticism carried his whole career because if you looked at his technique in Pride it sure as fuck wasn't that. If there was ever a fighter that summed up the stereotype of the black athletic fighter short on actual skills it's Rampage.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:34 pm

why are u racist crackers bringing up race anyways?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Yo, after the comments by both fighters during the lead up to this, I think it's fair game don't you?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Rampage is an Uncle Tom
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:37 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Yo, after the comments by both fighters during the lead up to this, I think it's fair game don't you?

Only if you are black yourself Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:39 pm

SOONERS let me guess, you're white, raised "white" and had white friends as a small child, but now you prefer rap, have black friends, or at least friends who think they're black?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:40 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
SOONERS let me guess, you're white, raised "white" and had white friends as a small child, but now you prefer rap, have black friends, or at least friends who think they're black?

Easy bud, I was just fucking with you. Geez Wolfmister.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:42 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Page is pretty black-athletic too. His athleticism carried his whole career because if you looked at his technique in Pride it sure as fuck wasn't that. If there was ever a fighter that summed up the stereotype of the black athletic fighter short on actual skills it's Rampage.

I dunno, Page was super strong, but he was never super athletic. Hand speed has been a criticism. that's very much against the stereotype.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Good point about the speed issue, but he has always been a powerful fighter that used raw strength over technique. I bet his hand speed would have been a lot better if he got with a boxing coach before he was close to 30. Just because he ran across guys who were both athletic and skilled doesn't mean he wasn't.

Also, sooners, I was fucking with you too, and did I get the profile right? I'm sure I did.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:51 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Good point about the speed issue, but he has always been a powerful fighter that used raw strength over technique. I bet his hand speed would have been a lot better if he got with a boxing coach before he was close to 30. Just because he ran across guys who were both athletic and skilled doesn't mean he wasn't.

Also, sooners, I was fucking with you too, and did I get the profile right? I'm sure I did.

Part of it(listening to rap part). I actually had more black friends when I was younger, but I was much more active in sports. But I do listen to rap now, but in no way shape or form look, act, talk, think I'm black. I'm still as white as I ever was.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:57 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:

but white dudes are known to have brute strength.

Hand speed can be improved a bit, but a boxing coach will never make a guy go from average to high level.

When I think of the black stereotype it's typically speed, quickness, bounce. Not to say that power is not included, but typicallythat is not the difference between the black athlete and the white athlete.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 8:26 am

"It's interesting to see if Rashad has come all the way back from the knockout from Machida and psychologically how he's feeling about that. With a guy like Rampage who's a banger, he can hit. Both guys have the common fight with Chuck, similar outcomes.

"I think Rashad’s wrestling is stronger than Rampage’s. We saw Henderson control the early part of that fight with Rampage using some wrestling. So Rashad has that capability. Although until his last fight we hadn't seen that from him. He tries to stand and bang with everybody."

"I think if Rashad goes out and uses, implements the All-American wrestling that he has, he can make it a long night for Rampage."

Randy confirming my fears.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:26 am

Rashad is going to win a comfortable decision or possibly wear down Quiton for a stoppage.
Lets not forget the rust Rampage probably has, he's not fought since March last year. As long as Rashad doesn't get careless he should dominate Rampage.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:20 am

OUSOONERSOU wrote:

I brought it up cause its an old joke with my friends. Started when someone (outside of our group) said so and so was awesome.. why? well he is black and super atheletic! So when we are breaking down fights we might say Melvin Guillard wins by Black Athleticness
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:23 am

Cu Bua wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:

I brought it up cause its an old joke with my friends. Started when someone (outside of our group) said so and so was awesome.. why? well he is black and super atheletic! So when we are breaking down fights we might say Melvin Guillard wins by Black Athleticness

lol that's cool. I was just joking anyways.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 11:14 am

MMAEYES wrote:
"It's interesting to see if Rashad has come all the way back from the knockout from Machida and psychologically how he's feeling about that. With a guy like Rampage who's a banger, he can hit. Both guys have the common fight with Chuck, similar outcomes.

"I think Rashad’s wrestling is stronger than Rampage’s. We saw Henderson control the early part of that fight with Rampage using some wrestling. So Rashad has that capability. Although until his last fight we hadn't seen that from him. He tries to stand and bang with everybody."

"I think if Rashad goes out and uses, implements the All-American wrestling that he has, he can make it a long night for Rampage."

Randy confirming my fears.

I've never seen someone's wrestling be so overrated coming into a fight before. Rampage fuckin outwrestled Dan Henderson and has been in there with way bigger stronger wrestlers than Rashad. Evans is the most overrated LHW in our top 10
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 11:24 am

I think Page has great punching power, but people are acting like he's Shane Carwin. He couldn't finish Jardine or Forrest, when both have suspect chins and he actually landed several clean shots. The only two guys he's KO'd lately were Wanderlei and Chuck. Both hung their chins out to be blasted at too by the way. I think the hype is running away a little with his power.

'Shad has only been KO'd once and it was after taking a barrage from Machida -- no shame there. Is his chin granite? No, but it's tougher than Keith or Forrest's.

Rampage has incredible wrestling. I know he doesn't have an Olympic or even a division one pedigree, but I saw him stuff Randleman over and over again, and saw him keep pace with Lindland and Hendo. The dude can definitely wrestle with the best of them in this division so 'Shad had better not rely on this. But I will say rolling with guys like Dan Cormier, Shane Carwin, Jon Jones and King Mo should make him scary on the mat.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 12:28 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Rampage fuckin outwrestled Dan Henderson

I'll have to watch that fight again. I could have sworn I saw Hendo put Rampage in some bad spots with his wrestling. I know I saw Hendo in side control on Page. I felt like Hendo went away fom his wrestling as the fight went on as it turned more and more into a brawl with Quinton winning most of the exchanges. Maybe your right I'd have to watch Hendo/Page again.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 1:06 pm

I am thinking Rashad is gonna win more and more. I hope I am wrong. I see him trying to play it safe and get the judges decision. If he tries to stand up Page will KO him.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Well Rashad will stand with 'Page, but he won't hang his chin out like Chuck and Wanderlei. He'll pick his shots by coming quickly in and out, and will secure a takedown or two each round when 'Page doesn't expect it. I predict a pretty easy three round decision.

Also, I noted Dan Comier wrote that there is no way that Quinton could take Rashad down. Not that Quinton will try to, but Rashad has gotten some very high praise from two of the sport's greatest wrestlers in Cormier and Lawal.
Back to top Go down
r3dman7630
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
r3dman7630

Favorite Fighter(s) : Hendo, Fedor, Big Nog, Couture, Shogun, Gomi, Carrano, any one who fights Brock! and all the underdogs....

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 3:41 pm

His wrestling is def not overrated....dats how he won the ult fighter. havent really used much last couple fights cause hes been standing. Agree that he may play it safe an go for a decision and that is gonna frustrate Jackson. Frustrate him to the point of maybe comin in sloppy and gettin caught....Shad tko 2nd round.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 3:42 pm

That's because King Mo can't stand Rampage and therefore is acting like he has no chance to win and Cormier and Mo are best friends. Like you said its irrelevant anyway since Rampage won't be trying to take him down
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Cormier, Mo and Rashad formed a new team together last year. I am starting to lose track of everyone Rashad wrestles with but I assume GSP, Bones, Mo, Cormier and Carwin are all training partners of his.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 3:50 pm

MMAEYES wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
Rampage fuckin outwrestled Dan Henderson

I'll have to watch that fight again. I could have sworn I saw Hendo put Rampage in some bad spots with his wrestling. I know I saw Hendo in side control on Page. I felt like Hendo went away fom his wrestling as the fight went on as it turned more and more into a brawl with Quinton winning most of the exchanges. Maybe your right I'd have to watch Hendo/Page again.

He did have Page in side control and took him down in that fight, the point is he couldn't keep him there and Rampage had some good scrambles to get top position on Hendo too. Rashad has a non existent top game, the only thing he can do is take people down and then wait for them to power back to their feet
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm picking Rashad   I'm picking Rashad - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm picking Rashad
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next