Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame Empty
PostSubject: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame EmptySat May 22, 2010 1:27 pm

boxing like baseball has a 5 year waiting period of retirement before you are eligable for the hall of fame..every player who has that requirement plus 10 years of playing time is eligable to be on the ballot...i realize boxing may not have any lenth of career in years type of thing or a minimum fight requirement perhaps but heres my questions...how do you get on the ballot..if every fighter thats retired for 5 years are all on the ballot or is there a guidline for someone other than that to be on the ballot.2.in baseball a writer can select if he wishes up to 10 names he can cast a vote for..does boxing have a limit on how many you can vote for.3. to remain on the ballot in BB a player needs a minimum amount of votes percentage wise and after 15 years if not elected your off the ballot..does boxing have a minimum percentage to stay eligable or a time limit also...does anyone know for sure what are the guidelines for the bhof outside the 5 year period if any...i dont know at all...
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame EmptySat May 22, 2010 1:37 pm

I think the 5 year period is the only solid criteria.

I believe it's a board of directors that chooses whomever they like year in and year out. I've searched quite a bit for induction guidelines but details are pretty much nonexistent.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame EmptySat May 22, 2010 1:38 pm

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:

I believe it's a board of directors that chooses whomever they like year in and year out. I've searched quite a bit for induction guidelines but details are pretty much nonexistent.
That's why damn nearly everyone gets in. LOL
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame EmptySat May 22, 2010 1:42 pm

i do know qualified boxing writers have a vote...dan rapheal has one..thats all i know..its amazing krazyhourse that theres nothing on the internet per your search...frank yes how some fighters got in amazes me and how some are not in like many great old timers suprizes me...ingemar please...
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame EmptySat May 22, 2010 1:45 pm

[quote="dmar5143"]i do know qualified boxing writers have a vote...dan rapheal has one..thats all i know..its amazing krazyhourse that theres nothing on the internet per your search...frank yes how some fighters got in amazes me and how some are not in like many great old timers suprizes me...ingemar please...[/quote] damar, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Ken Norton is in there too. It never stops.
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame EmptySat May 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Curtis Cokes.

Good fighter but is he really HOF worthy? I say no way.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame EmptySat May 22, 2010 1:51 pm

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
Curtis Cokes.

Good fighter but is he really HOF worthy? I say no way.
Good call. Boxing has produced more incredible athletes/artists than any other sport if you ask me. There's plenty of great figthers that can fill up the hall without putting unworthy fighters in there.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame EmptySat May 22, 2010 2:03 pm

true frank..jose torres is another..good is one thing but like you in my mind good is never hof in boxing..great is or near great.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame EmptySat May 22, 2010 2:06 pm

pipino chevas is another...why..he had a good run for maybe 2 years...not hof..
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame EmptySat May 22, 2010 2:08 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
Agreed. Wars with Pete Ranzany do not a hall of fame fighter make.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame EmptySat May 22, 2010 2:32 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
boxing like baseball has a 5 year waiting period of retirement before you are eligable for the hall of fame..every player who has that requirement plus 10 years of playing time is eligable to be on the ballot...i realize boxing may not have any lenth of career in years type of thing or a minimum fight requirement perhaps but heres my questions...how do you get on the ballot..if every fighter thats retired for 5 years are all on the ballot or is there a guidline for someone other than that to be on the ballot.2.in baseball a writer can select if he wishes up to 10 names he can cast a vote for..does boxing have a limit on how many you can vote for.3. to remain on the ballot in BB a player needs a minimum amount of votes percentage wise and after 15 years if not elected your off the ballot..does boxing have a minimum percentage to stay eligable or a time limit also...does anyone know for sure what are the guidelines for the bhof outside the 5 year period if any...i dont know at all...

Five years after retirment is the only one. Here is the problem though. The Hall MANDATES four inductions from the post 1943 "Modern Era" every single year. While there are certainly some mistakes in there now (Barry McGuigan, Terry Norris, Edwin Rosario and a few others) think about this.

Over the next decade FORTY fighters who are now active or recently retired MUST be inducted. I can't think of more than maybe 15 who warrant it. The Hall, unless the rules change, is going to become very badly diluted bu merely good fighters.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame EmptySat May 22, 2010 2:32 pm

dmar5143 wrote:

I dunno, that title run looks just like Mike Tyson's to me.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame EmptySat May 22, 2010 2:34 pm

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:

No it is a vote of boxing writers/broadcasters/HOF memebers IIRC
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame   Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame Empty

Back to top Go down

Is There a Crieteria For Boxing Hall of Fame
Page 1 of 1