Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Big Nog calls out Mir

Go down 
+9
GDPofDRC
captain organic
Farmer1906
timthebim
bobbitt15
thessy11
Wolfgangsta
GolbeZ
killerofchicken
13 posters
AuthorMessage
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

Big Nog calls out Mir Empty
PostSubject: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:12 pm

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira may be coming off the most devastating loss of his career after UFC heavyweight contender Cain Velasquez scored a first-round knockout over him at UFC 110, but the former champ isn't ready to hang up the gloves just yet.

In a recent interview with Tatame, Nogueira weighed in on his future with the UFC and said he's eager to get another crack at fellow former heavyweight champ Frank Mir, who defeated him via a decisive second-round TKO at UFC 92.

"I'd love a rematch against Mir, it is a fight I would like to do again," said Nogueira. "It would be a good fight, he is a high level athlete. I want it, for sure."

When you consider where both men are in their fighting careers, it's a bout that actually makes a lot of sense.

With Mir coming off a knockout loss to Shane Carwin and Nogueira struggling to stay relevant in the UFC's heavyweight class, a second fight between the two might go a long way toward determining which of the former champs has the brighter future.

It wasn't all that long ago that Nogueira was known as the man who simply couldn't be knocked out, no matter how much punishment he absorbed. But beginning with the loss to Mir, which many in the MMA world blamed on a staph infection that had plagued the Brazilian prior to the bout, Nogueira has recently looked far more mortal in the cage.

Since neither man is anywhere close the challenging for the title again, what better way to let them each try and prove that they're still top ten heavyweights by matching them up together one more time?

Nogueira obviously wants a chance to avenge the loss. Something tells me Mir probably wouldn't mind an opportunity to show all the naysayers that his first win over "Minotauro" wasn't simply the result of catching him on a bad night.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/05/10/antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-calls-for-rematch-with-frank-mir/
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:14 pm

I will pass. Frank will KO him again.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:17 pm

Nog via upset.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:21 pm

i'd like to see it, they're both coming off major losses, a win for either would put them back in contention.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:28 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
i'd like to see it, they're both coming off major losses, a win for either would put them back in contention.

Frank beating Nog wouldn't do much for Frank's contention.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:28 pm

other than not coming off a L anymore.
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyMon May 10, 2010 10:24 pm

These kind of rematches should be avoided unless there are few logical alternatives.

The first fight was not close and Mir is still one step above Nog on the HW ladder. The fight only makes sense to Nog, and Nog fans who are still clinging to the excuses (whether valid or not) for his performance in their first match.

Edit: typo

Last edited by thessy11 on Mon May 10, 2010 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyMon May 10, 2010 10:26 pm

I'd rather not see Nog lose to Mir again
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyMon May 10, 2010 11:01 pm

killerofchicken wrote:

Nog will never be in contention again in my opion. He was destroyed by Mir then had a great back and fourth with Randy in a close fight then fought Cain and was knocked out of this world! A win puts him no where near a title shot.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyMon May 10, 2010 11:59 pm

I don't think Nog or Mir will be in contention any time soon if ever.

This fight is for pure entertainment and to settle the argument from their last fight.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:06 am

I like the fight. because of the staph there are def questions surrounding the 1st fight, and both are coming off crushing defeats. Both have won only one of their last 3 each getting KO'd in their 2 losses. Not sure why people see this as such a gimme/little to win scenario for Mir.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:09 am

Mir just lost an interim title bout, now he's totally out of the contention picture? This win plus one more prob gets him another title fight.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyTue May 11, 2010 1:28 am

Not enough upside for the winner (other than redemption) and too much downside for the loser. Would have to go Mir by tko though. Think Nog has seen his best days, his fight with Randy was not his best day.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyTue May 11, 2010 8:32 am

nog cant afford to lose his next fight and mir would be a bad fight for him but I wouldnt mind wathching it again to see if it was a fluke or not but I think mir is just too much for nog at this point.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyTue May 11, 2010 9:28 am

sokolkevin wrote:
nog cant afford to lose his next fight and mir would be a bad fight for him but I wouldnt mind wathching it again to see if it was a fluke or not but I think mir is just too much for nog at this point.

Exactly what I was thinking. Nog takes another loss right now and he might as well call it quits. He cannot afford a loss right now.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyTue May 11, 2010 9:48 am

I'm worried Nog is gonna hang on too long like Saku. I don't wanna see that.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyTue May 11, 2010 11:36 am

I'd love this fight because of all the excuses people were making for Nog after their first fight. Mir wins by TKO. Sorry but Nog isn't fast or strong enough to hang with Mir anymore and he's I don't think he can sub a guy with Mir's level of BJJ. Not a good fight for Nog at all.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyTue May 11, 2010 11:43 am

Bigs03 wrote:
I'd love this fight because of all the excuses people were making for Nog after their first fight. Mir wins by TKO. Sorry but Nog isn't fast or strong enough to hang with Mir anymore and he's I don't think he can sub a guy with Mir's level of BJJ. Not a good fight for Nog at all.

Ehh, I think the fight would be very competitive. I could be wrong but I think the rematch would be a very good fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:02 pm

Bring it on, this time Mir will knockout Big Nog and his fans won't be able to use the staph infection excuse.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:17 pm

I think Mir should be the obvious favorite, but I don't think its as one sided as some think.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir EmptyTue May 11, 2010 1:31 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
sokolkevin wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. Nog takes another loss right now and he might as well call it quits. He cannot afford a loss right now.

but Nog is the one that wants the fight, he doesn't want to be pampered, a fight with Mir is by no means an automatic loss, not sure what the problem here is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Nog calls out Mir   Big Nog calls out Mir Empty

Back to top Go down

Big Nog calls out Mir
Page 1 of 1