Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lennox Lewis released by HBO

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

Lennox Lewis released by HBO Empty
PostSubject: Lennox Lewis released by HBO   Lennox Lewis released by HBO EmptyFri May 07, 2010 8:31 pm

Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis, a staple at ringside as an analyst for HBO's "Boxing After Dark" series since 2006, has been let go by the network.

Lewis, who did not return telephone messages, worked his final broadcast on April 24 when he was part of the telecast headlined by the Tomasz Adamek-Cristobal Arreola heavyweight fight.

"After four years with HBO's 'Boxing After Dark,' Lennox Lewis will be leaving his post as commentator to begin fundraising efforts for his international training academy," HBO said in a statement attributed to Lewis's handlers. "Lennox is looking forward to developing a state of the art training facility for young boxers to improve their competitiveness in professional competition. Lewis also continues to explore innovative business ventures and film and television projects."

Multiple sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com that leaving was not Lewis' decision and the network did not want him back. Lewis, who was heavily criticized for his on-air style, was informed of the decision late last week.

His contract expired and he was not offered a new deal, according to sources.

Lewis, 44, was three times a heavyweight champion, including becoming undisputed champion in 1999 when he outpointed Evander Holyfield in a rematch of their controversial draw. He defended the title with a sixth-round TKO of Vitali Klitschko in June 2003 and announced his retirement in early 2004.

In mid-2006, he was hired by HBO, for which he had been a cornerstone fighter for many years, to serve as an expert commentator on "Boxing After Dark" working alongside blow-by-blow announcer Bob Papa and analyst Max Kellerman.

Lewis (41-2-1, 32 KOs) won a 1988 Olympic gold medalist for Canada and was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2009, his first year of eligibility.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5172002

I didnt think he was that bad but come to find out they thought he sucked and released him after 4 years on the job.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Lennox Lewis released by HBO   Lennox Lewis released by HBO EmptyFri May 07, 2010 8:34 pm

LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lennox Lewis released by HBO   Lennox Lewis released by HBO EmptyFri May 07, 2010 8:40 pm

I know everyone likes to criticize his broadcasting skills, but I could bear with him. There are alot worse commentators out there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lennox Lewis released by HBO   Lennox Lewis released by HBO EmptyFri May 07, 2010 11:23 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
I know everyone likes to criticize his broadcasting skills, but I could bear with him. There are alot worse commentators out there.
No there is only 1 worse commentator out there. He also works for HBO.
Back to top Go down
Deezy0814
Green Belt
Green Belt
Deezy0814

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Lennox Lewis released by HBO   Lennox Lewis released by HBO EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:58 am

soonner i to ask just because i think he's not that bad of a fighter but do you have a man crush on allan green?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Lennox Lewis released by HBO   Lennox Lewis released by HBO EmptySat May 08, 2010 1:02 am

I thought Lennox was a fine commentator

sad to hear this

generic nut huggers like Kellerman and Lampley stick around while guys that called it down the line like Foreman, Lewis , and hell even Roy Jones get the boot. (even though I didnt mind when Roy got the boot)

This fucking sucks honestly, cause Papa is just a 2nd tier guy and always will be IMO, Kellerman annoys the shit outta me, Lampley rides way to many fighters nuts, and I love Larry he was my favorite but he is only getting older.

Hope this can only mean more of Steward

Can I say, boo on HBO for never having Steward and Lewis on a broadcast once, WOuld have been fun to hear trainer and student on the air callin a fight
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Lennox Lewis released by HBO   Lennox Lewis released by HBO EmptySat May 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Lennox always sounded like a bumbling moron to me. It was too hard for him to convey anything of intelligence. Tarver already sounds like 10x the analyst that Lennox was. I really don't like any of the guys on HBO. Steward irritates the fuck out of me.
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Lennox Lewis released by HBO   Lennox Lewis released by HBO EmptySat May 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Lennox Lewis once used the work 'tooken'. lol!

Anyone remember when Mike Tyson did the Simpn Brown-Buddy McGirt fight? He was actually pretty damn good. Unfortunately he's too up-and-down in his life to be seriously considered for a full time gig.

Apparently Freddie Roach is taking Lewis' spot. Not sure if I like that.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Lennox Lewis released by HBO   Lennox Lewis released by HBO EmptySat May 08, 2010 8:54 pm

fuck that Freddie Roach is an annoying dick rider

bobbitt, I think Tarver is gonna be a great commentator and have a long career, that guy is very articulate, polite, and can say what he is seeing instantly. bet he is at hbo in couple years
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Lennox Lewis released by HBO   Lennox Lewis released by HBO EmptySat May 08, 2010 9:13 pm

I was going to say that in my post Bird. I expect to see him at HBO in the not too distant future as he keeps improving
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lennox Lewis released by HBO   Lennox Lewis released by HBO EmptySun May 09, 2010 10:24 am

Deezy0814 wrote:
soonner i to ask just because i think he's not that bad of a fighter but do you have a man crush on allan green?
LOL yes I do. Embarassed

No I am from Oklahoma and he is a local guy so I support him. I also really do think he is a great fighter and I think he will shock Ward.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lennox Lewis released by HBO   Lennox Lewis released by HBO Empty

Back to top Go down

Lennox Lewis released by HBO
Page 1 of 1