Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner Empty
PostSubject: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 9:45 pm

Evan Tanner . The name is all I need. No further explanation is needed. The guy always came to fight, compete, and give the fans their money worth.

In 1997 Evan Tanner entered the MMA world at Unified Shoot Wrestling Federation 4, which was a tournament. In the opening round Evan defeated Mike Kennedy with ease via submission in just over a minute. Next up was Gary Neighbors, he made it to the 2 minute mark and that was it as he got a nasty key lock slapped on him. In the finals Evan Tanner was facing Paul Buentello a heavyweight. After standing with Paul for a moment Evan took the game to the ground and got Pauls back for a RNC in just over 2 minutes. 3 fights, 1 night, 5 minutes.

At Unified Shoot Wrestling Federation 7 Evan Tanner faced Heath Herring another heavyweight. I have not seen this fight, but it went over 5 minutes and ended with Heath Herring tapping due to exhaustion.

Next Evan entered PSDA (no clue what that is) tournament. He beat Joe Frailey and Jesse Gonzalez in just over 2 minutes in the 1st and 2nd rounds. He faced Heath Herring in the finals. Like most Evan Tanner fights, it went to the ground. Only this time it was Herring who proved more prepared as he seemed to gas Tanner out, got Evans back, and got an RNC. It is Tanner's first loss in MMA. Tanner is 6-1 in his first year in MMA.

In Tanner's next 10 fights (all in 1998) Evan defeated such notable fighters as Ikuhisa Minowa, Justin McCully, Kiuma Kioniku, and Ryushi Yanasagiwa. He went 10-0 in this time, winning Gladiators 2 tournament (vs nobodies), and going 5-0 in Pancrase.

UFC 18 (1999) Evan goes to UFC and faces tough Darrel Gholar, it is a good tough ground fight that eventually see's Tanner get Gholars back and get the Rear Naked Choke in just over 7 minutes. Tanner is 17-1.

At UFC 19 Evan is facing Valeri Ignatov. It is the first time that we get a glimpse of Tanner's ground and Pound as he drops the ferocious elbows he became known for from the top. Ignatov is knocked out in over 2 minutes.

Tanner leaves the UFC and fights 5 fights in Pancrase and USWF. He goes 4-1, losing to Leon Dijk to knee's to the head in over 10 minutes, and defeats Travis Fulton. He then goes back to the UFC with a record of 22-2.

At UFC 29 Tanner is facing Lance Gibson, Tanner gets Gibson grounded and unleashes the elbows and ground and pound. It is over in under 5 minutes.

At UFC 30 Tanner is facing Tito Ortiz in the main event for the Light Heavyweight Title. It is over instantly. Evan goes for a takedown and sadly knocks himself out in a move that will live in emphamy. It is over in 30 seconds. Evan is 23-3.

At UFC 34 Tanner gets back on the winning track by arm barring Homer Moore in the 2nd round. This is the beginning of a 4 fight win streak in the UFC. Tanner defeats Homer, Elvis Sinosic (36), Chase Haseman (38), and Shannon Ritch.

UFC 42 Evan who has dropped to Middleweight, is facing up and comer Rich Franklin. The two stayed standing and it didint go well for Evan. He was knocked out in the first round. Evan is know 27-4.

At UFC 45 Evan is facing Phil Baroni in a highly controversial match, some people think Tanner was tapping, either way, Baroni got knocked out in the first and a rematch was in order. At UFC 48 the rematch happened and this time went the distance. Tanner won a disputed decision but I think he deserved it.

UFC 50 Evan and Robbie Lawler went to war; for about 3 minutes. It ended with Robbie being in a deep triangle and tapping. Evan is 30-4 and it is decided that Evan will face David Terrell for the Middleweight Title (the title was on ice since Bustamante left UFC).

At UFC 51, we have a man vs a boy and it shows. Terrell the flashy young fighter who alot of people were high on, is man handled in Tanners best performance. with 25 seconds left in the first round Tanner knocks Terrell out to win the UFC Middleweight Title.

At UFC 53 Evan Tanner is facing Rich Franklin, This time the two go nearly 5 rounds, Rich is still the better fighter but it is a good close championship fight. The Doctor stopped the fight as Tanner was cut pretty bad and Rich won his title. At Ultimate Fight Night Tanner losses again to David Louisseau from cuts again. This time louisseaus elbows were the ones that did the cutting.

In Evans last 3 fights Evan went 1-2 beating Justin Levens via triangle and losing to Okami and Kendall Grove. Evan Tanner was sadly found dead in a Las Vegas desert (if I remembered the location right).. It was a sad end to one of the ultimate warriors, competitors, and good guys in the UFC.

Evans official record stands at 32-8. He has wins over Heavyweights like Heath Herring and Paul Buentello, as well as such good fighters as Elvis Sinosic, David Terrell, Robbie Lawler, Phil Baroni, and Minowa.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 9:49 pm

Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 10:41 pm

trained with the guy, he was different but good dude. He would train for a fight then hit mexico for a month.
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 11:07 pm

Tanner was an entertaining fighter and had a tragic end BUT..............

.............................the sickening amount of Tanner worship by some after his death was completely creepy. Like uncle-that-touches-you-funny-creepy. People completely freaking out about the UFC not doing enough to remember his memory or people demanding that he immediately be inducted into the UFC hall of fame.

I guess some of that is a natural reaction once one dies, but it seemed a little more (a lot more) weird this time.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:19 am

Cu Bua wrote:
trained with the guy, he was different but good dude. He would train for a fight then hit mexico for a month.

thats awesome, was always a fan of Tanner, cant blame him, mexico rocks
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:22 am

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:

.............................the sickening amount of Tanner worship by some after his death was completely creepy. Like uncle-that-touches-you-funny-creepy. People completely freaking out about the UFC not doing enough to remember his memory or people demanding that he immediately be inducted into the UFC hall of fame.

I guess some of that is a natural reaction once one dies, but it seemed a little more (a lot more) weird this time.

he was a fan favorite to hardocre and casual fans alike

11-6 UFC record, 10-2 before his last 5 fights (2005-2008) , I think he is pretty deserving of the hall to be honest
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

PostSubject: Re: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:25 am

Birdofthad wrote:
KrazyHorseBennett wrote:

11-6 UFC record, 10-2 before his last 5 fights (2005-2008) , I think he is pretty deserving of the hall to be honest

To me it's like Arturo Gatti in the HOF.

I don't think that should happen either. Others will disagree, and they have every right to do so.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:33 am

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:
KrazyHorseBennett wrote:

I don't think that should happen either. Others will disagree, and they have every right to do so.

ehh we gotta remember UFC is a brand, boxing isnt

Evan Tanner did alot for UFC and headlined alot for them.

and Gatti should get in if Barry McGuigan and Jose Sulimain can make the damn thing Mad
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

PostSubject: Re: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:44 am

Birdofthad wrote:
KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:
KrazyHorseBennett wrote:

ehh we gotta remember UFC is a brand, boxing isnt

Evan Tanner did alot for UFC and headlined alot for them.

and Gatti should get in if Barry McGuigan and Jose Sulimain can make the damn thing Mad

Re: Gatti. I've always said someone shouldn't be inducted because there were prior inductions that were shitty decisions.

As far as the UFC, I guess you are correct to an extent. But what exactly is the HOF in the UFC? With it being such a young business, is the HOF for the pioneers of the brand that helped make it what it is today or is the HOF a group of the best of the best of the best? Or is it a little bit of both?

I guess different people look at it in different ways. It's such a subjective subject.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 1:35 pm

you nailed it on the head Krazy, what is it?

I think its both

men that were elite fighters in their prime and that helped further the sport

Royce, Shamrock, Severn, Coleman, Chuck, and Randy all did that

I think Tanner would be a good inductee

plus he had a better UFC record than Dan (10-4), Ken (7-6-2), and Coleman (7-5)

Add in he held the title, I think he is worthy
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 1:39 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
Cu Bua wrote:

thats awesome, was always a fan of Tanner, cant blame him, mexico rocks

yeah he would do a fight disapear and come back month or more later, think he liked the drinks too much but basically tought himself well into his progression as a fighter
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Good this is.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 8:37 pm

glad ya liked it gdp
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner   A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner Empty

Back to top Go down

A Real Warrior : The Greatness of Evan Tanner
Page 1 of 1