Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?

Go down 
+5
muayjitsu
Wolfgangsta
bobbitt15
LA
CombatSports4Life
9 posters
AuthorMessage
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

Favorite Fighter(s) : FEDOR

Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 12:58 am

Bloodyelbow.com sure seems to think so and it looks to me as if they are on to something. Please god make this happen.

Bloody Elbow can confirm that John Skipper, Executive Vice President at ESPN in charge of content attended UFC 100 as a guest of Dana White. This was the first UFC event he has ever attended.

Is something brewing between the UFC and ESPN? When Bob Ryan said that the producers of PTI told him he had to talk about MMA for five minutes, it made me wonder if ESPN's extensive coverage of the UFC after UFC 100 had something to do with a potential business deal with the UFC.

There are rumors circling that the UFC is in the closing stages of a deal to bring a major live show to network television. Dana White added fuel to this fire on July 21 when he told ESPN radio that he is currently negotiating a deal to bring the UFC to a major network. The UFC's deal with Spike TV is cable-exclusive, but would not prevent a deal with ABC, a network whose sports coverage is entirely delegated to ESPN ("ABC Sports" is now "ESPN on ABC.")

I've avoided reporting on potential UFC network deals for the last year because they come up and fall through so often. But it appears something is brewing between the UFC and ESPN. Whether or not it actually pans out is a whole different story.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/7/24/960850/bloody-elbow-exclusive-major-espn
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 1:29 am

Personally I'd rather have this then even Fedor, no joke.
Back to top Go down
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

PostSubject: Re: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 1:39 am

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Personally I'd rather have this then even Fedor, no joke.

I could enjoy watching Fedor beating up anyone honestly. I'd love to see him in the UFC before it's too late but his legacy has been set for a while IMO. So yeah I would completely agree that something like this would be FAR bigger for the entire sport.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 1:44 am

This would be huge news
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 2:06 am

http://www.watchkalibrun.com/2009/7/23/960480/e-60-banned-from-the-ufc

The UFC has just banned ESPN from attending future events. Deal not likely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

PostSubject: Re: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 2:13 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
http://www.watchkalibrun.com/2009/7/23/960480/e-60-banned-from-the-ufc

The UFC has just banned ESPN from attending future events. Deal not likely.

UFC didn't ban ESPN they just put a ban on E:60. Believe me there is a difference. They just had the Vice president of operations at UFC 100 then subsequently ESPN was directed to discuss MMA more. The deal may fall through like other deals but it won't be because of E:60 lol.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 2:35 am

What would mma on espn look like??? I mean Dana has so much freedom with the production of his shows right now and getting a major network to buy in may change the presentation. Just wondering either way it would be a good thing for the sport.
Back to top Go down
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

PostSubject: Re: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 3:01 am

muayjitsu wrote:
What would mma on espn look like??? I mean Dana has so much freedom with the production of his shows right now and getting a major network to buy in may change the presentation. Just wondering either way it would be a good thing for the sport.

Well I'm guessing Joe wouldn't be allowed to say camel's vagina anymore on air.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 3:27 am

CombatSports4Life wrote:
muayjitsu wrote:

Well I'm guessing Joe wouldn't be allowed to say camel's vagina anymore on air.

LOL!! Im sure they would want at least one person employed by espn commentating also and it would become a 3 man team.
Back to top Go down
CainVelasquezFan
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
CainVelasquezFan

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cain Velasquez and Diaz Brothers, Urijah Faber, Gilbert Melendez and Jon Jones

PostSubject: Re: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 4:11 am

good stuff combat.. it would be so epic if this were to happen!
Back to top Go down
thome_nerko
White Belt
White Belt
thome_nerko

Favorite Fighter(s) : Your Mom

PostSubject: Re: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 11:13 am

I noticed something minor yesterday that is completely unrelated....when I surfed to Yahoo Sports to read the various MMA columns; they were always under the link "MMA". When I went yesterday the "MMA" link had been replaced by a "UFC" link.
Back to top Go down
Thomasdrrn09
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
Thomasdrrn09

Favorite Fighter(s) : MMA-Forrest Griffin, Nate Diaz, GSP Boxing-Cotto,

PostSubject: Re: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 1:33 pm

thome_nerko wrote:
I noticed something minor yesterday that is completely unrelated....when I surfed to Yahoo Sports to read the various MMA columns; they were always under the link "MMA". When I went yesterday the "MMA" link had been replaced by a "UFC" link.
that has been like that for a few weeks now.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage, Fedor, Gangster brothers, Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 6:35 pm

There is no deal better than this one for the UFC, period.
Back to top Go down
https://apps.facebook.com/groupsplus/group.php?id=2139
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?   Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is UFC close to an ESPN Deal?
Page 1 of 1